THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Just Bought New Sako Finnlight 270 WSM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just Bought New Sako Finnlight 270 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys:

I Picked up a new Sako Finnlight today. I think it was the only one in the state of PA. Man are these things hard to find.

Anyway it is Stainless steel and the scope rings that came with are blue steel. Does this make sence?

Anybody have a set of Optiko Sako Stainless Steel Sako scope rings that they want to trade for?

I also got this circular plastic handle, with what looks like a keyhole in the middle...??? What the hell is this for..???

I have been thinking of topping it off with one of the new Leupold Silver Ultralight VXII's at only 8.9 oz.. What ya think..??

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on your question re: the plastic thing, but I'll throw in on your scope. I like your idea, but I think I'd go with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 in black matte. It's also a nice light scope (about 12 ounces). I think a stainless rifle in black stock looks real sharp with a black scope. If your rings are matte, you wouldn't even need to trade.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Desert Ram:

Yeah I am thinking about just mounting a balck scope. But I want to put a 3x10 Leupold from my other rifle on this rifle...silver and the Ultralight on my other HEAVY 270 wsm. Thus it will reduce the other rifle by 5 oz... and I plan on shaving off another 8 to 10 oz from the heavy Boyd laminated stock.

I really like the Sako so far. I was going to buy a Kimber Montana 8400 but I didn't like the idea of a blind action. I also like a Monte Carlo stock.

Anyway, anybody know what this plastic doo hickey is for with keyhole in the middle?

Regards... Jim o.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA: There's a reason they're scarce: The Stainless Finnlight has experienced a series of catastrophic failures in the last several months due to an apparent defect in barrel steel. Check with Beretta USA, the importer, to determine whether your rifle is among the suspect serial numbers. If I were you, I would NOT fire it until having verified this.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The little plastic donut is a wrench for bolt disassembly. The keyhole fits over the bolt shroud in order to uncock the bolt for breakdown/cleaning.

Posts: 17 | Location: western wisconsin,USA | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stonecreek:

I am aware of the so called barrel failures, and I also have the serial numbers that they sent out for the recall, thanks to a fellow AR member. I made sure mine was not in that range.

WhiteHunter:

Why thank you for that information, maybe if the instruction booklet was in English I would of been able to figure it out for myself.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Sako 75 stainless/walnut came with nickel finish rings and bases, but I like the black one better, since I always use matte black scopes. Unfortunately I can't trade with you since I sold the rifle with the rings and all.

The owner's manual from mine came in several languages, including English.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PAHunter, Goofy not to have Stainless rings with a stainless rifle eh? I had the same issue. Maybe you find a store that will exchange them for you, like maybe buy the stainless ones and return the blued ones.....
An even funner idea is of course to buy a blued rifle to match the rings. If you do you definately are a gun nut.
Let us know how it shoots. Hopefully it will shoot as well as my two Finnlites. In the last few months I've shot an 8 pointer and 2 pigs with mine, good luck with yours..........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi DJ....

I called Beretta and they said no problem, send them back and they will send me the stainless ones. I even got a contact name and number. That was a nice surprise.

When I called I asked them if it was a mistake that they sent the black bases and rings with a stainless rifle, they said nope... all rings and bases sent with all rifles are black.

I ordered the new Leupold 3X9 VX-2 Ultralight in silver, just 8.8 ounces.

Now if it would stop fricken snowing in PA and warm a bit I could hit the range. Roll Eyes

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim, just an opinion. Stainless rifles have a purpose, so one has to accept that they are a tad shiny in the field. But what is the point of putting on a "light beacon" scope?? In particular the SS finished Leupolds are as shiny as anyting, and it is beyond me what advantage that is in the field. To each his own, I guess. IMHO, for a rifle as nice as this, you need a top of the line (within reason) scope. So look hard at a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or a 3.5-10x44 - either in matte black and with a Z-Plex reticle. Great prices can be found on eBay.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide on, and congrats on your new toy. Sakos are nice rifles.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mho:

I sort of agree with you, it is simply a taste styling issue with me, Stainless Steel gun, Sivler scope and mounts. I have three other SS rifles and they all wear SS mounts and Leupold silver scopes.

I have tried Zeiss and Swaro scopes, had one of each, they are fine scopes...But..but in my humble opinion not worth the extra money over a Leupold VX-III or VX-II. I have over a dozen Leupold scopes and have used them for over 30 years... never failed me yet From Montana to Tanaznia.

Regards... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, I guess part of the fun is that you get to choose what YOU want.

Re prices: with the new pricing regime in place for Leupolds, I just had a friend who priced a VX-II 3-90x50 (I believe the correct designation is?), and they came at about the same price as a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 on eBay. I like Leupolds, no doubt about it. But optically, there is no comparison between a Conquest and a VX-III - much less a VX-II.

Good luck.
-mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PAHunter:
I called Beretta and they said no problem, send them back and they will send me the stainless ones. I even got a contact name and number. That was a nice surprise.

Nice to hear you got great service from Beretta/Sako. I've seen a lot of people bitch about Beretta but they've always given me good service........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote