Find
Notify
Tools

M70 accuracy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6_5X57
posted
Everybody knows that new M70 are been made in a new plant in S. Carolina. The manufacturers say, these new rifles gets very good accuracy, mainly because their barrel and trigger system. But what are your personal experiences with these new M70 rifles?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Posts: 152 | Location: Almeria (Spain) | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
my old one is accurate enough: 20mm for 5 shots .375hh
but i would like to know the new ones accuracy as well...

klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello 6_5x57

The "American Rifleman" did a review of the M70 and the plant operation some few years ago and perhaps you could source/search their web site for a reprint?? Lengthy, detailed report, but the accuracy shown on test firing was not that great. Quoted something in the range of 1.5-2" at 100yds. It was stated that the barrels are contracted to another source, supplier. Friend of mine had one of the first New ones and he sent it back for messed up blueing/finish but he does like the replacement they sent him. His delivers accuracy-'06 caliber-in the 1" plus range @ 100yds and their trigger is crisp, some 3lbs let off. Good luck.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems the only complaints with the accuracy of the new rifle is from those that don't own one!

Of those that do have one the comments are good. The trigger is better as well.

I sure like mine in .270 and other threads here attest to positive results.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Featherweight Deluxe movel in .270 WSM and couldn't be happier with the rifle, the stock looks like it came out of the Custom Shop. I got my first one hole group within 20 shots, but I already had a New Haven .270 WSM in the Ultimate Shadow that I had load developed with. I love the trigger, it shoots those great groups with 130 grain Nosler Solidbase and 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or Barnes TSX. I have a small horde of 130 and 150 grain North Forks that also shoot tiny groups somewhat faster than other bullets. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2350 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MY FWT M70 shoots almost everything I have put thru it in about an inch. There have been several very long threads on 24-hour campfire, where owners of the new M70's have consistently praised their accuracy and performance.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a brand new M-70 Extreme SS in .30-06. It is a very well put together rifle it feeds functions and fires very nicely. It only had one major problem it wouldn't hold any kind of a group with any loading at any range.

I was fairly PO'ed. I called my gunsmith who said that he had 3 new M-70's in at the present for the same problem with erratic accuracy.

To make a long story short he glass bedded the action and re cut the crown as the factory crown wasn't centered to the bore.

The rifle now shoots somewhere slightly under MOA. And I do like it very much, but the guys at the Utah plant where this rifle was built need to get there collective shit together or these rifles are going to obtain a very bad reputation very fast.

Like it or not that's my story with the new M-70.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I bought a brand new M-70 Extreme SS in .30-06.

....at the Utah plant where this rifle was built....

Your new Model 70 was built at a Winchester plant in UTAH???

Interesting. When did that plant come into being? Does it just make the Model 70 "Extreme", or does it make other Winchesters as well?

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the new M70's are made in SC. The corporate HQ is in UT.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
All the new M70's are made in SC. The corporate HQ is in UT.

That's why I asked. My understanding is the same as yours Olarmy.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything i have read regarding the m70's made in sc speaks well of the quality and accuracy of the rifles.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whereever the dang thing was built it says Utah on the side. In any case you are welcome to do what you'd like with my experience with my new M-70 but I am not the only one.

I'd read nothing but good stuff about them either. They've got some QC issues at the plant. Plain and simple.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I like mod 70's for there robust and classic design and style. I like there claw extracter and the stainless models work really well here in AK.

One of my best friends is a mod 70 nut. He loves them and He is an accuracy nut as well. I think his attitude about the Winchesters pritty much hits the nail on the head. He says " a mod 70 is not a rifle. It is a parts kit."

I think most of the problem with the M70"s is the stock bedding.

The only one I currently have is a fetherweight .243. I got this rifle in the mid 90's So it is not a SC rifle. It took me years of range and shop time to get this rifle shooting like I wanted. I would have given up and gotten rid of it but the project of getting this thing to shoot turnned into a challenge I was'nt going to lose.

In the end the problem that took so long to overcome turned out to be with the scope and not the rife so that was no fault of the rifle but there was problems in the beginning with the rifle because it started out shooting about 3' groups. All the bedding work etc brought it down to about 1.5" then after that is when it took yrars to discover the optic's problem. Now it shoots under 1 MOA.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been hearing mostly good things as far as accuracy goes but for some reason those chambered in 30-06 seem to have accuracy issues.Maybe it's just the twist rate.The one reviewed in American Hunter was an 06 and most groups were none to good with some up around 3".

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
I've been hearing mostly good things as far as accuracy goes but for some reason those chambered in 30-06 seem to have accuracy issues.Maybe it's just the twist rate.The one reviewed in American Hunter was an 06 and most groups were none to good with some up around 3".

Interesting!!

Like I said mine in 06 was horrible but after a bedding job and a recrown it has settled into just at sub MOA.

I think what AK said is spot on. Bedding was my major issue with that rifle of course the crown being off center was just bad workmanship plain and simple that really bothered me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of the new Featherweights in 270 WSM and in 30-06 (sub-MOA). They shoot quite well, and the stocks look as if they were produced in the custom shop.

Posts: 61 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 30 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6_5X57:
Everybody knows that new M70 are been made in a new plant in S. Carolina. The manufacturers say, these new rifles gets very good accuracy, mainly because their barrel and trigger system. But what are your personal experiences with these new M70 rifles?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Here we go...... This "Rambotito" division of this outfit. Current issue of Shooting Times staff shot FN TSR and groups ranged from 2.33 inch to 3.68 inch at 300yards depending on brand of match ammo used. I would think their hunting rifles would also be quite accurate.

posted Hide Post
Thats what I've been thinking Paolo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a "PBR" in 308 Winchester. This rifle was sold by CDNN, has a plastic/rubber Hogue stock, the action was one of the last assembled at New Haven.

With 174 FMJBT's, surplus AA2520, CAVIM cases, it shoots about 1.25" at 100 yards.

If put in a better stock, bedded, better bullets, it might shoot better.

Slick action.

I don't like the four round detachable magazine. Not enough rounds, cuts my fingers when loading, rounds slide out the rear when loading. Also, costs $50.00!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Fn M-70 30-06 Featherweight shoots 168 grain CT Silvertips MOA 180 grain Ballistic Tips 1 1/4 and 200 grain Accubonds MOA consistantly.