New
Find
Notify
Tools

350 Rigby
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I've mentioned this round in a few threads, and most folks seem to respond with, what's that? So, I thought I'd provide what I know of the round. It was introduced in 1908, 4 years prior to the 375 H&H. Original bore dia was .356", and as I recall, ballistics were 250 gr @ 2400-2500 fps. Now, the case of this round has a rim of .518-.520", head dia ~ .515" and a case length of 2.76". I don't have any more specs handy as to neck length, or body taper.

If you compare the round to the 375 H&H, you have essentially the same case, but rimless. You'll also see body taper is essentially identicle, but the Rigby has a 45 deg shoulder, so sharp enough and large enough to headspace off of. I can't help but think the 375 H&H was developed off of the same case, though stretched slightly to 2.85", and the belt being added to provide headspace, and also the shoulder being changed to a gradual taper.

The downsides of the round are the only brass available is Bertram, which is rediculously exspensive at $65-75 for 20 cases. All is not lost, as 375 H&H brass is de-belted and the rim reduced rather easily in a lathe, a run through the fl sizer kicks the shoulder back, and then a trim to length. I've even managed to squeeze a 340 Weatherby case down, certainly a bit more pressure on the press handle

Case capacity is slightly more then a 358 Norma mag. My plan is to load mine with 250 gr a-frames @ 2700 fps from a 24" barrel. I will be re-chambering a 35 whelen ackley, and a .358" bore barrel with 1-12 or 1-14 twist makes the most sense to me for anyone considering building one, suite the barrel to the bullets available in this day and age. Reloading dies are avaialble from CH4D for $85 as I recall, std belted mag shellholder works fine.

One might also think, so what type of action do you use to harness such a round? If you use a 375 H&H type action, you have the length, but the bolt face is too big. If you use an -06, the bottom metal will be off, and you have to open up the bolt. I'm using a VZ-24, with bullets seated to the canalure, I'm comfortable with the amount of metal left behind the bottom lug of the action, the extra ~.10" compared to a 375 H&H round seems to be just enough. It looks like the lengthened magazene will hold 3 rounds.

If I were starting with a new action, I'm not sure which one is the best for the job. If anyone else is considering the project, feel free to e-mail me, or post here. There isn't much printed info on the round. I gleaned some from Cartridges of the World, but it's limited. My thought on load data is, with a case slightly larger then the 358 Norma, I'll just use Norma data, which is relatively common. I'm debating trying a 225 gr partition or X @ ~3000 fps, though figure the 250 a-frame @ 2700 will suite my hunting better.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the new Montana M1999 action, 3.650" magazine length, but have them put a '06 boltface in it. Around $495 in SS. For those not knowing, the M1999 is a M70 clone of sorts, but with a Mauser type bolt stop, Mauser breeching, and a 1-1/16" barrel shank. And it has Williams one piece bottom metal instead of that horrid two piece M70 trigger guard and floorplate. I have 4 ordered, including the PH version, with a 3.750" magazine and Rigby sized action rails and box width.

------------------
Currently in Exile on the Beautiful Olympic Peninsula of Washington State.

My Warden sometimes allows me to respond to email. NEW Address is rifles@earthlink.net

***********Jail Flash*******
Web site under construction: http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does CH4D have a website ?

Have been checking around for .358 STA dies , and the lowest price I can find is $105 for Reddings . Huntingtons wants $120 for a set of RCBS .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The address for CH4D is:
www.ch4d.com.
Good Hunting,

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
I have seen the 350 Rigby in action on a variety of Arican game. It seems to work very well about like the .375 and the 9,3's. I would have Dakota build the gun even though the I saw being ased was an original Rigby.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote