THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Perfect caliber/bullet option for 1 rifle to do everything?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect caliber/bullet option for 1 rifle to do everything?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
You strike me as a very smart man. I would bet that your love of the second two provides ample motivation to keep the wife happy, I would also bet you do an excellent job of it.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be the .22 Long Rifle!

If I want more power/velocity-----I just pull the trigger harder! Big Grin

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag with a Barnes 180 gr. TTSX. Whitetails to Eland.

Posts: 1471 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
358 STA
275 Weldcore or 280 Aframe 2850 fps 4,900 pounds
Or
358 STA
275 Weldcore or 280 Aframe. 2600 fps, 4k plus.

Posts: 10900 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
3006 180 NP go forth and fill an ark

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have more than I can ever hunt with, but I sure hope to live long enough to try them all out.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunter white
posted Hide Post
7mm-08 or 270 wsm

Posts: 53 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 02 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Why bring such a hateful, non-inclusive topic to such a diverse group of hunters and shooters?

12 gauge pump gun.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like LHeym 500 I would choose the .358 STA with his bullets or the Northfork 280 grain at 2900 fps. It has accounted for several Elk and Deer for my son and I. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phurley5:

I got me some of those North Fork bullets.

150 yo be exact. That is all I could find.

Posts: 10900 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
500 Jeffery of course!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it blows my mind that usa is trying to copy the so great canadian model on firearms control ... we lost ar15 and many variants, cannot buy anymore handguns or even transfer them and of course the limitations on magazine. 10 for handguns and 5 for semi auto except if a pistol exist and in that case it is 10 ... and i forgot not anymore caliber that can exceed 10 000 joules ... so bye te 460 wea mag ...

Posts: 1737 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
wth happened to Canada? I used to go there a lot when I lived in Northern N.Y and later in Whitefish MT Nice people but their Government???

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
Nothing I read in there would preclude most people from buying additional firearms. Yes, the process will be onerous. If you spit the dummy and don’t buy more firearms because you don’t like the hoops they make you jump through then the anti gunners have won.

Yes, the system we have here now is a PITA but we get on, and it hasn't stopped the hunter, in Victoria at least, from buying as many rifles as he wants. These laws were instigated by a conservative Prime Minister who knew nothing much about guns he hadn't seen in movies (seeing bad guys 'shuck' their shotguns, he banned pumpguns as well as semi-autos for most people - fortunately he and his advisers had never heard of pump-action rifles).

The good news is that his folly also picked up most of the 'assault rifles' (the default weapon of most shoot'em-up computer games), hence we've not had another mass murder of the Port Arthur type since.

Crims have plenty of illegal handguns, of course, but they tend to just shoot each other. The self-styled-Rambo maniacs, however, had previously bought their 'assault rifles' legally and don't seem to have the mindset needed to find them on the black market.

As to the OP, I think a 300 magnum that can be loaded with heavy bullets for elk and loaded back for small stuff might do the job.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
My Tikka T3x 30-06 and 180 gr nosler partition

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me my 16 bore 7x65r combination gun built by Hambrusch is my allround gun. Shooting a 140 to 150gn Spitzer its good on deer out to 250. I have shot large boar with it as well.

And shot barrel for small game, ducks etc.

Both in a light and handy breakdown package for travelling with or putting in a back pack for long walk ins / climbs.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Two choices

Rem BDL in 7mm Rem Mag 175g A-Frame at 3000 fps

CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery 570g TSX at 2300 fps

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
PREAMBLE
Whereas the People of the State of Oregon have seen a sharp increase in gun sales, gun violence, and raised fear in
Oregonians of armed intimidation, it is imperative to enhance public health and safety in all communities;

These are the same two faced Commiecrat A-Holes who sat on their hands and even justified antifa's armed takeover of downtown Portland. Raised fear of armed intimidation huh?. moon

As for the OP's question, I would cast a vote for the 280 Remington. There is nothing the 30-06 can do that it cannot, and the 280 would be better suited for varmints.
The Bill calls for restraints of buying firearms, but I didnt see anything about ownership of previously purchased guns. Confused I cant believe this is even a discussion in America. 2020 Thanks DF Commiecrats.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Yes, the system we have here now is a PITA but we get on, and it hasn't stopped the hunter, in Victoria at least, from buying as many rifles as he wants. These laws were instigated by a conservative Prime Minister who knew nothing much about guns he hadn't seen in movies (seeing bad guys 'shuck' their shotguns, he banned pumpguns as well as semi-autos for most people - fortunately he and his advisers had never heard of pump-action rifles).

I noticed that the Euro's have a peculiar version of "Conservatives" as well. Here we call them RINO's. Lets be very clear about one thing, the State of Oregon is NOT run by Republicans.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Hunting has traditionally been a sport of the working class in this country, WH, and the Labor Party used to know that. The conservative 'Liberal' Party and its coalition partner, on the other hand, represented rich landowners and urban silvertails. The big landowners often had fine guns themselves but little sympathy for landless shooters looking for somewhere to hunt. The silvertails are less likely to shoot but just as likely to worry about their property being stolen, possibly by people with guns.

The worst gun laws in this country are in the enormous state called Western Australia, where the 'squatters' (big ranchers) have had a lot of power and established the restrictive outlook. Many of the city dwellers there have migrated from Britain, a place not famous for lower-class-shooters' freedoms, so are inclined to cop restrictive laws from both sides of politics.

Posts: 4966 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many of the city dwellers there have migrated from Britain

And other countries that have no firearm rights or traditions.

Why do you think the communist's love immigration. From non-English speaking countries.

Back to the topic.

Again 30-06 with a good 180gr bullet.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Two choices

Rem BDL in 7mm Rem Mag 175g A-Frame at 3000 fps

CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery 570g TSX at 2300 fps

Wait----Isn't that first one actually a .30-06?

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoWyo:
Why bring such a hateful, non-inclusive topic to such a diverse group of hunters and shooters?

12 gauge pump gun.

Not a rifle, so .338 Win. Mag. 225 gr. Nosler Partition.

Posts: 397 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did this once. I owned several dozen rifles .17 to 50 caliber at the time because I simply wanted them. However, I started hunting all over North America and did for 20 some years. I bought a first model Ruger 77 in .338 WM, had it Magnaported and bedded it in a graphite stock. Scope was a Leupold VariX in 1-6. Before I started load development I bought a box of Federal Premium 210gr Nosler Partition. First group went into 3/8" and I never looked at anything else. I used it for every head of big game I shot for the next 20 some years. It was stable as to sighting, impervious to weather, had great accuracy and wind buckingand would shoot throug any animal I hunted from end to end. Recoil was subdued by the Magna Port. Meat damage was very minimal even on antelope. Shot several coyote running at a distance with no problem. One shot kills were the norm. To me, it was the perfect big game rifle and its was familiar to me. I once had an elk/bear guide give up his 375 and buy a duplicate of mine after watching it work for a week.

The one gun policy is a great idea, whether dictated by law or not.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
I have an AV Sako that will do that with those Fed premium 210 NP’s as well!! It must be their gold medal match for 338 WM!

I should try them in my carbine…

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You have to base your cartridge on the most difficult shot that you have to make. Therefore, for ELK at long distance you need a magnum with a heavy, mono-metal or bonded core bullet.

In case anyone is interested, Oregon's Prop 114 was just enjoined permanently. An Oregon District judge ruled it as being a violation of the Oregon State constitution.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
quote:
Originally posted by Bushchook:
Nothing I read in there would preclude most people from buying additional firearms. Yes, the process will be onerous. If you spit the dummy and don’t buy more firearms because you don’t like the hoops they make you jump through then the anti gunners have won.

The good news is that his folly also picked up most of the 'assault rifles' (the default weapon of most shoot'em-up computer games), hence we've not had another mass murder of the Port Arthur type since.

Crims have plenty of illegal handguns, of course, but they tend to just shoot each other. The self-styled-Rambo maniacs, however, had previously bought their 'assault rifles' legally and don't seem to have the mindset needed to find them on the black market.

As to the OP, I think a 300 magnum that can be loaded with heavy bullets for elk and loaded back for small stuff might do the job.

Don't let our legislators know, but we can still get most guns if we jump through the right hoops and hold our noses as we answer the questions on the "safety quiz" to get on the ok list for buying ammunition. I am waiting for the pendulum to swing back the other way.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well they stepped on their pinky with that one, it goes against the Constition of the United and "shall not be infringed", so if it passes the Supreme court will overturn it..Now if the NRA will get off its ass and earn their keep..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fat F…ing chance of the NEA doing fuck nor all.

They are too busy junketing and getti BF photo ops.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1050 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I keep wondering about the ancient 8X57 with the best current powders and bullets. There aren't many warts on a 180-grain TSX at 2,700.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I keep wondering about the ancient 8X57 with the best current powders and bullets. There aren't many warts on a 180-grain TSX at 2,700.

I’m curious about the 8mm load combo myself. Got a couple of milsurps, but recently got a Husqvarna FN action 98 rifle in 8x57 from Simpsons.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 945 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think a 7mm-08 with 140s at close to 2800 is just about perfect.

It can also double as a very capable moderate volume varmint rifle. Are you going to want to shoot 250 rounds probably not but I have shot 100 rounds of 308 of 168 grain 308 wins on ground squirrel with little fuss.

I am probably different than most hunters/shooters but past a 100 rounds of anything I get pretty bored unless we are talking about a training exercise.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
Seems to me a Blaser R8 might provide alternatives to you.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 rifle for everything!

I hunt NA & Africa, so that leaves me with little choice…375H&H with 300 gr. SAF & BBS.

But that would break my heart to give up my 25-06, 280 Rem., 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x66,
and 404 Jeffery. Life would be diminished.

Posts: 2591 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
For America, 270 Winchester with a 140 grain bullet.

For Africa I have it already, my own 375/404 and 300 grain Walterhog bullet.

The single biggest impression any caliber and bullet has made on me is a .270 Winchester with the Barnes 110 TTSX.

I have used Barnes bullets on a lot of deer in calibers from .223 up to .45. The little .223 with 53 grain TSX bullets did a good job killing deer quickly and made nice holes, about like a classic 30-30. All of the .223 killed deer were complete pass throughs. Two, completely disconnected the heart loose in the chest. I have never recovered a bullet from a deer I've shot with any copper mono bullet. I have never had any copper mono unduly tear up meat, and I shoot pretty uniformly high velocity loads.

One particular deer stands out in a rather spectacular fashion though. I shot a doe at almost 300 yards with a 270 Winchester and a Barnes 110 grain TTSX. Because she was so far out on a cut hay field, and it was in the last minutes of shooting time I wanted her on the ground RIGHT NOW! Those blood trails on cut hay fields can be very hard to follow. She was a little quartering away and I high shouldered her. The bullet put a quarter sized hole in the onside, the onside shoulder blade had a fist size hole. The bullet then went through 4 ribs close to the spine where they are horizontal and an inch wide. Next, it took a fist size chunk out of the bottom of her spine. Then it took out 2 more ribs edgewise and made a quarter sized hole in the off side shoulder blade. Quarter sized hole in the hide on exit. Needless to say, she just flopped and went straight down. Two shoulder blades, six ribs, four inches of spine while traversing over a foot of deer in a remarkably straight line! That's a LOT of bone, and it trashed the lungs as well! Especially for a 110 grain bullet!

The rifle started giving me caliber wide by 1/2 inch groups in the workup at 3170 FPS. I decided that probably would kill deer just fine and stopped right there even though it was well below what H4350 would give me. I have killed more than a few deer with that combination and it performed very well every time. It is just amazingly efficient, very mild shooting and does not waste meat. It penetrates long distances when I have needed it on big deer, and it has never failed to exit. Sometimes a person just gets lucky.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For America, 270 Winchester with a 140 grain bullet.

X2

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Cogswell & Harrison Mauser in .30 super!

Posts: 463 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hypothetical situation, but i'll play along . If I could only have one rifle to hunt the world , no state imposed caliber restrictions, it would be 358 norma magnum . With 310 woodleigh solids to 225 tsx and all in-between, what couldn't you kill ? Recoil manageable, standard length action, 8lb rifle , 24 inch barrel , custom fit stock, let's go hunting Smiler

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never saw .358NM on store shelves----that's gotta tell ya sumpin'! Confused

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Never saw .358NM on store shelves----that's gotta tell ya sumpin'! Confused

Hip

Lotta 6.5 CM around though, but not my choice for a one rifle do it all hypothetical situation Wink On the other hand, I cant remember the last time I bought a box of ammunition other than 22 rimfire Smiler

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote