THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Benchrest Accurizing a CZ550 Safari Mag Action???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benchrest Accurizing a CZ550 Safari Mag Action???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted
After a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL I found out the source of my severe lower back pain (they say I have 20 degree scoliosis due to a repetitive action injury at work, it's not genetic).

ANYWAY, I am going to have to unfortunately down grade my big bores because my back can't withstand the abuse of my beloved .416 Rigbys Frowner (one CZ550 Mag, and one Ruger RSM).

So now I am building a .338 Allen Xpress (.338 Lapua 35 degree Improved), meant to be used for long range deer/elk sniping(YES, it will be "Braked"!), and based off of the CZ 550 Safari Magnum action. Does anyone know of anyone that has the ability to "Benchrest Accurize" a CZ550 Magnum, similar to what gunsmiths do to the Remington 700 (chase threads, square the action, square the bolt head, etc.)???

Thanks for any information that you could provide.

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Kevin Weaver, at Weaver Rifles

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

Good luck,

Smiler

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I know it sounds like a broke record but AHR does about as many CZs as anyone around. Why don't you brake the 416?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Kevin Weaver, at Weaver Rifles

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

Good luck,

Smiler

Chuck

I looked at his targets with his .CZ 416 Rigby, and my factory rifle can shoot that well. bewildered

Has anyone had any dealings with G. A. Precision???

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited could do it .. He is my go to guy for classic model 70's and FN claw actions. He has done a bunch of this type of action. He builds lots of precision rifles on model 70's and FN's. Shop #715-748-4427 he has a web sight just google accuracy unlimited.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by j stoviak:
I think Randy Gregory at Accuracy Unlimited could do it .. He is my go to guy for classic model 70's and FN claw actions. He has done a bunch of this type of action. He builds lots of precision rifles on model 70's and FN's. Shop #715-748-4427 he has a web sight just google accuracy unlimited.

Thanks for the information, I'll have to check Randy out!

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will be in for a real awakening if the purpose of building a .338 Lapua is softer recoil than a .416 Rigby.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FC363:
I think you will be in for a real awakening if the purpose of building a .338 Lapua is softer recoil than a .416 Rigby.

I know what you mean, however I load my CZ .416 Rigby to 2850 fps with a Barnes 325 grain X-bullet and it is NOT muzzle braked.....the new improved Lapua WILL be muzzle braked. In the end, it will be a much softer shooter. thumb JFYI, I have already fired a TRGS-42 in .338 Lapua prone, launching the 300 gr. Matchking, and it is a pussycat compared to shooting an unbraked .416 Rigby prone (which I HAVE done multiple times!) Wink

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"