Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger rifles
 Login/Join

posted
Gentlemen, I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of folks who don't like Ruger bolt rifles. Will someone please explain to me what are the faults with the Rugers?

Posts: 13 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have had several and found them far less accurate than Rem 700s.
Won't own another.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
bchur:

I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy! First, someone starts a thread about how to get Rugers to shoot accurately. Then two more threads on why everyone is down on Ruger rifles. Do any of you guys work for Winchester? I have had a number of Rugers. Just bought another. They all shot great. IMHO, Ruger makes a great gun!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
My best shooting hunting gun is my 30-06 Ruger M77. 3/4 inch 100 yard groups even with Nosler partitions. It has no faults I can complain about. With great respect to the legacy of old man Ruger, the company has gotten its act together and is putting greater concentration on quality and accuracy than in recent years past.

My gun was a mid-70s tang safety rifle.

If you like the look of the Ruger guns, buy one. There are plenty of snobs who just don't like Rugers period, end of story.

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
bchur:

I am beginning to think this is a conspiracy! First, someone starts a thread about how to get Rugers to shoot accurately. Then two more threads on why everyone is down on Ruger rifles. Do any of you guys work for Winchester? I have had a number of Rugers. Just bought another. They all shot great. IMHO, Ruger makes a great gun!

tu2 Me too claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problems with Ruger rifles I just don't own any.Knowing Ruger rifles have never set the accuracy world on fire led to me buy other rifles,not any more complicated than that.

Posts: 51 | Location: Buffalo WY | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear bchur:

I've only owned one new Ruger rifle, a mid-1990's 22-250 target rifle with the semi-bull barrel and laminated stock. (I had a new mid-1990's slab side 22 Ruger target pistol, also: a royal pain in the ass, sometimes it just wouldn't fire at all after pulling the trigger, but incredibly accurate)

Pro's:

1. not too bad accuracy, 1.25" five shot group with hand loads, and

2. bore pretty smooth compared to Winchester and Remington of the mid-1990's that I owned.

Con's:

1. really rough machining under the feed rails in the magazine and receiver - had to clean all that up, because my cases looked like they were run through a steel wire wheel after cycling them;

2. chamber not cut well - headspace on the long side;

3. hard to get scope rings that were lined up correctly - tried three factory sets, until I got one that was pretty close;

4. front action screw at the 45 degree angle was sealed in with lock tite, a real bitch to get loose;

5. three position safety usually cut up my right thumb - had to file and sand the edges down, and

6. thing weighed a ton, when out hunting in Pennsylvania's 95 degree heat with 95% humidity.

Conclusion: No better, nor worse overall than the mid-1990's Remingtons and Winchesters that I bought new at the time.

Final conclusion: I don't buy new guns anymore with one big exception: Glock.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Final conclusion: I don't buy new guns anymore

I kind of agree with you there, though I do have hope for the new Win M70s

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThree of us bought Ruger varmint rifles at the same time ;a .223,a 22-250 and a .243.ALL were sub 1/2 MOA with less than 10 rounds through each. A tang safety .257 that is this year 39 years old still shoots better than 1 MOA. 5 years ago it was better than 1/2 MOA. The only Ruger that does not perform quite as well is a #1 originally in .223 and now in 22 JET. It does not miss MOA by much , however. It is hard for me to comprehend all the negativity concerning Ruger bolt action rifles. bewildered roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't dislike Rugers and, in fact, basically like the platform. However, IMHE, they SEEM to be not quite as accurate as I'd like. I had a .270 Win. and while accuracucy was ok, it seemed as if I could never quite get the consistant accuracy I wanted.
I bought a tang safety Ruger in .257 Roberts about 1975 or so and never really worked with it. Finally after a number of years, I decided to try wringing it out. Admittedly, I didn't do a lot of work on it but it didn't seem to just "come together" in the accuracy area. About that time I decided to get it re-barreled to .257 Improved and ended up having my smith send it to Kreiger. After a lot of screwing around - by my smith, I finally got it back. With a new Timney trigger and glass bedding, it's amazingly accurate with a 75 gr. V-max. It doesn't seem to like heavier bullets but I should try a bit more in that regard.
My moose rifle is a Ruger stainless with a laminated stock. After glass bedding & a new Timney trigger, it goes about a consistant 1 - 1 1/2" with a 225 gr. Northfork. Good enough for what I use it for.
I'd guess but don't know that a large problem is the angled action bolt and the torque that's applied to it.
Again, I'm not "down" on Rugers, per se. I just think there are better options that, in general, are less frustrating.
There is only 1 rifle I will never, ever own but it's not a Ruger. Just my experiences.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I actually like the Ruger rifles, one of my favorites actually.
Some people are down on them for their own reasons and most of that is hype and hear say but I've owned a bunch and love them. Have been around a bunch of them that were very accurate right out of the box and a few that needed a bit of tweaking but nothing major.
I like Winchesters just as much or more and have had excellent luck with them too.

Least favorites are Rems and Savages for me.
I am also not a 7mm Rem Mag fun but that doesn't mean its not a good performer I just won't have one.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own 7 Remington 700 and the Ruger M-77 is every bit the rifle the Remington 700 is and them some IMO. Just got back from shooting my Ruger 25/06 with Fusion and Hornady light mag factory ammo,both grouped 5 shots 1 inch or less at 100 yards.

Posts: 74 | Location: out west | Registered: 20 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77 mII in 300winmag, last three groups that I've shot with it have gone between .8"-1.06"

Tang safety Ruger in .257Rob, I have loaded 4 different bullets to moa or less, down to .56"-1.01", and had 2 different factory loads consistantly shoot sub moa.

The only thing on the Ruger rifles that I check if I'm not getting the accuracy that I think I should be getting, is to torque the hell out of the front recoil angled screw. If that is as tight as I can get it, they seem to shoot very well, and keep a consistant point of aim.

I love my Rugers. They are a solid hunting rifle, but I agree that they are not target rifles.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Ruger M77 MKII in .270 Winchester and I love it. It isn't the most accurate rifle I've owned, but it is my favorite rifle.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was best said, as tongue in cheek humor at the time:

If you show up at hunting camp:

1. and want to be like all your buddies, you show up with a Remington 700

2. you want to really impress your buddies, you show up with a Pre 64 Model Winchester...

3. You want to have your buddies envy you, you show up with a Weatherby.

4. If you really don't care what your buddies think, you show up with a Ruger..

As for myself, even tho my favorite brand is a Winchester, I have a lot of Rugers, and they are all accurate and very serviceable in the intended job I got them for....

For those that complain about Rugers, I just usually look at them being a Brand Snob..they dislike Ruger's because they are a little cheaper and they work...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Mine is a Tang Safety 220 Swift, that Ruger rebarreld in 1995. This rifle always shot very well, that's why I sent it back to Ruger for a new barrel. When I received the rifle back, I went to work up loads, and it turns out this rifle is as accurate, mabey more accurate for three shots than any rifle I own, including a couple heavy barrel 700's,and a Sendero. .250 3 shot groups with 38RL15/55 Ballistic Tip/3900fps, is the receipe, and I have done no work to the stock. I shot the original barrel for over 20 years, and it always shot sub minute. What else can be said, this one is a tack driver.

Jerry

I have a PS to this post, and that is Ruger's customer service, compare that to any other mnaufacturer, it has always been exceptional!

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger M77, tang style safety, 7 x57. It is a tack driver.

I've read & maybe some of our learned participants can confirm this, that Ruger at one time outsourced its barrels & as a result had some difficulty with less than stellar performance from those barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've owned at least one ruger m77 since 1973 or so. currently my "go to" rifle is a wood/blue mk2 in 270 win. i also have one just like it in 30-06. for me, rugers have always been accurate, never a problem, and feel great in my hands. i've owned lots of win m70s and rem 700s, but there gone now, and i'm content with a couple rugers. others will differ, as they should. ford vs chevy argument after all.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a ton of Ruger rifles over the years. My all around rifle is an old tang safety 338 I bought new and put in a kevlar stock. I have killed just about every big game animal I have hunted over the last 25 years with it. It is my "hunting rifle" for everything from antelope on up. It shoots sub 1/2" with Federal factories. All the others have shot well, both the bolts and single shots. Only exception was a 260 Rem in the really light weight model they make. Some platforms, such as this one and the RSI's, are just not conducive to accuracy.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post
I vote for the nicer Rugers ie the Safari Magnums and Ruger express rifles. I have never owned a standard grade Ruger rifle. For the extra money the fancy Ruger bolts a far better than the run of the mill winchesters and remingtons. I routinely get 3/4" groups at 100yards with my 416 Rigby. If you compare a cheap savage or Rem710 to a plain jane Ruger the Ruger looks better. Comapre apples to apples nice wood stock Rem 700's and new winchesters at least where I live are $300 dollars more than the ruger on sale and not much less than a nice used Ruger Express. I have stopped buying sub $1000 bolt action rifle for the simple fact is that I'm never happy with them they are all rough and lack the nice wood I like to see in a bolt gun. Save your money and buy a high end Ruger or Kimber.

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only have three Rugers.

25-06 and 30-06 in Mod 77 Mk II and a 375 Ruger in Mod 77 Hawkeye African.

First two bought in 2003 and the 375 was bought a month ago.

They are all sub MOA rifles when I do my part.

Triggers on the first two are 4 1/4 ounces and the 375 is 3 1/2 ounces.

The only thing I do not like about the Hawkeye is the stock (length of pull) is shorter by 1 inch. I am a big guy and will have to install at thicker/longer recoil pad to get it to 14 inches.

Other than that I like Rugers. I will never buy another Remington, and I only wish that Winchester would make the new Mod 70 in some caliber that I wanted/needed.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .257 in the Hawkeye 77. It was OK and shot well. I just liked the fit and feel of my Savage, My Rem 700, and my Mossberg better. I sold it to a Ruger fan who thinks it is the greatest. It's all personal preference.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .458 Win custom built on a Ruger Hawkeye action in Ruger wood. The stock has split at the tang. I understand the .375 Ruger will split the stock, as well, because of lousy wood. I know the 458 has about twice the recoil, but a well seasoned piece of American walnut should take it. No more Rugers.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not a Medium Bore, but I own a Ruger RSM in .458Lott. The OE recoil pad was a POS and was replaced with a Limbsaver.

The front sight is also a POS and I have been trying to remove it so as to install a large white bead. The sight has a push button which must be depressed and the front sight then driven out. This is a major design/engineering problem as it is impossible to be done by one person; even using help I have so far been unable to get it out! Very frustrating and Ruger is no help as their guy told me they simply "destroy" the sight to remove it??!!

I also put luminous paint into the vertical center mark on the rear sight, something Ruger should be doing.

Any ideas on how to get the front sight out would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction : Ruger makes a decent gun not a great one !!!.IMO an that's what counts if I'm purchasing it .

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
ya'll keep talking smack about rugers.. it keeps the prices of used donars down.

quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
I have a .458 Win custom built on a Ruger Hawkeye action in Ruger wood. The stock has split at the tang. I understand the .375 Ruger will split the stock, as well, because of lousy wood. I know the 458 has about twice the recoil, but a well seasoned piece of American walnut should take it. No more Rugers.

hello? YOU put a 458 in a stock ruger won't put a 416 in, and you blame ruger, not your gunsmith?

no offense, you need to take a serious look at who built what and where .. hint, it wasn't ruger

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4 out of 4 rugers I've owned have been 1/4" to 1" guns, and that was in non varmint calibers with standard barrels.
But that doesn't mean they are all accurate.

Some people claim that remingtons are great in the accuracy department, and I've had half of the ones I've owned be accurate and the other be very in-accurate.

tikka is 2 for 2 on accuracy now though along with CZ

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, guys in the last 6 years I've bought 4 Ruger rifles:
1) .257 Roberts, No. 1A, it is Lipsey special run rifle, bought new. It shot, OTB with factory ammo, 1.25” groups. After a little trigger work and with handloads, it's a MOA or better rifle if I'm up to the task.
2) .25-06 Rem, M77, bought new. It also shot, OTB with factory ammo, 1.25” groups or a little less. After a little trigger work and with handloads, it's a MOA or better rifle if I'm up to the task.
3) .270 Weatherby, No. 1B bought used. It too also shot, with factory ammo, 1.25” groups or a little less. After a little trigger work and with handloads, it's a MOA or better rifle if I'm up to the task.
4) .30-06, Hawkeye bought new. It shot, OTB with factory ammo, MOA groups. With handloads, it's a sub-MOA if I'm up to the task.

IME WHAT IS NOT TO LIKE ABOUT RUGERS?

Posts: 144 | Location: East MS | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I curretly have 8 or 10s ruger in the house may be more haven't counted them lately.

I think they are a great buy for the money.

My 338 MK11 is the least accurate but she well keep 3 250 hornadays unbder 4 inchs at 300yards day in day out. Considering a elks kill zone is around 18inchs I have no trouble planing on useing it on a elk trip this fall.

Not as accrate as some of my others but then it is not a p dog gun.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger M-77 "Hawkeye" ultralight in .308 that was so inaccurate that the best groups I received was 6.0" @ 100 yards!! Sold the rifle!! Got a regular Ruger M-77 MKII in .270 & it will shoot < .50" @ 100 yards. One of the most accurate .270's I've ever owned!!! Wink

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
What's not to like about being able to buy a stainless steel & laminate .270 for under $600 including taxes & fees that consistently shoots sub MOA with four different bullet weights?

I'm not saying people shouldn't spend five or ten times as much on a rifle with similar accuracy because they're buying far more than utility for that price.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned multiple ruger rifles over the years and not one has been a poor shooter. They all functioned and shot very well. I presently have a 375 ruger and a m77 in 338 winmag, both that shoot under an inch. Fact of the matter is all of what you read is just peoples opinion. If you listened to everything you read on the internet, I dont know if there would be a gun to buy because there will be someone out there who had problems and is all to quick to tell you why that gun manufacturer is making poor quality rifles.

Posts: 381 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bchur

Other than a ruger 10/22 we all had as kids I had no previous use of this brand.

In Aussie considered a mid priced rifle.

In Africa last year my and the kids took 22 large game animals with them, .338 and 243

Nothing missed, nothing hit and lost. What more do you need?

Regards Mark

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter,

To remove that front sight on my Ruger I first applied some penetrating oil (Kroil is good) and let it work in. Then with the rifle in a vice/cradle, depressed the plunger with an allen wrench (or othe suitable pin with a 90 degree bend would work). Workng over the top of the allen wrench I tapped the sight out enogh to clear the plunger, remove the allen wrench and finish tapping out the sight. Hope this helps

Thx
Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not anti Ruger but I do have one question: All of you folks with your .25 and .5 MOA rifles, why do I never see you at any of the matches?
I shot Hunter and Factory for 8 years in WV and it was a rare, singular occassion for a shooter to show up with a Ruger. And I never, ever saw a Ruger shooter standing in the money line. Mind you, we were shooting rifles that were indeed acrost the counter rifles that we used to deer hunt and such with. They were not these custom shop things that are now being passed off as "factory" nowadays.
One can say a Ruger is sturdy, reliable. Even classical in profile. It gets the job done. (we've discussed many times the fact that you don't need a MOA rifle to have a excellent hunting rifle) But, when folks start talking about their .25" and .5" groups from a box rifle (of any brand), I'd have to see them do it. Or are we talking about 2 or 3 shot "groups"? Or that once in a life time when the earth's tremors happen to line up?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Nice point Beeman. Most of the Ruger's I've owned are 1.25-1.5 MOA with the right loads (3 shot groups). Some are really picky.

I own 2 CZ 550s and they are pretty consistently around 1 MOA with most loads. They shoot well with almost anything I feed them.

My only Savage is a Police Carbine in 223. That damn thing will shoot everything under 1 moa unless I jerk the shot. It's way more accurate than I am. This is my best 3 shot group but it will shot most loads at .5".

Now, I've shot some .5" with my Rugers and some clover leafs with my CZs but I don't take the best group I ever shot with the rifle and call it a .5" rifle.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by merwin:
Lionhunter,

To remove that front sight on my Ruger I first applied some penetrating oil (Kroil is good) and let it work in. Then with the rifle in a vice/cradle, depressed the plunger with an allen wrench (or othe suitable pin with a 90 degree bend would work). Workng over the top of the allen wrench I tapped the sight out enogh to clear the plunger, remove the allen wrench and finish tapping out the sight. Hope this helps

Thx
Mike

Well Mike, I appreciate your trying to help. I've soaked it in Kroil and tried what you suggest on so many occasions that I have managed to destroy the front sight, but not get it to budge. I have just walked away from it for awhile, but still need to remove/replace it.

Ideas??

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit of heat applied to the barrelband/ramp, and then an ice cube touched to the top of the bead itself allowed me to remove a stubborn one like that. I hadn't quite destroyed the bead yet, but I was darn close! Don't know if the temperature did it, or if it was the crazed look in my eyes.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But, when folks start talking about their .25" and .5" groups from a box rifle (of any brand), I'd have to see them do it.

If they had either of the factory 260s I have from Ruger ( Stainless).. they'd be in the money line I bet...

all I have done is replaced the stock with a Boyd's laminate stock, lightened the trigger myself.. and throat it out to accept 160 grain RN bullets at magazine length...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote