THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    My Pre-64 Model 70 .30-06 Project
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Pre-64 Model 70 .30-06 Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
Gentlepeople:

I thought I would post an update on the .30-06 rifle I am putting together for my son. The barreled action was just returned from Roger Ferrell and I now have some additional photos to share.

First, specifics:

Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Action
Krieger Barrel chambered for .30-06 Springfield
NECG Rear sight with one standing and two folding blades on a quarter rib
NECG Banded front ramp sight
Barrel band Swivel
Sunny Hill Bottom Metal with integral box
Denli Exhibition Circassian Walnut blank
Bill Soverns is doing the stocking to include a skelton grip cap (THANK YOU jjs!!!!!) and an ebony fore end tip.
Leupold Vari-X III 2 - 8 X scope
Quick Detachable Talley Rings and bases

I am going with a British Stalking design for the stock, similar to the one in this photo:

Here is the blank that is being used:

Here are some photos of the barreled action and sight work done by Roger Ferrell:

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow. That's going to be gorgeous!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 21 February 2007 01:06
Gentlepeople:

I thought I would post an update on the .30-06 rifle I am putting together for my son. The barreled action was just returned from Roger Ferrell and I now have some additional photos to share.

I suddenly find myself up for adoption.

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it the photo or do I see a gap under the quarter rib. It is a very nice setup and I would love to have a rifle as nice.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have now had three offers for adoption from various people on here - you all are too much and I love every second of it.

Pegleg, it must be the photo regarding the gap under the quarter rib. There is no gap at all - Roger did one hell of a job on this, IMHO.

I want to thank jjs and JudgeG for recommending Roger when I first started planning this project a little over a year ago. Also, a thanks to Jim Kobe whom I purchased the pre-64 Model 70 action off of.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrat,

A beautiful classic. thumb

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post

make that four...and I am willing to mow the yard in the summer and shovel the walk in winter...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

It should look fantasic when all is done. I really like the quarter rib Roger did.

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
Paul,

It should look fantasic when all is done. I really like the quarter rib Roger did.

Jim:

Thank you for the kind words. I think Roger did an outstanding job and he is great guy to work with. And thank you so much for recommending Roger - he's one of the best.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Are you going to do anything with the bolt handle? Have you given any thought to straightening, slimming, checkering? Or leave it as is. I am a little biased, but I do like the look of a straight handle and some fine panel checkering, especially on a rifle such as the one you are building.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
The barreled action is spectacular work but that stock is going to be absolutely beautiful... I do a fair amount of wood work and have only seen a handful of figuring that is so pleasing to the eye as your blank....

Can't wait to see the finished rifle....

I found a piece of figured bubinga that I thought would make a spectacular stock but it is a very heavy wood... I might have to think about that one though one of these years...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any updates?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a very nice barreled action! That is a wonderful gift for your son. I am a pre 64 Win 70 fan ansd also a 30-06 man; that is right up my alley.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1616 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice - thanks for posting. Can't wait to see some more, esp. after that blank is turned.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Considering that the post is 2 1/2 years old, I would expect that the rifle has been completed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
Considering that the post is 2 1/2 years old, I would expect that the rifle has been completed.

This what I'm thinking and am hoping for pictures.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update is Bill has disappeared, and I do not know where my components are.

I'm trying to contact Bill, but so far my attempts are not working. People have offered assistance, but since I only tried to contact him since last week, I will give him some time as he may be out of pocket for the holidays.

I'll keep you posted.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that would be Bill Who? Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, that is gonna be nice !
If a guy had that and a twin brother in .375 H&H , he would be set for all the adventure a guy could ask for.
I have an NEGC catalog and will be buying some sights for a far less fancy project 7X57.
I wish they made a folding rear sight with out any standing leaf. Folding so i could mount a scope real low.
...tj3006

But the multiple leavs look great just don't think I would ever use more than one

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
And that would be Bill Who? Confused

Bill Soverns has left the building...

He was the man who was to do the stocking. He had the components for almost three years now.

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man that is just horrible. I haven't read all the threads, but from the sampling I have read, it seems a lot of folks were left in similar situations. Going out of business sucks, and it can't be fun for anybody, but geez, get folks their stuff back, there is no excuse for not communicating that I can think of other than some very specific health issues. Heck, one of my smiths had to have a Kidney taken out, and managed to contact me about a project through another fellow while he was IN the hospital. He'll keep getting business from me!

I wish you luck in at least getting your components back....one thought, do you know where he was physically located and your components supposedly were? I was thinking that if you did, maybe a fellow AR member, or friend of yours, could go calling and try to get your stuff back???? just thinking out loud---

my sympathy, and good luck to you.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another soverns victim? oh my that hurts. i hope the parts come back.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I didn't learn about Bill's "disappearing" until Christmas day when I went online. When I comissioned Bill to do this work, I told him how special this project was to me and told him to take his time and make it PERFECT. I would touchbase with him every six month's or so, so not hearing from him wasn't out of his M.O.

I emailed him on Dec. 26, and have yet to hear back from him. Again, this was his normal M.O. as all other emails were returned within a week or so. I can appreciate that some people are not a slave to their emails as I am.

I'm giving Bill some time to address my matter and make it right. If nothing happens within a timeframe that I deem acceptable, I will take further action.

Hopefully we will not have to go down that path.

I all ready have the wheels working on a number of options should I need to go that route. But for now, I'm hoping Bill does the right thing.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. Losing that stock blank alone would cause me to wake up in a cold sweat. I hope it works out for you.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Man I am so sorry for you,this really sucks,after having gone through this type of stress myself,I just shy away from custom work,I hope it works out !!

DRSS

Posts: 2279 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Man I am so sorry for you,this really sucks,after having gone through this type of stress myself,I just shy away from custom work,I hope it works out !!

Thanks, Bal!

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks! We need to hook-up to talk about a taxi from DFW to the hotel.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Paul,

I know how much this project means to you and hope all turns out ok and you get your components back. Wish I could help.

Are you heading to the Dallas Safari Club Show? I am planning on heading down there and would sure like to shake you hand.

Best,

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JIM!

So great to hear from you. I will be at DSC, but will be arriving into DSC on Saturday around 8:00 AM. I should be at the convention by 11:00 AM.

PM me, and lets hook up. I would LOVE to see you again!

V/r,

Paul

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Paul:

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles on this great project. It had such a wonderful beginning, it is a shame to see it get off track. Hopefully, it works out in the end.

I am also looking to begin a project on my father's pre-64 M70. I want to have the action worked on and accurized. Not sure where to start. I'm going to the SCI and ACGG shows in a few weeks and hope to get more information. If you don't mind sharing information on what work you had doen to your action and any suggestions, I would be appreciative.

Thanks.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff:

Thank you for your kind words. Hopefully this will be back on track soon.

If I can recommend someone, it would be Roger Ferrell in Georgia. I can think of no better gunsmith nor gentleman. You will NOT regret choosing him for all of yourgun's needs.

Hopefully I will get some closure with is, and get my components back. This is a special project for me ( a project for my son) so this mean more to me that a project for myself.

I hope Bill mans up and sends me my stuff...

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar situation with Mic McPherson. I sent him a gun and payment. Four years later I still did not have the gun back despite numerous followups by phone, mail and email. I finally had my attorney notify him that we were pursuing legal action and that we wanted a full refund and the gun returned immediately. My attorney put in the letter that if he did not do this we would expect all of this and in addition would demand court costs and treble reimbursement under the consurmer protection act. That seemed to actually motivate him enough to send the gun back and refund all of my money.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received an email from Bill. He said he will start boxing my components up.

Fingers crossed.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it. Hope if all shows back up.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill just emailed me tracking numbers. This is a good thing.

577NitroExpress

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got my components back from Bill today, but the barrelled action is fucked.

Sever rust and pitting from the action all the way to the front banded site. It must have been laying on its left side for some time.

Because of this, it is clear to me that Bill had no intention on working on this project.

I am not contacting him at this moment because I am too livid - I need to calm down.

I will be posting photos of the damage when I can get some good photos done. I would appreciate if people could give me their opinions if this barrelled action can be salvaged or is just junk at this time.

Man....

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
Well, I got my components back from Bill today, but the barrelled action is fucked.

Sever rust and pitting from the action all the way to the front banded site. It must have been laying on its left side for some time.

Because of this, it is clear to me that Bill had no intention on working on this project.

I am not contacting him at this moment because I am too livid - I need to calm down.

I will be posting photos of the damage when I can get some good photos done. I would appreciate if people could give me their opinions if this barrelled action can be salvaged or is just junk at this time.

Man....

Paul,

I am sorry to hear about this and I sure hope it can be reworked.

Just a suggestion, you may want to send Roger the pics or give him a call and see what he thinks about the possibility of reworking the metal.

I hope your stock blank is ok?

Let me know if I can help you.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's definitely not what you had in mind when you started, but what about a good bead blast and some Cerakote in a matte black? That, combined with a synthetic stock, would save it and you could sell it off to finance starting over.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I think if I were you I would send the whole thing back to Roger Ferrel and have him take a look at it. Its his work, he knows it best, and he knows what can be done to make any repairs on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys:

Sorry, I just got power established after the 30+ inches of snow hit our area here in N. Virginia.

I had the gun shipped to my dad, who keeps all of my gun in his top notch safe in PA. He is taking photos and sending them to me.

I have spoken to Roger. The gun is heading back to him. First I am sending him photos for his initial assessment. Then he'll have it in hand and give me a no BS opinion about it.

I'll keep everyone updated on the process.

Man I am pissed. If I lived closer to Bill, he and I would have a man's conversation for sure.

577NitroExpress