New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako dream rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
!st post, just found the forum and reminds me of another great forum that went by the wayside a couple months ago.

Here is my quest. I have a Sako 75 Finnlight 300WSM which IMHO is the best production rifle ever made. Not to bore you w/ details but it fits me like a glove and a real pleasure to shoot, they will have to pry it from my dead hands.

However, I want a 270 WSM (finnlight)?? with a blind magazine (like the Kimber Montana). I have money to burn and lay awake at night dreaming of this rifle. I thought about taking my chance on a kimber, but I really hate the stock. Looked at a Rem Mountain LSS and replace the stock with a hunters edge, but that just doesnt blow any wind up my skirt. A bit ago I had heard that you can attach a bottom plate to a Sako 75, but this was never confirmed.

.... just sitting here dreaming of a sheep hunt.

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF i were you, if buy the sako. you could even try a new 85 finnlight.

I love the look of the 75s stock but have never used one before.

It sounds like the Sako is what you really want and at the end of the day if your happy with it then it doenst matter what anyone else thinks.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon

I hate to burst your bubble, but if you have a 300WSM that you like, why do you need a 270 WSM??? They do the same work.

If you need less than a 300 WSM, get a 308, or a 7mm08 or a 260.

In a SAKO if that is what you like.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Jon

In the instruction manual of the 75 it states that you can replace the detach mag with a floor plate option. I would contact the importer where ever that maybe for you and ask them if they can back up what the manual says can be done.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
BTW

Tomorrow I collect my new 85 SS in 300 WSM which if I recall correctly is about the same weight as the 75 Finnlight.

The 85 maybe an option for you although I am not sure wether the 85 can be converted to take a floor plate.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 85 is slightly lighter, I think 4 oz, and would do the trick, but I want a blind mag.

I completely agree, that the 300 WSM is very similar, but this is a sheep/O'Connor thing that I have been thinking about for years
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/sheep_061305/

I have checked on adding a floor-plate to a Sako, but have had no luck. I may end up with a std. 270 at which I could get a Rem Mountain LSS and re-stock it, or get a weatherby ultralight.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Go for the Montana! Although I am an avid Sako collector, I believe the stock on the Montana is far superior in build quality - Kevlar vs.tupperware, and it has a blind magazine. I have one in 7-08 and it's truly a pleasure to carry in the field. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you prefer the Monte-Carlo style stock just buy a Sako 85 Finnlite in 270 WSM and put a McMillan Edge on it. Fish3014 had one done up and posting some pics somewhere around here.
The new 85's mag release would be the next best thing to a blind floorplate - it won't come out unless you really try...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want a blind magazine, I'd do it with a McMillan stock. I like my 75 with its factory stock (and floorplate) but would replace it with the McMillan if I wanted another synthetic.....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ- I have been following Fish's build and am leaning towards that solution. I am interested to find out is the McMillan is lighter than the 85 synthetic stock.

Dan H. - Can I add a blind magazine by simply replacing the stock? If that is the case, then that is the answer to my quest. I thought that McMillan was to replace a factory original stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dream rifle, money to burn...

call Ingemar Johanssen!

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I want a 270 WSM (finnlight)?? with a blind magazine (like the Kimber Montana).

What a strange thing to want. Personally, I cant think of a worse feature on a rifle than a blind magazine.

Why do you want a rifle with a blind magazine ?

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What a strange thing to want. Personally, I cant think of a worse feature on a rifle than a blind magazine.

Why do you want a rifle with a blind magazine ?

Dont tell Kimber that, they spent a small fortune, and made a larger one with this design. For a lightweight mtn rifle, its one of the best features. Reduces weight, sound, and the problem of a lost magazine. And in colder weather with bulkly gloves I have seen my father unload his rifle by accident by brushing the floorplate release.

You must spend alot of time unloading your gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You must spend alot of time unloading your gun.

No Jon, I only use detachable magazines most of the time.

I dont like internal or flore plate magazines. I find they are difficult to load correctly with gloves on

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
You couldn't give me a rifle with a detachable floorplate.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like my dear ol' daddy told me 40 years ago: 'Design exactly the rifle you want from one end to the other, and then either build it, or have it built. If you don't, you will spend money for the rest of your life trying to get close'. I have gone thru hundreds of rifles and finally decided to have each one built to MY desires. I'm finally done spending money and spending more time hunting with a smile on my face. And it only took 40 years!

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all have are preferences,
I like a hinged floor plate. Can't see why anyone would want a detacable mag on a huting rifle.
Fine if you like them but I don't want any parts I can loose.
Clearly the sako is a great rifle , but so is the Kimber.
And it does,nt matter wether you need ome or not.
I have 2 .257 roberts and a 25,06. I don't need the Roberts AI at all.
Wonder when my smith is going to call and tell me its ready, and how much the bill is !
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
freedom1st

TJ, and others, on the DBM, I never liked them or wanted one, and did not buy a Tikka due to the plastic, but I did get a 75 Grey Wolf recently, and my concerns are not there with it, having used it some, load and use it like any floorplate model, I don't load and unload by taking mag in and out. Doesn't seem easy to drop out like some worry, not in my ltd experience.

I DID have a M70 syn/matte carbine in 7/08 that dumped the shells in the snow at camp thankfully, but I had to dig for the shells, so the Winchester floorplate HAS a weak spot if you want to worry. I DON"T worry about the Sako and trust their engineering. That said, my 338/06 was on an ADL SS 700, the first w/plastic heavy stocks, unlike the light ones. Filled it with styro peanuts for sound reduction, and NEVER missed not having a floorplate. Just isn't much trouble to pop the shells a half inch or so to clear the mag, tilt to the side and empty.....takes seconds. I could live w/o a floorplate and agree with Pros of blind mag.....all a personal choice.

There IS something to say for the tactical sniper rifles for fast reload and/or ammo change if that is your cup of tea. Hunting rifles I don't care. Never missed having a blind mag either on my Ruger #1's! Big Grin

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Check out the new Cooper model 52, as well.
There are several stock options available. BT

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Read a test article......NICE, also good to see the 338/06 chambering.

That said, pricey for my wallet.....

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Cooper 52 didnt solve my problem completely, but I am building a list of custom rifles that I may someday purchase. I think the Sako 85 in 270WSM is gonna find its way into my gun safe next to my 75 300WSM.

It just feels so good when I shoulder it.

Jon