THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    .257 Roberts, .257 Weatherby, or .257 Ackley???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts, .257 Weatherby, or .257 Ackley???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you like and why?

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
25-06 because brass is easier to make do with.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 Bob. It is a mild, old classic, much like me. vbg

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on your needs.
I have a couple of Bobs and a couple of 0-6's.
if I get another 25 it'll be the weatherby.
simply cause I ain't got one [shrug]

I guess if I was gonna shoot anything over 300yds. away the weatherby would be of help, but since I won't, not that I can't or don't have the opportunity, just that I won't, I don't need one.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 AI all the way.

Mine is crazy accurate even with fire forming loads and a pleasure to shoot. Balistically the twin of the 06 and the Weatherby is simply overview.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1038 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .257 Wby in Weatherby Accumark for several years. I mounted a 6X24 Burris Signature scope. It is an extremely accurate combo. 100 grain Nosler protected point bullet 3650 fps and 120 grain Nosler Partition bullet at 3500 fps both with pin point accuracy. Ideal bean field Deer rifles in my neck of the woods. I like speed that takes the thinking out of hold over shots. My grandsons say you can see a flea on a Deers balls at 100 yards. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I’d say the Original Bob…as I have one that delivers 100gr. Pills at 3000 fps…or 117 gr. SGK’s at 2800 fps.

Mild, accurate, just plain wonderful cartridge that simply works.

Having said that…I’ve always wanted a Roy .25…maybe one day!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I have had the Bob, the 06, and made the first 257WSM in 2000, which was close enough to the Roy to not make a difference.

I still have the Bob, and my kids have all taken their first deer with it .. mild, accurate, and kills deer dead

the '06 was too much recoil and report for the diff in vels .. sold it off

the 257 wsm was THE MOST BORING CART i ever invented ... was it fast? on yeah, was it accurate? frankly, boringly so, and i eventually took the rifle apart and made the first 416 AccRel on it -

I kept the Bob

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
All of the above?

I put together a standard Roberts for my daughter, mild recoil, 100 gr Nosler ballistic tips. Plenty good for white tails.

I put together an Ackley Roberts for me because I wanted one (AI) and I had a std Roberts with a barrel needing changed.

I bought a 257 Wby mag because the AI Roberts was taking forever to get done by an old gunsmith that decided to crawl inside a whiskey bottle and live there.

I like the Wby mag for "way out there" potential on speed goats, or those horrible little Coues whitetails in S AZ.

I like the AI Roberts for anything deer shaped up here in ND. Shots are seldom long here, and either it or my 7-30 Waters are more than enough.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive got both Bobs. I like the standard version because no fire forming. They are both great though.

Quite a jump from those to the Wby. Why not 25-06?

I kind of wish I had a 25 souper really. Seems like a potentially excellent 1/4 bore to me.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Roberts since forever. I settled on using a 110 gr. bullet at 2,984 fps. Boringly accurate, and a lifetime supply of brass as well.

I have a .308 about shot out and been considering having a 25 souper built on it.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I love the .25-06 and .257 Roberts. I have rifles in both calibers. As I say, I love those quarter bores.

I have never felt the need, but I confess that I have sometimes felt a certain desire, for the Weatherby. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
.257 Weatherby for me. Haven’t tried the other two so no basis for comparison
but
I’ve had only one-shot, DRT on whitetails with the WBY whether close in the Catskills of NY or way out there in the bean fields of NC.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 257 Robts but my all time favorite is the 250-3000, mild of recoil, a soft voice, and seems to kill as well as most of my bigger guns up to a point...Its nice in my old age not to loosen my molars with un-needed recoil and muzzle blast.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I go for the 25/06 taken a few deer with both

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IN addition to the Weatherby I have shot extensively an A-Bolt Browning in 25 wssm for years. With 100 grain Nosler T-Tips and Nosler Partition 120 grainers it is a pleasure to shoot. It has accounted for many Whitetails for me and grandsons and great grandson. Very light mounted with a 4X14 Ziess Conquest it is a deadly combo. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All,
Thanks for the advice. I decided to compromise and get all three....

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wise move!! rotflmo

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1283 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought one of the new Ruger 77 Hawkeye ultra lights in 6.5 Creedmoor. black composit stock and stainless steel, shot a box of handloads in it (1x8 twist) its accurate as can be but Im just not sold on the round itself..

I'm going to stick along throated 250-3000 std or Ackley barrel on it as I have 30 boxes of factory 250 ammo, several hundred handloads, and 18 boxes of new 250 WW brass and several 99s and a washtub full of once fired 22-250 for hard times..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I sold it and bought a Fabrique Nationale original 250-3000, a caliber I love..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I just bought one of the new Ruger 77 Hawkeye ultra lights in 6.5 Creedmoor. black composit stock and stainless steel, shot a box of handloads in it (1x8 twist) its accurate as can be but Im just not sold on the round itself..

I'm going to stick along throated 250-3000 std or Ackley barrel on it as I have 30 boxes of factory 250 ammo, several hundred handloads, and 18 boxes of new 250 WW brass and several 99s and a washtub full of once fired 22-250 for hard times..

I am slowly building a 6.5 on a Mauser action; classic European look. I chose the 6.5 simply because good shelf ammo is available everywhere now. If it dries up I will rebarrel and rework to the .257 "Bob".

I've seen excellent results from both. There is something about the .257 I just want shelf ammo.

Posts: 522 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, if the little Savage Model 1920 had come with a faster-twist barrel, I would probably still be running a .250-3000. It's one of those "finesse" cartridges.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a custom mauser that was converted to .257 Roberts. It shot horribly. I put a Shilen barrel and had it converted to 7x57. I shot it today and shots were overlapping.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote