New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Mannlicher question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have come across a 1910 9.5mm take down rifle with a factory 20" barrel and was wondering how common these are?

Thanks for any info.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dime a dozen.
i cant belive someone would try to sell such a pice of junk.
that really burns me.
give the the phone number of the person who is selling it and ill set them straight.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up

one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my recollection, every factory 1910 takedown rifle that I have seen had a 23.5" barrel. However, the M-S custom shop would produce just about anything requested by special order (ribs, sights, barrel lengths, etc).

Also, many shops in the British trade would build their own guns on M-S actions, so that increases the possibilities. Such guns will have the trade name stamped on the barrel.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KurtC is right on. I would not call a custom M1910 a "dime a dozen", but they are among the more common of these old rifles. Look for the trade name on this rifle for provenance, and to get an idea of the variety of fixtures you could order on a pre WWII M-S, look in the 1939 issue of Shooters Bible, usually available as a reprint, where you can see the hundreds of possibilities.

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Thanks guys. I have viewed the rifle and there are no English trade names on it. Everything "looks" Mannlicher factory to me - except for the length of the barrel. I do recall seeing a similar example being auctioned by Holts last year.

sierra2 where would I buy a copy of the 1939 shooters bible you mention?

Cheers.

GG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GG375, look in the book tables in most gun shows, it's an orange-yellow-white cover. Also I've seen them on Ebay, and I believe you may be able to find them at some of the online book sellers like ABE Books and Books-a-million.

LLS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ooooppss, just realized you are in Australia. I would suggest you try Amazon.com, ABE Books.com, Books-a-million.com, and Barnes and Noble.com as sources for this old book as well as Ebay.com

Good luck

LLS

one of us
posted Hide Post
sierra2

Will do and thanks for the help mate.

Cheers.

GG