New
Find
Notify
Tools

270wsm groups
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a win 270wsm, it shoots almost moa and would like some tips on improving it. It will group 1 1/4" at 100yds, 1 1/2" at 200yds, 2 3/4" at 300yds and 4" at 400yds. I reload for it 61 imr 4350 140 accubond seated from touching lands to .050 jump. Have went to a 8x24 scope and that has resulted in currant groups. I used to shoot a 300 win and always had better groups close to 1/2 moa. Is it the 270wsm or the rifle Win vs rem?

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
While I personally strive for the best accuracy possible, within my means, I'm not sure what your goal here is.

quote:
It will group 1 1/4" at 100yds, 1 1/2" at 200yds, 2 3/4" at 300yds and 4" at 400yds.

I think that if you are grouping 4" at 400 yards, you need not worry too much about everything in between, unless you plan on shooting beyond 400 regularly.

The 1/4" increase from 100-200 yards is very small. What kind of groups would you prefer at the 4 different ranges you mention?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .270 WSM as well as a 7mm WSM both in a Win Mod 70 both with under 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. In the the .270 WSM my load for our last trip to Africa was 130 grain Swift a-frame over 65.5 grains of RL-22 with a fed-215 primer. Also use reduced recoil loads developed using Hodgdon 4895.

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I shot the 300 in 1000yd at W Sac range but due to moving, kids ect gave it up.
I've found that 300 gets me flinching after 20 or so rounds, so went to the 270wsm, I like the recoil difference but can't get to 1/2 moa. I'm thinking of just using this one for hunting and go to 6.5-284 like everyone else for 1K.

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,alot of people including me are dissapointed with this cartridge.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had a rifle that I could shoot 4 inch groups with at 400 yards I would be absolutely estatic!
That will hit a big game animals heart every time. What more do you need?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert my sako in 270WSM shoots 1/2 inch gruops@ 100yds and my Blaser R93 barrel does half of that consistantly I have not been able to catch what type of rifle you have but you should be able to cut your 100yd group size in half if you monkey with it

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Robert,alot of people including me are dissapointed with this cartridge.

...and many of us are very impressed and happy with this cartridge

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert, I for one am not disappointed at all! I am a .270 nut, and have over a dozen of them! Having said that, I also have 5 in 270 WSM. All of them shoot sub 1/2 minute. I have found seating depth can affect just about any rifle a good bit when fine tuning for max accuracy, and the 270 WSM is no exception.

Sooooo, I would tinker with seating depth, and see what you come up with. On another note, I have one 270 WSM that was a little picky, and I found that 1 grain of powder made a difference in this rig. I tried about 2 grains more powder than it's optimal load during load development, and nothing special, around 1" at 100, but that load, and one 3 grains lighter showed an accuracy node, so I went through that range in one grain increments, and I hit on the load that looked great. Loaded up eighteen of them with various seating depths, and voila, sub 1/2 minute.
This was by far my pickiest 270 WSM, the rest of them got to that level with much less load work, and two of them shot factory Win Supreme ammo sub minute right from jump street.

One last thought, I have become very picky about barrel break in when seeking sub minute accuracy, and I think it does matter, despite what some may say, so if you haven't been through that process, or even if you haven't had 200 or so rounds through the gun, you may have a while to go before your barrel is 'settled down'.

The 270 WSM will shoot as good or better than the 300 WM, believe that!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270WSM will not stand 200 rds before it starts key-holeing.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got almost 500 rds through mine over 5yrs.
It shows very little wear, throat good, chamber is still tight. It seems to group in almost same hole a 100, even if I vary powder from min to max, vertial string with weights from 200 yds on though. I've thought about rebarrel but am reconsidering if I want to switch cal though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way in the world that you have a throat left after 500rds.Do you know how to check for this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shootaway adds another to his long list of totally incorrect and amazingly stupid comments.

I have 3 270 WSM's and all shoot sub-MOA. A couple of them shoot quite a bit better than that (even after more than 200rds Smiler ). My favorite powders for the 270WSM have been RL-22 and Magpro with a strong leaning towards RL-22. You might try a couple slower powders in yours. All three of my 270 WSM's like the 140gr Accubond.

Most rifles that shoot 4" groups at 400yds are going to be shooting well under 1" groups at 100yds. Could there be a bit of a Parallax issue with your scope? I'd keep experimenting but I certainly wouldn't be the least bit afraid of hunting anything I'd use a 270WSM for with one that shot 4" groups at 400yds.

I shot a small Pennsylvania Whitetail with one of my 270 WSM's last week:

No keyholing Roll Eyes (even though the rifle has more than 200 rds through it), just perfect bullet performance and meat in the freezer......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, ich glaube hat keinen Anhaltspunkt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270wsm is an extremely overbore cartridge.Its looks are really decieving from an accuracy standpoint.It looks like the most accurate cartridge of all,the 6mmppc but its accuracy is inferior to other older cartridges in the same energy class,like the 7mmRM,300wm,270win.Overbore cartridges do not produce good groups because barrel steel is shot down the barrel along with the bullet.You might get good groups at 100yds,but any piece of junk groups well at 100.Two hundred yds is THE STANDARD for testing the accuracy of a rifle.If one of my rifles can't group below 2 inches at this distance then it doesn't get to hunt.I don't spend time reloading and shooting for NOTHING.I put my effort to WORKING REALITY.I AM A WORKING REALITY PERSON,in that FRUIT from my WORK becomes REALITY.You guys are like TREES THAT DON"T PRODUCE FRUIT.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind I will have to remain fruitless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I put my effort to WORKING REALITY.I AM A WORKING REALITY PERSON,in that FRUIT from my WORK becomes REALITY.

Nah........Just a fruit rotflmo .............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 WSM is NOT an "Extremely Overbore" round. It's a little overbore but not nearly as much as the Ultramags and other rounds. Accuracy barrel life for the 270 WSM will range into the thousands of rounds with normal loads and probably last the lifetime of it's vast majority of users.

It shoots just fine at 200yds:

(Again with a rifle with well over 200 rounds through it).

Other even more overbore rounds then the 270 WSM shoot just fine at long distance, people are setting records with them at 1000yds.
Sorry Shootaway, I can't imagine you are really being completely serious in many of your posts as ignorant as they are..........................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
This group was not from a 270wsm with 200rds through it.Feed that bull to someone else.Overbore cartridges can be used at long range when the choice barrel is to fire only a handfull of rds and the loads are not anywhere near max.Unlike 1000 yd target shooters using big magnum cartridges with depressed velocities ,we hunters want top velocity from our cartridges and choose cartridges for the job on hand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This group was not from a 270wsm with 200rds through it.Feed that bull to someone else.Overbore cartridges can be used at long range when the choice barrel is to fire only a handfull of rds and the loads are not anywhere near max.Unlike 1000 yd target shooters using big magnum cartridges with depressed velocities ,we hunters want top velocity from our cartridges and choose cartridges for the job on hand.

Shootaway, When you've stuck yourself down in a hole the best thing to do is stop digging!......................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Overbore does not exist any longer, or not in as many chamberings that is once did. With the advent of some of todays super slow powders in the H870 and 50BMG range, virtually any round can be loaded to a 90+% load density, even the ultramags. Think Retumbo, N170, US869, RL25, H1000, etc.

rule of thumb,..40lbs of powder usually burns a throat.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What?????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert in mt,

One cartridge is usually about as accurate as another as long as the rifles are similar.

I think the 270 WSM is a good one. Mine is no more accurate than yours. Things vary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What?????

Sir, you make ridiculous statements

You same as call Mr. DJ a liar

Your post are based on heresay and therfore not to be believed

Then you unsuccesfully try to pull off being a smartass

Your fruit tree is only bearing nuts but there is hope nut trees can sometimes be made into beutifull stocks

So keep spreading more fertilizer on your tree

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no way in the world that you have a throat left after 500rds.Do you know how to check for this?

Good grief, do you suppose this fellow has ever picked up a rifle before??

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, this is when the ignore function should be put to use........

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unlike 1000 yd target shooters using big magnum cartridges with depressed velocities ,we hunters want top velocity from our cartridges and choose cartridges for the job on hand.

Why would target shooters use "depressed velocities"? 1000 yard cartridges are usually in the high 2000s in fps, or low 3000s. Why would they use a big magnum for these low velocities? Empty space in the cartridge isn't inherently accurate. I'm also sure that "1000 yard cartridges" would be plenty fine for hunting. 6.5x284 is probably fine for deer...so are the other 6.5s, and 7mms, and 30s, and 300s, and 338s, and...

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles
Thanks for info, I haven't tried R22 as it's not in my book nor on hodgdon's website. How close to max is the 66gr load. I have tried the H1000, but that is a compressed load, have you tried that and had any luck?, or are you happy with the R22.
I have been using fed cases, as I don't like win nickel cases. I have found feds can take about 1gr to 2gr above max listed for win cases.

There is sometimes some good advice out here if you can weed through all of the unnessary bull and nastiness.

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert- I start getting pressure signs at 68.5 grains with reloader-22. Excellent cartridge/round! Mine shoots both the Nosler partition and accubond well. Tends to like the bullet seated a little deeper vs. just off the lands.

Posts: 102 | Location: Queen Creek, Arizona | Registered: 16 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Couestaxi:
Robert- I start getting pressure signs at 68.5 grains with reloader-22. Excellent cartridge/round! Mine shoots both the Nosler partition and accubond well. Tends to like the bullet seated a little deeper vs. just off the lands.

+1, although 68 grains is where my max loads were, so I stopped there and backed down to around 66.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:

Good grief, do you suppose this fellow has ever picked up a rifle before??

+1 thumb

quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

Good point Whitworth, I've never used the ignore function, but shootaways posts make me want to at least check and see about it.....I wonder if he's related to former poster (and idiot) AssClown......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last loads I worked up using H4831SSC were very consistant Have a keg of IMR 7828 I plan on trying next but so far the four powders I have tryed the worst shooting loads were more than satisfactory for all hunting situations I may run into.

The 270 Wsm seems to be a easygoing round to dink with.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:

And miss this entertainment?? This stuff is priceless!!

I guess I've already shot out the barrel in my 338-378 Weatherby since I've put 141 rounds through it so far... I'm thinking with this information in hand there is no need for me to finish working up loads for this rifle Roll Eyes....

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be mean, but has anyone besides Shootaway seen a 100 yd keyhole from shotout throats? I've heard of it in slow twist, heavy bullet (.22-250 1/12 75gr), but at 300 to 400yds not 100.

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
R in MT:

IMO you're doing good. My A-bolt does 1.25" at 100 yds after EXTENSIVE testing. Probably a limitation of the rifle, not the cartridge, as some custom shops garuntee sub moa with .270 WSM rifles.

FWIW you may be at the limit of your rifle. You may be able to increase by messing with primers, tenths of a grain changers in charge (Thats a pretty stiff charge, over many load books max) ect.

But if not, be happy with what ya got, its better than alot of factory rifles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not me and I pop about 2500 primers a year.

The only keyholes I have ever experianced was a M70 carbine in 250-3000 with a 1 in 14 twist when using 100 gr boattails accurcy sucked and you would get a key hole every now and then 100 flat bases shot fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert, As far as maximum loads for RL-22 I would let your Chronograph tell you. Work up slowly and stop when you hit 3250 with 140gr bullets or when you get close and have excellent accuracy.
66grs at 3233 is probably right at max for my 2 Kimbers but the same load shoots 150fps or so slower in my Sako M-85 and so the Sako might be able to go a little higher - I tried other powders instead.
The 66 gr load in Win Cases, 215M primers, less than .002 runout has shot 1/2 MOA in Both my Kimbers and my buddies HS Precision rifle that I load for. I think it's at least a good starting point.
Another buddy had great success in his winchester with 140gr TSX's and Magpro, maybe PRDATOR will chime in with his loads. He drilled a few pigs with his M-70 Featherweight 270 WSM at over 300yds.
The 270 WSM is a pretty easy round to load for and works well in several different makes of rifles. Consider the source on some of the negative reports you see..........................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ
Thanks again, yeah I noticed some of the same handles tend to come up in a great deal of the posts. Maybe they should be checking IDS to keep the kids off the forums, opps I guess that wouldn't work since most of them should be old enough to know how to act in public.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts from everyone.
And to the others, keep up the good work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not treat everyone with respect because not everyone deserves my respect.Those that do will be surprised at the level of respect they get from me.I don't mind shitting on people if that's what they desrve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Surely one would need to specify the bullet, twist and velocity? All the time beyond 200yrds?

So for the sake of comparison, if one was was to load the same design 130gr bullet in a .270WSM, a .270Win and a .270WBY and push it at 3000fps; beyond 200yrds the one fired from the WSM is sure to key-hole, the others are not?

In my humble opinion the .270WSM is overbore but not nearly as much (surely) as the likes of the .270WBY, .264WM, .257WBY, 6.5x68RWS etc, all of which are hard on barrels, but man 500 round useable barrel life....seems exagrerated.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote