Find
Notify
Tools

.340 Wby loads
 Login/Join

<Per577>
posted
Hello .340 wby owners !

Could someone tell me if they get 3000 fps in their .340 Wby safely, and what powders do you use ?
Do you think 3000fps+ is realistic, with the new powder Mrp-2,or "Retumbo"hodgons ?
What ballistics do you get with Mrp ?

Per_577

<Guy>
posted
Per - what bullet are you wanting info for? I'll assume it's a 250 and so, no, I have never attained that speed with any 250's in my 340's. Best velocities I have with 250's have been in the low 2800 fps range. With 210's and lighter bullets I have easily gone over 3000 fps. I have never used MRP, but I have used R22, H4831 and MR-3100.

My 338 Ultra will push a 250 Sierra BT over 3000 fps safely. The 250 Noslers are very close to 3000 fps with R22.

<Per577>
posted
Yes, i meant 250 gr. bullets.Consentration yesterday was lousy,,sorry.
well, i have heard of guys who consider 3000 fps with 250 gr. as safe with MRP(Read it on weath.chat room).the new retumbo will be quite good i suppose, at least that's what i 've heard, maybe to slow for the .340 Wby.
What do you think ?

<Guy>
posted
PER - I've only heard rumors about Retumbo so I can't really comment on using it in the 340. I'm giving serious thought to trying both H1000 and Reloader 25 with the 250 Noslers and see what happens with velocity/accuracy. Maybe they will show better velocity than I have attain with the other powders.

I have old data from Bob Hagel showing 2900+fps with 250's and MRP. I have never been able to purchase MRP here in Colorado and I have never equaled Hagel's published 250 velocities, even with a 26" barrel. He seemed to be pushin' the envelope, at least for my rifles. I have read many people who have posted velocities over 2900 fps. I think most of them, if I recall correctly, have Weatherby Mark V rifles with 26" barrels. Don't know if that matters, as my rifles all have had the free-bore also.

For my rifles, any load that clocked above 2800 fps with a 250 gn bullet, has been a max load. The 340 Wby is my favorite elk rifle, so 100 fps less velocity never bothered me much.

Guy

[This message has been edited by Guy (edited 05-22-2002).]

<phurley>
posted
I shoot and reload for a .340 Wby. I use RL-19 powder and get well over 3000 fps. with 225 gr. Barnes XLC, and North Fork 225 gr. bullets. Start in the mid to low 80's and work you way up. I have not used the powders you mentioned, with excellent velocity and accuracy, I see no need to switch, yet. Good shooting.

------------------