New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jack Atcheson's .338
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've read Jim Carmichel's description of an abbreviated barreled synthetic stocked post 64 push feed Model 70 338 that Jack would take down and tote around the world. Does anyone know or have any details about this rifle or have photos of it? Thanks.

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I dunno...but I know Keith quite well and have had the opportunity to share a couple of holidays meals with Jack, Sr. I will see what I can find out.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that would be great!

Posts: 2652 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a Ruger, but it is a great idea nonetheless.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Here is what I have so far.

It is is a post 64 push feed M-70 in 338 WM. It is not a takedown. It was restocked by a Gunsmith from Livingston, MT. years ago after the original stock was broke after a horse fell on it in rough terrain. Jack Sr. was in the saddle when the horse fell and the stock snapped in half. Jack Sr. decided he wanted a lighter rifle and had the barrel cut to 22 inches and turned down. The rifle and scope with the synthetic stock weigh less than 7.5 pounds.

It's been used for everything in the world from Turkeys to Giraffe.

Jack Sr is now 79 and two years ago he killed a nice 6 point bull with the rifle at 300 yards. Last year he killed a big cow elk with it and loaded the whole thing in the pickup bed by himself.

Working on getting pictures.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Have is what I have so far.

It is is a post 64 push feed M-70 in 338 WM. It is not a takedown. It was restocked by a Gunsmith from Livingston, MT. years ago after the original stock was broke after a horse fell on it and rough terrain. Jack Sr. was in the saddle when the horse fell and the stock snapped in half. Jack Sr. decided he wanted a lighter rifle and had the barrel cut to 22 inches and turned down. The rifle and scope with the synthetic stock weigh less than 7.5 pounds.

It's been used for everything in the world from Turkeys to Giraffe.

Jack Sr is now 79 and two years he killed a nice 6 point bull with the rifle at 300 yards. Last year he killed a big cow elk with it and loaded the whole thing in the pickup bed by himself.

Working on getting pictures.

Thanks!

I knew it wasn't a take down, but I think Jim commented that when he traveled with it he would separate the stock from the action affectively taking it down. Kinda weird I remember that and not really important I guess.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I'd read that story years ago. The author said that Mr. Atcheson would separate the stock and action and could put them in a regular suitcase for travel.

Something everyone should have. Cool

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Keith and he said his dad may have traveled with rifle broke down from time to time but it wasn't necessarily a regular practice.

Here is a photo of the rifle:

Jack Sr is 79 years young.

The rubber on the barrel is to aid in gripping as Jack Sr. uses it help him hike.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sure looks like a 24" barrel.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very neat. Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those older guns, blue worn and scratched up are so much cooler than the latest toy or safe queen.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a nice thread!

Thank you for the question ... and the answer w pics. Very nice that it was possible to go to the source!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote