Find
Notify
Tools

My 1st Pre-64 Model 70....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Just got a 1959 model Pre-64 in .300 H&H yesterday! Controlled Round Feed, has an older Weaver 3-9 Marksman "Made in USA" scope. The open sights had been taken off it and the rifle sling studs were off it as well. The gun has some marks from hunting on it but the bore is shiny and functions great.

I'm guessing this may not be the original butt pad...

I am hoping I can find replacement studs and some knowledge on what went in the "middle" stud.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice piece...in one of my favorite calibers.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel seems to have been shortened, however, it may just be the photo? Is the ramp still on the barrel which should be 26" long.

I have had four of these in .300H&H and currently have the nicest, near-mint one of all I have owned and these old gems are among THE most accurate and easy to shoot rifles I have tried...and, that is quite a number.

You need sling swivels and a forend screw and perhaps the nut it fits into which is dovetailed into the "boss" on the barrel. These are not hard to find, but, can be costly.

I like to restock my P-64s in good synthetic stocks and hunt with them and my .300 is matched by a .375 both in Rimrock stocks, bedded and painted. These are pretty neat rifles, but, I tend to prefer the Alaskans in .338WM, one of my all-time picks as an "ideal" combo of cartridge and rifle.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I tend to prefer the Alaskans in .338WM, one of my all-time picks as an "ideal" combo of cartridge and rifle.

+1 tu2

I love mine.

several good after market stocks available for pre-64's. Get one you like and save the factory stock for restoration.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice find.

If you PM me your mailing address I will send you a barrel nut and screw for the forend.

Can't help on the swivels, other than to suggest flea-bay or else just replacing them with the Uncle Mikes style studs instead.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of swivel studs you can have. Shoot me a PM with your address.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the help! Pm's sent! I really appreciate it

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I think you are correct about the butt pad not being original. Mine, which I got new and therefore know was all original, did not have a ventilated pad and (so far as I know) they were not supplied with a white-line spacer by the factory during the pre-'64 production.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks albert thats what i was thinking. Im not home right now but this is a pachmyer

The barrel still is original 26" with ramp. The open sights are off of it....looks like they are just slid on from the side. But the 300 h&h deserves a scope :-)

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
New pic....cleaned up!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some P-64s DID come from the factory with that exact Pachmayr "Whiteline" pad; I have seen late .338s with it and have a FWT.-.270 with one although I put that into an Edge stock as I re-stock all my P-64s in good synthetics.

So, that one may well be original and my old .300H&H just like that one would shoot like you had to see to believe and these are among my favourite rifle-chambering combos of any I have had.

A 200 NP at pushing 2900 fps WILL do the job and I find much less "kick" with this than with any other .300 mag. and far less than my beloved .338WM and 9.3x62 or 74R rifles. It is the ideal "geezer's" Elk, Moose and even Grizzer buster, IMHO.

I had a nice pair and in a weak moment traded them on my Merkel 12-12x9.3x74R and I wish I had a mate to the pristine one I currently have.....bloody addiction, it will put me in the poorhouse, yet!

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the history lesson Dewey! I've looked into some aftermarket stocks for this one but the gun looks sooo good in Wood.

I have a feeling this won't be my last pre-64 to buy. I love the way the action feels...and how the rifle shoulders and handles...

I read John Noslers "Going Ballistic" book and a part that caught me was him hunting moose with his pre-64 Model 70 in .300 H&H. That was the rifle he used to figure out bullets at the time couldn't handle the high velocity H&H. So he set out to make his Partitions....This may cause me to use this rifle with a 180-200NP on a Moose hunt if I ever get the opportunity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Dewey said mine also came with the same butt pad.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote