New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM
 Login/Join

<Catlike>
posted
Does anyone own a rifle in this cartridge?
How does it compare to the 270 Win. in recoil?

I am looking for a fun gun to shoot and hunt with.

<Caveman>
posted
Catlike,

I have one in a Model 70 Featherweight. I shot it for the first time on Saturday. I love it. Recoil was no more than my 270 Win. I posted some remarks on in the Big Game section the other day. I think I titled it 270 WSM accuracy update you may want to read. It shot excellent! I think I'm in love.

Good luck,

Corey

<Catlike>
posted
Corey,

I read your post on the "Big Game" board. Your new gun sounds really nice! That Model 70 Classic Featherweight is exactly what I'm looking at. The shells not chambering smooth is kind of a worry, but may be nothing. Does that still occur?

What kind of scope and rings did you mount on it and what'd you pay for it, the gun that is?

I like the light recoil aspect, I had a 7mm Mag in a Savage, and that sucker was brutal!!

I shoot a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun now, but the recoil is a nice recoil, big but nice.

<Caveman>
posted
Catlike,

The rounds chamber perfectly, smooth as my newborn's behind! That is not what I meant. The rifle holds three rounds in the magazine. They fit in there very tight, when you close the bolt over the top of the three in the magazine, its tight! But, That is the nature of the cartridge. They are extremely fat cartridges. I topped it with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 with Leupold 2 piece bases. I actually traded for the gun, but I think they are selling for around $550. I am not sure.

Also, I just noticed on the Remington website that they are now making 270 WSM ammo as well.

Good luck.

Corey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey,

Do you know what your rifle weighs with the Zeiss Conquest on top? I just got a Featherweight in 300 WSM and I need to scope it. I'm having a hard time deciding which scope because I don't want to put something too big on it.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Caveman>
posted
CraigP,

I have not weighed the gun, but Winchester says the FWT in WSM's weighs 7.5 lbs. I think the Conquest weighs 13 oz. So, its knocking on the door of 8.5 lbs. But, I like the set up. Let us know what you decide on and how the gun shoots.

Corey