Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel helix
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted
Just purchased Merkel helix and I was wondering if engine has any inputs on these new toys

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They seems nice, we have to get pass through all the antique m98 sporters.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one for about a year now. Decent enough gun, and it cycles great. I really do like working with straight-pull guns for quick follow-up shots.
The one issue I would have is the way the bolt handle sticks out "too" far. Already had the bolt knob wear a hole through the padding of the hard case it came shipped in.
I'm hoping to find something like a Negrini case with a bit more depth to it to accomodate the bolt issue. I considered breaking it down into a case for long travels, but after researching how to remove the bolt, I hope to never have to resort to those measures!

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
I have it in 308
Been looking for 5 or 10 round magazine and seems it is only available in Europe so I wonder if I buy it there and can bring it in checked luggage back to Us

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have worked up a load for a good buddy that has one in 6.5x55 and 30-06. He loves it and been using it for 5 or so years. Breaks down easy and he flies with it often in the US and Africa. Not too sure about the issue jimmy j is speaking about pulling the bolt out? Maybe there is different model than my buddies but the bolt on his stays in the receiver. I don't like the the scope mounts to the receiver but has not caused him any issues for hunting purposes.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Here’s a Helix review I wrote up on the other site.

https://www.africahunting.com/...-helix-review.50506/

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob, great review. It sounds very similar to a Blaser R8, with the tight chamber, quick takedown, nitrided coating, long takedown wrench, and ultra accuracy.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Rob, great review. It sounds very similar to a Blaser R8, with the tight chamber, quick takedown, nitrided coating, long takedown wrench, and ultra accuracy.

No need for a long takedown wrench at all. The rifle fully breaks down with zero tools in about 8-10 seconds.

The only reason for the long takedown wrench is if you wanted to change the stock (*which I did…for an alaskan bear hunt).

Comparing it to the R8, it’s amazing how different the two are. The R8 is shorter…and a lot thicker in the wrist. The Helix is longer but skinnier. The handling is quite a bit different. For me, the Helix felt a lot better in the hand and better balanced.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote