Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7,62*39 for hunting?
 Login/Join

posted
I have a question: how of you is using a 7,62*39 for hunting? Wich are your expiriences? What bullet did you use?
Thanks a lot Florian

Posts: 30 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
My oldest son used the 7.62/39 for whitetail deer this past season, He was using open sights and every deer was shot within 100 yards with no problems- bullet was a hornady sp designed for the cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's assume the use of game bullets, and just look at the velocities. the 7.62 x 39 pretty much equals the 30-30. If the 30-30 is good enough to hunt with, I guess the 7.62 x 39 makes the grade. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Florian Wegehaupt:
I have a question: how of you is using a 7,62*39 for hunting? Wich are your expiriences? What bullet did you use?
Thanks a lot Florian

I built one on a Turk Mauser action for one of my Grandsons. He hasn't had the chance to hunt it yet, but it seems perfectly capable of taking your average whitetail. Bullet is Hornady 123gr.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear how that works out. I think it's an excellent choice. It's more than enough cartridge to kill deer and black bear with, and you can practice with cheaper ammo than just about any other centrfire rifle.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted with the 7.62x39 per se, but have used one for the coup de grace on a downed deer.

Charles Daly is importing the Zastava Mini Mark X "Mauser" now in this caliber (apparently they haven't actually reached distributors yet), and I'm planning to get one for short-range hunting for deer from blinds in Central Texas. Should be just right for this.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ also imported them in the 527 carbine but I think they quit making them. I have two that I'm rebbling to PPC calibers. Nice little rifles.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote