THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    9.3x62 on Nilgai Antelope- A Field Test

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 on Nilgai Antelope- A Field Test
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I hunted nilgai this weekend on the Yturria Ranch in south Texas. This population of Indian antelope is an exotic but has been a free ranging, naturalized citizen of our state since the 1930's. Big bulls weigh in around 700 pounds and are impressive because of the abuse they can take. The skin covering their neck and shoulders reminds me of a wild boar because of it's thickness obviously to protect them during the rut from other bull's short but sharp horns. Bulls fight for territory and breeding rights like many of their species.

I wanted to hunt with and christen a 9.3 I had built several years ago. The rifle is on a 98 action and is stocked with a piece of English walnut and was built to resemble the Mauser Type A sporter. I topped it off with a Leupold 1.5x5 and was shooting the new factory load by Lapua...their lead-free Naturalis 286 grain loading. The bullet reminds me of an x-bullet with a plastic tip to force the bullet open and make it more areodynamic. The bullet groups around 1.25" in the rifle.

With our cold windy conditions and many of the bigger bulls with the large herds of cows, stalking within range was difficult. I was trying to limit myself to a 200 yard or less shot. This due to the tenacity of the antelope and the rifle/scope combination. After 5 or 6 blown stalks, I finally found myself in a mesquite mott about 400 yards from 3 bulls intent on finding out who was the toughest. Unbeknownst to me the spoils of the contest (the cows) were behind me about 150 yards. After the most dominant bull finished the others he began to make his way towards me...stopping every so often to glare back at the other satellite bulls who also were easing towards the cow. I had my sticks set up and when he stopped broadside and I had a shooting lane at about 165 yards, I shot him once in the middle of the shoulder. He bucked and ran just 10 yards before stopping, wobbling and dropping. Very impressive performance for both the rifle and cartridge. I will post a picture of the recovered bullet if any of you are interested.

The bullet performance again reminded me of the x-bullet but instead of four petals peeling back the bullet is opened in a perfectly round semi-mushroom. There is no lead in the bullet only copper. The bullet did not exit. Internal damage was excellent but there was not much loss of bloodshot meat as the bullet acted like a cup point solid might.

The 9.3x62 lived up to it's billing. I've shot nilgai with .375H&Hs, .416 RM, .338 WM and the various .300s and the gun performed as well as the larger bores.can It did the job and then some. If I changed anything on my set-up it might be my scope. I know 5x works for some of you but on longish shots I like a bit more magnification. All in all though, a good test the cartridge and rifle passed with flying colors!

Good hunting.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

Sweet hunt - let's see the bullet!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
thumb Great report. I would like to see a photo of the recovered bullet if possible.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story....and that's interesting ..about the bullet ... thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

The 9.3x62 just gets the job done. thumb I really like mine (a CZ 550). Great hunt report. Thanks for sharing it. I also would like to see a pic of the recovered bullet.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
An interesting perspective on these bullets by Lapua. For comparison purposes I have included a .416 caliber XLC bullet, a .375 caliber Failsafe and the Lapua Naturalis. I like them and will continue to use them as my primary load for my rifle. Although I would have liked an exit wound, if forced to use the 9.3 on buff, this bullet would be an option IMO because of it's design and bullet weight retention. Again, nilgai are big and tough but the penetration issue has me second guessing using the 9.3x62 for buff as a first choice. For eland and the larger plainsgame of Africa or just about anything in North America, I think this catridge/bullet combination would be a lethal choice. Thanks again for all the comments!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naturalis video - English

256k wmv - for DSL connections - 16 meg file size - 10 minute video

http://www.lapua.com/Video/naturalis256.wmv

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
Naturalis video - English

256k wmv - for DSL connections - 16 meg file size - 10 minute video

http://www.lapua.com/Video/naturalis256.wmv

-Bob F.

Very impressive video Bob, thanks. I hadn't heard of them before.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good report and great photos. Sure looks like a long bullet. Do you have any comparison on length with another 9.3mm bullet??

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm quickly becoming a 9.3 slut and had to bring this to the top. Packrattusnongratus

one of us
posted Hide Post
F.

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm, I just saw this for the first time and had to say it sounds like you had a lot of fun. It's always meaningful to put the first notch in a rifle.

I like a lot of scope for long range shooting and don't think I'm brave enought to take a low-power scope on a Nilgai hunt. I don't believe I've ever gotten within 200 yard of a bull unless he was already dead.

Anyone who thinks all Texas exotic hunts are a tame-animal shoot really needs to do a South Texas Nilgai hunt.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collani
posted Hide Post
@bwanamrm

First of all nice bull.
You mentioned that you had a shooting lane at about 165 yards. I’m asking you because one of my hunting buddies does not believe that the Lapua Naturalis bullet was impacted only at a distance of 165 yards. He believes that, due to the size of the bullet deformation, the shot must be taken more then 250 yards!

Please inform me about this because my hunting buddy would like to use the Lapua Naturalis in 9,3x62.

Good shooting and good hunting
Collani

Gian Marchet Colani - the most famous mountain chamois hunter in the European Alps....

Posts: 118 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote