New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-50 BMG
 Login/Join

<Cyrax>
posted
I'm very intrested in chambering a rifle in this wildcat but where can I find a barrel for this application?And yes I know you can get 30 caliber sabots for the 50 BMG but I've heard they are not as accurate.

------------------
What the ears hear and the eyes see the mind believes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are no barrels that with stand the beating from velocities of 5000+fps. It would only be about 100 shots thru the barrel before it was a smooth bore.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
As a long time competition 50 BMG shooter, I have to tell you that I would be extremely concerned with the possibility of such a cartridge grenading. No matter how slow the powder is, you are igniting over 200 grs of powder and trying to force it through a .30 caliber hole. If it burns you have a plasma torch and if it blows your dead! I'd just make a case for ha ha's and lay down till this bad idea goes away!-Rob

[This message has been edited by Robgunbuilder (edited 03-28-2002).]

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Cyrax>
posted
You said there are no barrels that can take velocitys of 5000fps.+ but the military has many applications with high velocity cartridges and weapons with very high cyclic rates that burn barrels.What the hell type of metals are they using?

------------------

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
The military uses weopons designed with readily replaceable barrels.They know that full auto fire will errods a barrel rapidly. They replace them often. The military does not have weopons with velocities of 5000fps+. They test their weopons extensively to assure reliability and to weed out bad designs. They find it's also bad form to blow-up our soldiers.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
The military uses weopons designed with readily replaceable barrels.They know that full auto fire will errode a barrel rapidly. They replace them often. The military does not have weopons with velocities of 5000fps+. They test their weopons extensively to assure reliability and to weed out bad designs. They find it's also bad form to blow-up our soldiers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another way around this is to use .50/.308 sabots. I believe the military uses these for ap applications. I have seen references to these rounds launching .30 cal. tungsten bullets at 5-6000 fps. In fact I saw a couple of loaded rounds at a gun show a few weeks ago. Also saw a show on the Navy SEALs; the guy was using a McMillan and these rounds against an armored vehicle with fairly impressive results.
There is also a .338/.50 wildcat listed in the latest 'Cartridges of The World'.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Cyrax>
posted
Rob,
Dipshit I did not say the military has weapons that fire projectiles at 5000fps+ I said high velocities.Like the 35mm anti-air craft guns.I was just curius to know if they used some type of steel alloy or barrel lining but thanks anyway.

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
CYRAX/Dipshit- And here I just thought you were another moron consumed with rediculous notions about high velocities and weopons of no logical value. Based on your other posts. You might also get a few more contacts under your belt before insulting others. Do me a favor and don't reply to me any more. I'll do liklewise.-Rob

<Cyrax>
posted
Robgunbuilderfag,Wow your a super member you must think your the fucking shit!I'm sorry I don't posess your mighty wisdom dickfuck!

<Guy>
posted
Cyrax - I never get in pissing contests with morons but your attitude is not welcome here, so I will say this with my best marine voice "disappear scumbag!"

<Cyrax>
posted
Yes sir sarge!!!!!By the way marines are worthless pussies!Go Navy!

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
What an awfull post Cyrax, perhaps you should live in a country you are more proud of.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote