New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 X 55 Swedish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had my Remington 700 rechambered from 30-06 to 6.5 X 55 Swedish in a Shilen barrel topped with a 4.5 x 14 Leupold Var X III scope. I was very pleased with its performance right "out of the box" as it shot a 3/4 group at 100 yd.. I'm interested in shooting this gun out to 1000 yds.+ and would like some help with bullet selection and powder. Any ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could only hazard a guess as to charge weight, but I do know my loads would revolve around Berger's VLD bullets and a Vihta Vuori powder.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
work up on this load, but it has proven quite safe in all of my 6.5 x 55s....

140 grain bullet, 50 grains of IMR 4350, Large rifle primer...

I recommend Remington or Lapua brass...

if your rifle was an American made bolt action and was previously an 06, then use the Rem brass... Rem brass has the head size of a 30/06 ( .473)... Winchesters and Lapua's don't.. they have the proper Swedish dimensions..

it doesn't matter if your rifle is claw extractored... but if it is a push feed, then the Remington brass will always extract...

I did one in a push feed model 70 featherweight, that had been previously a 30/06...Winchester brass doesn't always extract... Remington's does...

the above load of 50 grains of 4350 is from Speer Manual 7, which was using short 18 inch barrels, and in an older Mauser....

but they considered it safe back then.. and I use it in my Model 70, my Ruger 77 and my Mauser ( 1920 manufactured ).....

each of those are long throated.. and I seat the bullets to magazine length...so remember to work up....

good luck..
cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Good choice! another 30-06 of the streets. banana

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Your 6,5x55 is easy to load: use 140g bullets and you'll have a lot of fun!!!
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the 'smith who cut the 6.5x55 chamber in new Shilen barrel have used a SAAMI specs reamer? If so, wouldn't the chamber have cut the correct 0.479" case diameter just ahead of the extractor cut, rather than the 0.471" case diameter of the 30-06 family?

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel twist and length would help in figuring a good load. That said, if it is a 8 or better twist, 142gr Matchkings (NOT 140's) 139 Lapuas, 140 Bergers, etc. are your 1,000 yd pills. If you can use Lapua brass, you are much further ahead than mucking about with domestic stuff.
The Swede seems to like slower powders, my best results have come with H4831SC and RL-22 (highest velocity with the Reloader) but of course bbl length and such will make a major difference. Also, keep in mind that the reloading manuals are usually written for the older military actions (Mauser & Krag) and thus have lower pressure limits. I hesitate to post my actual powder charge in my match load, but in a 30" tube it drives a 142SMK at a comfortable 2940.

Eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be very happy with 2940 FPS. The barrel is 24" and I've decided on the 140 Bergers, mainly for the BC. I tried the Lapua brass and my Remington does not want to eject the cases very well... something about the thickness of the base. Remington brass works well and someone else suggested the H4831SC. The barrel twist is 1 in 9"and Shilen says the 140's should work OK, but it's right on the border of being too slow. We'll see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
Wouldn't the 'smith who cut the 6.5x55 chamber in new Shilen barrel have used a SAAMI specs reamer? If so, wouldn't the chamber have cut the correct 0.479" case diameter just ahead of the extractor cut, rather than the 0.471" case diameter of the 30-06 family?

Jeff

Possibly, but the worst that would happen is what happens when you fire remington ammo in a military swede.... you get a slihght bulge in the case.

Personally if I were rebarreling a remington 700LA to 6.5x55 (which I'll likely do ... eventually ((SMILE ROGER!))) I'd want it cut with the americanized chamber and not throated as long as the Mil swede's are.

BTW, I'm not sure that the 6.5x55 has an official SAAMI dimensioned chamber except as the remington version... But I could be wrong.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4831sc or RL22 with the 140's has been superb in 6.5x55AI bench rifle. VERY ACCURATE

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote