Find
Notify
Tools

270wsm groups
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I've tried four different powders and five different bullets ranging from 130 grain to 150 grains. The powders have been RL 22, Retumbo, H4831 SC and RL19. The bullets have been TSX 130"s, TXS 140"s, 140 Hornady"s, Accubond 140's, Swift A-Frames in 150 grain all in my 270 WSM in a Tikka T3 and nothing has shot very well. The only thing that shoots in it so far is the factory Fusion 150 grain bullets. I'm just waiting until deer season is over to glass bed the rifle and start over again. I've found this rifle to be very frustrating to say the least. The store I bought it from says it's the first T3 to not shoot sub MOA groups. The thing that bothers me is it is not consistent. One group might be 1 1/4 and the next 2.5 inches. At least the factory ammo proves the set up is OK. With some 130 grain factory ammo it shot one group as a clover leaf and the one before it was 2 inches and the one after it was 2.5. Go figure. Someone posted up that they found the T3 to be fussy on the action screw tension so I think I'll make up the best shooting load and mess with the tension and then work on bullet seating depth to see if the best load (1 1/4 ) will fine tune. Open to suggestions. I'll try working up to that RL22 load with the Accubonds as well.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470 Mbogo:
I've tried four different powders and five different bullets ranging from 130 grain to 150 grains. The powders have been RL 22, Retumbo, H4831 SC and RL19. The bullets have been TSX 130"s, TXS 140"s, 140 Hornady"s, Accubond 140's, Swift A-Frames in 150 grain all in my 270 WSM in a Tikka T3 and nothing has shot very well. The only thing that shoots in it so far is the factory Fusion 150 grain bullets. I'm just waiting until deer season is over to glass bed the rifle and start over again. I've found this rifle to be very frustrating to say the least. The store I bought it from says it's the first T3 to not shoot sub MOA groups. The thing that bothers me is it is not consistent. One group might be 1 1/4 and the next 2.5 inches. At least the factory ammo proves the set up is OK. With some 130 grain factory ammo it shot one group as a clover leaf and the one before it was 2 inches and the one after it was 2.5. Go figure. Someone posted up that they found the T3 to be fussy on the action screw tension so I think I'll make up the best shooting load and mess with the tension and then work on bullet seating depth to see if the best load (1 1/4 ) will fine tune. Open to suggestions. I'll try working up to that RL22 load with the Accubonds as well.
Take good care,
Dave

Dave, I'd also check the scope and the rings, sometimes inconsistant groupings can be due to problems there.
I also noticed that my Sako has a lot longer throat than my Kimbers. I don't know if Tikka's are throated similarly but wouldn't be surprised if they were since they use the same barrel blanks. Accubonds and TSX's seem to be bullets that shoot well further off the lands than others, might be worth trying? Good Luck.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my brother a T3 for christmas 2 years ago loaded 130 grain nosler ballistic tips seated out as far as the Tikka magazine would allow and it shoots 5/8 groups with a medium load of IMR 4350 he accounted for about six deer with it this year.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert,
welcome to our forum.
fish''s 1st post was refering to a ladder test,drop 3or4 grains down from manual max loads and work back up in 1/2 grain increments to find your rifle personal max. don''t know if your a veteran reloader or not? along this loading ladder you will most likely fine your barrels sweet-spot. this can and does very from powder to powder and bullet to bullet of different manufactures.many people over-shoot their barrels reload sweet-spot looking for speed i'm just as guilty myself. magpro worked great in a 1885 browning high-wall single shot 270wsm i loaded for in 2006.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave, I'd also check the scope and the rings, sometimes inconsistant groupings can be due to problems there.
I also noticed that my Sako has a lot longer throat than my Kimbers. I don't know if Tikka's are throated similarly but wouldn't be surprised if they were since they use the same barrel blanks. Accubonds and TSX's seem to be bullets that shoot well further off the lands than others, might be worth trying? Good Luck.....................DJ

I have the Talley light weight one piece rings on the gun and a Bushnell 4200 series 2.5 to 10
The gun will shoot with the factory Fusion 150's so that pretty much proved the rings and scope are fine. I've tried lots of combinations but so far only the factory Fusions shoot well
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help on loads ect. It was also nice to see the lack of snide posts.

I have just recently started loading. I've been loading as per benchrest type reloads. I have determed my 270wsm doesn't like neck sizing only, chambers too hard for hunting, went to fullsizing only enough to chamber smoothly. I don't crimp as most seem to say not to. I've started at min loads and worked my way to max, by 1/2 gr and still can't beat the FED Prem loads, I'm a little better than the WIN Suprem though. Factory ok for hunting but at close to $2.00 a shot. I was going to try another powder next, but if I'm really shooting out the throat developing load, what's the point. Six grains (min to max) by 1/2 grain at a time, times ten rounds each, 120 rounds and then different powder, another 120 rds. When you settle on powder then different seating depths, primers, ect.
I just don't see barrel burning out that quick unless you shoot it hot. I've shot alot rounds through my 22-250 and not burnt it up( 30yrs times at least 50rds a year, 1500 to 3000rds) I don't shoot it until it glows though, I learned after burning up mini-14, 500rds in 4 hours at pd town.

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert_in_mt:
Thanks for all the help on loads ect. It was also nice to see the lack of snide posts.

I have just recently started loading. I've been loading as per benchrest type reloads. I have determed my 270wsm doesn't like neck sizing only, chambers too hard for hunting, went to fullsizing only enough to chamber smoothly. I don't crimp as most seem to say not to. I've started at min loads and worked my way to max, by 1/2 gr and still can't beat the FED Prem loads, I'm a little better than the WIN Suprem though. Factory ok for hunting but at close to $2.00 a shot. I was going to try another powder next, but if I'm really shooting out the throat developing load, what's the point. Six grains (min to max) by 1/2 grain at a time, times ten rounds each, 120 rounds and then different powder, another 120 rds. When you settle on powder then different seating depths, primers, ect.
I just don't see barrel burning out that quick unless you shoot it hot. I've shot alot rounds through my 22-250 and not burnt it up( 30yrs times at least 500rds a year) I don't shoot it until it glows though, I learned after burning up mini-14, 500rds in 4 hours at pd town.

Robert ,
It doesn't take 10 shots to pick a powder charge that your rifle doesn't like . Usually 2 or 3 will be sufficient . Save the 10 shotters for charge weights that show some promise .
Also , would you be prepared to use a load in the field that is 6gns below maximum ? I sure as hell wouldn't . If you're like me then there isn't a lot of point firing off groups at those levels . One or two shots perhaps to check for pressure signs with starting loads .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Agree with everything said by djpainles; my NULA 270 WSM has been my most accurate medium game rifle and is my "go to" gun! It shot a 0.37" group at 200 yds. with 60.5 gr. of IMR-4350 & 140 gr. Accubonds!!! NO, I'm not that good, but everyone has their lucky days!!! Has shot everything I've tried easily under 1" at 100 yds,; not picky at all. EXCELLENT CARTRIDGE.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason I was loading ten at a time, was the range is about ten miles away, next door in MT, and usally like to shoot a least 20 or 30 rds from each gun. Seems like even a couple hundred rds go by way to quick. I do most of my shooting with the 22-250 or 243 as they are pretty close to 270wsm out to 400yds which is max at local range. If I see promising load, then I go to spot 25 miles away where I can shoot up to 1k. And no I don't load 10 min loads, I like everyone else want max vel/ max accuracy.
Robert

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote