THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Woodleigh - 9,3 (x64) - new 320 gr. PP bullet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh - 9,3 (x64) - new 320 gr. PP bullet
 Login/Join

<Ola>
posted
TOO GOOD TO BEE TRUE??!

After testing the 320 gr.rn from Woodleigh in august I found the bullet to be quite soft for the 9,3x64. It expanded perfect at 220 yds, V0=730 m/s (Divide m/s with the factor 0,3048 and you have the velocity in f/s). I found the penetration to be less than I find optimum.

One evening in september I was in the creative corner, and sendt a mail to Woodleigh about my thoughts. In the same e-mail I hinted about my wiches for a new bullet in 9,3. Keywords for my whiches were a weight of about 320 gr., a thicker jacket in the rear, preventing the expansion to go far back on the bullet, still wanting early initial expansion, and a crimping-cannelure that give a carteridge length of 85 mm.

1 1/2 week later a got a mail from a gentleman named Geoff McDonald, working for the Woodleigh bullets company. He told they had plans for a PP bullet of 286 gr in 9,3. They had considered my thoughts and would go for the 320 gr. bullet "I wanted" as well. "Very well I thought, hope it will be realised in a year or two".

You now what?
THIS VERY AFTERNOON I GOT 100 SAMPLES OF THE NEW 320 gr. PP BULLET IN 9,3 FOR TESTING. [Smile] [Smile] [Big Grin] The new bullet looks "beautiful", and have a shape that stands no back of the BC of a good constructed .338 bullet. I guess BC lies about .440 or even a litle higher. Very good SD too, of corse.

Looking forward to tomorrow afternoon. Going for some initial testing then. Hope there will be a chance to put one of them in a moose before end of the season!!

I was lucky that Woodleigh was thinking of a bullet that was quite like, in the same calibre in the same time. Still the Woodleigh company must be one of the most sensitive and positive companies acording to the whices from the market. I have never, and will probably never, experience such an extraordinary exelent service from any producer of any product!!! [Wink]

Reports of the testing results are to come soon!

[ 10-15-2002, 02:20: Message edited by: Ola ]

<JOHAN>
posted
Ola

I have been thinking about a 9,3-404 for some time. I guess the heavy 9,3 bullets would work fine for big game. Do you have any pictures on recoverd bullets [Big Grin]
The BC and SD of the 9,3 bullets from 285-320 grains are very nasty compared to 338,358 and 375 [Big Grin]

How fast do you think a 285-320 grain bullet would be pushed in a 9,3-404 with 26 inch barrel?

A fast 9,3 would be a good gun in a safari duo with a 416 or 450.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola JOHAN
a 9,3 - 404 it's a 9,3 x 70 Magnum , check on Hatari Times com on rifles you'll see the article on this fine cartridges.
Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodeligh bullets perform excellently for me as well, just wish I had a 9.3 to use them in as well !! [Frown]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ola

The original 320 grain bullet (solid or soft)is made for the .360 #2. An English Double Rifle Caliber equivalent to the 9.3 x 74 R in power. 2200fps.

Geoff McDonald is the owner of Woodliegh.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Daniel M
you gringo [Big Grin]

I know about the hatari times article and have read it a few times.. [Big Grin]

I want 30-35 degrees shoulder angle. The 9,3X70 case has been shortend about 3 mm I guess. The velocity would be something in the ball park of the 338-404 and the 375-404 [Big Grin]

I wonder how recoil will be [Eek!]

I guess you think it's tempting with a 9,3 cannon for the wild porkers [Big Grin]

Hasta luego

/ JOHAN

<Ola>
posted
Hello Mickey!

I know that the 320 gr. rn is produced for an old english double rifle calibre giving a limited velocity.

What I did not know before I had posted last evenings topic was that Geoff McDonald is the owner of Woodleigh bullets...! Found out when reading a brosure laying with the bullets delivered, after posting the topic.

Regarding to loads for the bullet:
Have only tried two shots with a Norma 4 powder. The bullet seems to give low pressure compared to the swift bullets. Have to use another powder that do not fill the case as much as the Norma 4.

Will try one load with Vhitavuori N-550 tomorrow.

Ola

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a rifle chambered in a 9.3/404 wildcat. It's not the 9.3x70 Mag but rather a cartridge designed by a local smith quite a few years ago. I've used it on game up to and including feral camel and water buffalo with projectile weights from 250gn to 320gn. My main load now is 270gn speers at around 2800fps in a 25" barrel. I could probably go hotter than this but nothing I've ever shot with it has done anything but drop instantly. Recoil is about the same as a 375 H&H I have. Nothing to worry about.

RJW

Posts: 71 | Location: Kununurra, Western Australia | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Johan

Yes I'm tempted to flatten wild boars with a 9,3 x 70 [Big Grin] , last week end I shoot a nice 13 point red deer with my 9,3 x 64 in a driven hunt and with all the adrenalin , I thought the first shoot was a miss [Confused] , the deer fell on the second shoot at the neck , then I found a lever shoot , and Oryx in 232 at 2600 + fps don't exit , but I was unable to locate the bullet , next week I'll change to SP Norma 286 grains .

I have a friend in Germany he have two 9,3 x 70 Magnum , it's a semi wildcat , ( not for sure it have a cip acceptance ) , Horneber manufactures brass and R Johannsen sold brass under the name Xpert with the right headstamp , hope to visit my friend at the end of the year and I'll test fire the rifles ( both on P 14 actions ) , I assume the recoil should be on a par with 378 wea. , I don't like sharp shoulders , I prefer sloppy ones are easy to feeding .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
RJW

Good news. WOuld you like to tell us a bit more about your wildcat and what velocity you get out.

A picture would be nice too [Big Grin]

Daniel, so why have you no nastier load in the 9,3X64. Is it possible to push a 285 grainer in the same speed as a warm loaded 270 grainer in 375H&H?

I guess sharp shoulder cause a bit of trouble, but cartridges with sharp shoulder looks better that the old beer bottles [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

I'm out bush at present and don't have the rifle with me. I'll be home next week and I'll send you some photo's of the rifle and cartridge if you like. I've also got cartridge dimensions and load data somewhere. I'll dig them up and you can have a look.

Regards

RJW

Posts: 71 | Location: Kununurra, Western Australia | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Great News about the bullet should work well in the 9.3x64 as well as the 62, problem is getting hold of them

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
Is there a 9.3 wildcat based on the Rem Ultra Mag case?

<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mod 12:
Is there a 9.3 wildcat based on the Rem Ultra Mag case?

No, not as far as I know.

But there are a few on the 404 case, which makes the ultra case based round a perfect solution to a non excisting problem [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you and your thread Ola. I have been wondering about these loads and the widcats mentioned. Hope to get the info and pictures of the 9.3X.404. The p-14 should be a good start for this hot wildcat. Lots of room in the magazine area. Packrat [Wink]