New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Dia Moose Bullet ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So here it is. Now I will start by saying I have my own preference here (180 Nosler Partition) but a friend got drawn for a moose permit and he is unsure of what bullet he should shoot.
A little background is in order here. His rifle is an old model Ruger 77 in .300 Win. For white-tail he shoots a 150 Ballistic Tip, which is very accurate in his gun. My cousin and myself have recommended AGAINST this bullet for his moose hunt, I think for obvious reasons. I recommended the 180 Partition and offered to loan him some component bullets to try but he declined saying they didn't shoot "for s**t" in his rifle. I don't now exactly the group/pattern size he is talking but he is against the Partition. So, who has recommendations? Who has a similar gun and could maybe toss out a Pet Load or 2 with a Moose Suitable bullet. Thanks, Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
If he likes the 150 grain, I would recommend the 150 grain Failsafe. They are surprising accurate in the rifles that I have tested them in, and the weight retention is unbelievable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lone Eagle Your friend should surely listen to your advice. Any premium 180 or 200 gr bullet would be great for Moose. You never know when the Moose may be soaking wet, covered in mud, or a raking shot is called for. If he doesnot like Nosler Partitions, try Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Swift A Frame, Woodleighs, Failsafes, etc. If he doesnot have time to develop a good hand load try some factory loads. I always like to use my handloads, but I would far rather use the correct bullet in a factory load, than the wrong bullet in a handload no mater how accurate it is. The success of the whole trip can come down to the performance of ONE BULLET. Always stack the odds in your favor, choose a proper bullet for the game you are hunting, and have your rifle sighted in, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to back him up with my newest rifle, if I get it together. I figure those 510 gr Soft Points out of my .458 will slow him down in good shape [Big Grin] . Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I just finished developing a load for a buddies .300 Ultra Mag. He is going to New Mexico and hunt Elk on the East Marino Ranch, the lucky stiff won the Elk Foundation hunt that was raffled off last year. After a summer of shooting, we settled on a 200 gr. North Fork going 3000 fps that will put them in one hole when he has a good day pulling the trigger. This should be an excellent Moose bullet. The North Fork has a solid rear shank and bonded core front end, grooved to lessen fouling. It is super accurate and as tough as a Barnes X. [Wink] Good shooting.

<BC hunter>
posted
If your friend likes using the Nosler Bal tips, for accuracy, ask him to try the Nosler 180gr. Bal tips. This is a better bullet for moose, as it has a hevier jacket, and will penetrate further than the 150gr. I have used the 180gr Nos Bal tip for moose for 15 years, and have never lost one yet. The furthest I had one stumble after being shot in the neck was about 60 feet. Most of the have dropped on the spot, even with quartering shots, and several have been front shoulder hits. They dump thier energy quickly, but still penetrate. The accuracy is fantastic.
Just my humble opinion [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello LoneEagle.
I assume you want somthing eatable to BBQ after the hunt to?? [Razz]
If you can get your hands on a box of 180 grs. ORYX from Norma, try them. They wount let you down. Accurate and deadly, without blowing it all up. [Wink]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote