New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about 9.3
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know anything about the 9.3x53R cartridge?Picking up a baby double rifle so chambered.Supposedly you make the brass off of 45/70s.Ballistics are supposed to be a 200 grain bullet at 1725 FPS.

Any info would be apprechiated.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian M, at that velocity level I would use Hawk bullets with the .025jkt.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF,
Thanks for the info.This won't be pointed at anything bigger than a 120 pound blacktail buck,so no worrys as far as power goes.

NE,
I have a bunch of DKT 193 grain softnoses that I picked up for my 9.3x72R.They have a lot of lead exposed and expand a lot at 1900 FPS from the 72mm round,so I am sure they will expand enough at 1700 FPS.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALF's reply is correct, but only to 50 %. The *other* and nowadays better known 9,3 x 53 R cartridge is derived from the 7,62 x 53 R (Finnish/Russian) and made by Sako. This latter is a powerful cartridge, unlike the Swiss one. Alas, Finnish ammo *can* be fired in Swiss chambers. Reloading data for the Swiss cartridge can be found via the two Swiss rifle webboards.

There also exists a Russian 9 x 53 R.

Regards,
Carcano
carcano91@hotmail.com

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Brian, is that the little 6.5Lb belguim double that Champlin's had? If so, I almost bought that rifle myself. Talk about a nice whitetail rifle, and with dies, cases, and ammo along with load data from the preveous owner. Hard deal to beat! [Cool]

If this is your first double rifle, welcome to the fools train of double rifle ownership! [Roll Eyes]

Happy hunting with your new double rifle! [Big Grin]

[ 11-23-2002, 23:27: Message edited by: MacD37 ]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote