THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    7mm Remington Magnum & Tipped TSX 140 gr Barnes??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Remington Magnum & Tipped TSX 140 gr Barnes??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamiah Kid
posted
I anyone loading this bullet in their 7mm RM? If so how's is it working?

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, Idaho | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PATRIOT76
posted Hide Post
i am thinking of trying this myself!

Posts: 442 | Location: usa | Registered: 24 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamiah, just got back from the range this evening and tried some in a 7mag barrel I have for one of my Sauer 202 takedowns.

I've been waiting on a custom in 7mm, but alas it is very late in delivery. I ordered the tipped TSX's as soon as they became available, in anticiaption of this custom 7. Unbelievably, I don't actually have a 'dedicated barrel' rifle in a 7 cal.

Sorry for the babbling, but in short, the damn things shot awesome. I used a load I had developed for that barrel with 140 gr Sierra Game Kings, pushed it up a couple of grains, cause in my experience that works with TSX's, and voila'--1/2 minute at 200 yards. The TSX's impacted about 1 1/2" higher than the SGK's, but just as tight of groups--actually a bit tighter today, but I shot them in the second volley, and maybe I was a little more settled down, as well as maybe my rifle???

I didn't have my chrono today, but figure they're right in the zone with my SGK's. I'm anxious to put one of the new Tipped TSX's into a game animal, I'm expecting good things.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamiah Kid
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they shoot good in your rifle Don. I am going to give them a try. I have a Spring Black Bear hunt coiming up in SE Alaska this Spring and am consssidering using them.

Regards,
Fred

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, Idaho | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen in media testing done by others the Tipped TSX is a much more reliably expanding bullet than previous Barnes efforts.

I have not seen anyone succede in making a Tipped TSX "close up" it's nose and FMJ through media, so I'd be inclined to say that
they have that problem licked once and for all.

I have two boxes of the tipped 140's
and look forward to seeing just how much RL22 I can squeeze in behind them in my Heavy Hart barreled 7mmMag.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kamiah, they definitely shoot well, and I would think they would be a hammer on black bear. You could reach out a long way if you needed to, but I think they would open up at (typical) close ranges you encounter with bear hunting too!

Let us know what you end up with.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote