New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Montana 84L
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an interest in this rifle, in .30-06, due to it's light weight and was wondering if anyone, who owns one, could offer their opinion? Of course I found the usual negative comments about the Montana in general on the net, but many of these seem older and I know there has to be a bunch of owners out there who are happy.

Thanks

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Click here and hunt through the hunting rifles section...lots of guy use and like this rifle.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sold a Montana in 270 WSM. The new owner sent me a photo of a target back that he shot with 140gr Accubond handloads...under 1/4". Like most rifles, if you work with them, they'll respond.

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would consider an 8400 in .300 WSM, but it's heavier and with today's .30-06 loads, there's not too much difference between the two when you're comfort zone is 300 yards or less.

I handled a walnut M84 today and it was nice. The quality looked good and it shouldered nicely. I cannot believe how light it is though. It does have a really nice recoil pad on it and I assume it, along with the straight comb stock, would absorb much of the 06's recoil in such a light rifle.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have two Kimbers a 7-08 and a .22LR both are classic grade and both are NY built both are loved.

I only have one knock with the Kimber 84 rifle, the bolt...next time you handle one cycle the bolt forward with a slight "up" preasure....it will bind and not go forward.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dthfrmbv:
I have an interest in this rifle, in .30-06, due to it's light weight and was wondering if anyone, who owns one, could offer their opinion? Of course I found the usual negative comments about the Montana in general on the net, but many of these seem older and I know there has to be a bunch of owners out there who are happy.

Thanks

Sir,

I/ve owned 6 of the NY Kimbers, IIRC. Three classics and three Montanas. 260 rem bought new, 308 and 325 WSM bought used. All would shoot an inch or under at 100 yds. with my handloads. Most of the game I shoot is at ranges of 200 yds and under. They work great for that. If you can pick them up used for between $650 and $850 used you can't hardly go wrong.
The Montanas are perfect if you are wanting a light rifle you can sling, throw over your shoulder and head out and slog up and down in just about any conditions. Heat, dust, rain, snow, grit, gumbo mud, rocks, cactus cedar thickets. The are almost impervious to the elements and if you scratch up the stocks you can always paint them to you liking. Hone the action with some 260 to 600 grit rubbing compound on a sinclair tool using their rectangular cotton pad, the apply some good grease or moly disulfide and it will make the action slicker than owlshit. You can adjust the trigger just like a remington your self. Shim between the stock and action (at the location of the action screws) with some poster board or aluminum foil, open up the barrel channel a bit with some sandpaper on a dowel rod and you should be good to go. I would not hesitate to buy another one, at the price mentioned above.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote