THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Boddington suggests 338 mag as BIG GUN !

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boddington suggests 338 mag as BIG GUN !
 Login/Join

<T/Jazz>
posted
I just glanced at an article in a gun magazine the other night. Gen. Boddington suggests that the HEAVY GUN for a 3 gun battery should be the 338 Win Mag.

He stated that with a 250 grain bullet it will out penetrate the 300 grain bullet used in the 375 H&H and therefore this is what makes it a better choice.

How do the rest of you hunters feel about this statement for choice of BIG GUN?

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know... is he talking a NA battery? If so, that sounds fine to me... a 22-250, 270, and 338 Win Mag would do it all just fine. If he's talking Africa, I'd think the 338 Win Mag would fall somewhere in the middle of a three-rifle battery, though it could probably do anything required of it with a good bullet.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is obviously talking about a 3 gun combination for regular North American non-dangerous game which doesn't include the big bears. If you look in his "Safari Rifles" book, the 338 (and 340) are in the "light mediums" chapter.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
My heaviest caliber Rifle is a .338 WinMag.

Along with my .223 and a .308 it makes a nice 3 cartridge battery in my opinion.

So Why do like my 30-06 so much? must be the jack-of-all-trades thing.
MM

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the article refers to NA game rifles. There isn't much need for anything bigger in NA unless you hunt the big bears in close cover (IMHO). It would be my choice as a "heavy" NA rifle as well, although I do like my .338-06 for a GP rig.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 338 Win and its a decent Buffalo gun and I can't tell any differnce in the 9.3's, the 338 and the 375 H&H on Buff..

I do believe the 300 gr. Woodleigh in the 338, the 320 Woodleigh in the 9.3's will about out penitrate anything out there, but cross section of bullet is important on Bufflo, the 375 wins here..

All in all its a pretty moot question and is mostly opinnion on anyones part...

The difference begins at 416 I believe, but never sell any of the above short on killing power.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is the same article that I am thinking of, it was for ALL NA big game. His choices were a .270 for a light, a .300 Weatherby or RUM for a long range type of gun, and a .338 for heavy cover elk, all moose and all bears. I myself would go with a .375 instead of a .338. I see a lot of overlap with the .300 and .338. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I know this is a little off the topic, but why is Boddington's name still prefaced with Colonel at the top of all his current articles? I thought he was promoted. Is this because these articles were authored before his promotion? Still, they could change his title regardless of the date authored. Perhaps he got tired of everyone giving him a bad time about the promotion.

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Gentlemen this article I mentioned in my first post was indeed for NORTH AMERICAN GAME!

It took me a while to find the magazine again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just looking over some "stuff" I missed when I was gone and was reading the Heavy/light medium catagories/comparisons etc. You have to remember it is all relative. When Elmer Kieth was trying to pi__ of_ Jack O'Connor he would talk about how good of a long range deer rifle the 333 OKH was and the 270 was ok for coyotes and rats and things. At the time that upset me but being a 270 and 338 fan I can enjoy it now. This can be like the stimulus/response formula, it all depends on how far you want to stretch the caliber it can be a Brown Bear stopper with 250/275/300 grain bullets or a long range rifle in the mountains or African plains with 180/200/210 bullets. I would not hesitate to use the 338 as a leopard rifle with...say a 210 Nosler partition. Did I use a 338 on my leopard? No I used a 270 Winchester with a 150 grain Nosler partition,one shot, no problem. It is all about what works for you. Good Hunting "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The majority of people I encounter who have 338 Winchesters are afraid of them and shoot them poorly. To those accustomed to a 243 or 7mm-08 type cartridge the 338's seem to kick mercilessly. There is no doubt it is a wonderful cartridge, but only for those who make the effort to become proficient with it. Hey.....I wonder if that applies to all cartridges regardless of caliber, trajectory, ME, MV, etc....hmmmmmm.
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I distinctly remember that Mr. Keith regarded the Rem 7 Mag as "a good long range coyote gun."

Elmer was a large bore, heavy bullet guy obviously.

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
Not for Africa, it is not that popular over here, must be a reason

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Flip... the "reason" is the .375 H&H!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .338 Winchester magnum is very popular in Alaska. It was introduced in 1958 as "The Alaskan," and has gained popularity with elk hunters in the Lower-48. In my opinion, for North American Hunting the .338WM is an ideal top caliber.

The .375 H&H is great cartridge that has been around here for many years along the .30-06, but it is not as popular as some other cartridges.

This is from the NRA's January 2001 issue, American Hunter: "The Alaska Department of Fish & Game hunter safety staff in Anchorage tallied the big game rifles sighted at the Rabbit Creek rifle range for the 1999 hunting season. The top three cartridges were the .30-06 (21%), .300 Win. Magnum (19%), and the .338 Win. Magnum (18%). These were followed by the 7mm Rem. Magnum (9%), .375 H&H Magnum (6%), .270 (6%), .308 (4%), and .300 Wby. Magnum (4%), .45-70 (1%), .280 (1%), and a host of others, including many wildcats. Comparable data are not available for hunters who live in the bush."

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote