New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Long Actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What has been the experience of owners of 8400 Kimbers? I was all set to buy one but was advised against it by a dealer whose opinion I trust. Their experience with Kimbers has been great in the short mags but not so good with everything else.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 8400 classic in .300 Win Mag (Not WSM). First three groups I shot with it were all under an inch. It loves Federal High energy 200 gr partitions, also go under an inch.

Fit, finish are excellent. Weighs 8lb 4oz with a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10 in Talley LW rings.

I just need to cut the barrel back to 24 inches and it'll be about perfect.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an 8400 in .30-06. It is a fine rifle the fit finish and the wood are very nice. The trigger is smooth, light and crisp.

It shoots 180gr TSX's into one ragged hole at 100 yards.

I highly recommend these rifles. They are a fine buy for the money.

I must respectfully disagree with your dealer.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My one experience with Kimber was a disaster. I ordered a 8400 in a .270 Winchester when they first came out. When the rifle arrived the wood to metal fit was the absolute worst I have ever seen on any rifle. The barrel almost came completely out of the channel before it came to the end. Wood rubbed against one side of the barrel and had a huge gap on the other side. The action had the same problems. I called Kimber and told them about it and they sent a "call tag" and UPS picked the rifle up about a week later. When I got the rifle back a few weeks later it had a new piece of wood on it that was nicer than the one it came with but they put a dig in the buttstock area and scratched the muzzle. Needless to say, I was pissed off and disgusted by the whole thing and the idea of owning a Kimber had lost it's charm. I sold the rifle on the classified board (full discloser) and moved on. The new owner say's it shoots .5's on a regular basis and he's happy with it.

I will never buy another one. The quality isn't there.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 8400 montana in 300wsm, dam that trigger was heavy from the factory, after 100 odd rounds lightened the thing off and trimmed up the creap a bit, could get rid of all the creap and i have used smoother triggers before, but its not too bad otherwise. it just loves 150gr nosler ballistic tips.

they are like most rifles, some people will like them and others wont. some of the rifles will shoot under half inch while some wont be capable of doing under 1.5" with any load.

if you buy a montana be aware if you try to take too much of the stock for free floating, if you go too deep, which isnt very deep at all, you will start running into air bubbles in the stock and they lead into the middle of the stock which is a big pain in the ass.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Montana 338 is a great rifle as are a couple SuperAmericas in 270 and 300 WSM......absolutely no complaints. wouldn't hesitate to recommend them....

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the long action 30-06 but the gun in the short action just handled better. In the end the 8400 300WSM just felt better to me, it balanced better in my hands. It feeds fine, I am working up some loads, I may wind up sending it to Hill Country rifles for another $495 but I like the rifle. So it is my new 30-06 but just a bit faster and fatter round.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
My one experience with Kimber was a disaster. I ordered a 8400 in a .270 Winchester when they first came out. When the rifle arrived the wood to metal fit was the absolute worst I have ever seen on any rifle. The barrel almost came completely out of the channel before it came to the end. Wood rubbed against one side of the barrel and had a huge gap on the other side. The action had the same problems. I called Kimber and told them about it and they sent a "call tag" and UPS picked the rifle up about a week later. When I got the rifle back a few weeks later it had a new piece of wood on it that was nicer than the one it came with but they put a dig in the buttstock area and scratched the muzzle. Needless to say, I was pissed off and disgusted by the whole thing and the idea of owning a Kimber had lost it's charm. I sold the rifle on the classified board (full discloser) and moved on. The new owner say's it shoots .5's on a regular basis and he's happy with it.

I will never buy another one. The quality isn't there.

Terry

that is more in line w/ what i have seen in the kimbers.
i went through 3 of them to try and get one that had decent fit and finish and would shoot better than 1.5" groups till i gave up and stuck w/ my steyrs.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hearing complaints about wood being warped is rediculous. If it was a stable substance everyone would have wood. No matter which company you buy from, there will be wood stocks that warp!!! It happens, get over it. Whenever a wood stock goes through humidity and temperature changes there is the possibility of warpage.

My 84M in 308 shoots sub 1/2 MOA with handloads. You can expect the same quality with all Kimber's guns, regardless of which action it is.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AaroninUtah:
Hearing complaints about wood being warped is rediculous. If it was a stable substance everyone would have wood. No matter which company you buy from, there will be wood stocks that warp!!! It happens, get over it. Whenever a wood stock goes through humidity and temperature changes there is the possibility of warpage.

My 84M in 308 shoots sub 1/2 MOA with handloads. You can expect the same quality with all Kimber's guns, regardless of which action it is.

Aaron

BULLSHIT bsflag

If you knew a damn thing about a wood stocked rifle you would know better than to make such a stupid statment. This stock warped because the idiots used uncured wood! I spent a $1000.00 on this rifle and I should get over it? Shotty materials and workmanship, that's what the name Kimber means to me. You need to get a clue and keep your mouth shut when you don't know what you're talking about.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked in the billiard industry. Pool cues by high end companies that were cured in climate controlled rooms for long periods of time, turned down in stages would warp when subjected to extreme temperatures and humidity changes. Wood is not synthetic and is subject to shifts and changes. Not all wood stocks do, but don't be surprised when one does. You live in MS and the rifle came from NY; sounds like a drastic change in humidity.

You think Remington, Winchester, custom gun makers (insert anyones name here) have never had a warped stock? You think the popularity of synthetic stocked guns grew because they look better or feel better than wood? They gained popularity because they are more stable than wood. (They are cheaper now, but they weren't at the beginning.)

You have a right to be upset over poor treatment (which you didn't complain about), dents in the stock sent back to you and scratches on the muzzle but being upset when a wood stock warps is a bit unrational.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Nope, you're wrong again. I know this is beyond your scope of understanding but the stock was turned on green wood and warped. It's as simple as that. Humidity nor the trip to Mississippi had a thing to do with it. This is shotty workmanship on Kimbers part, plain and simple. I don't care about other brands, I didn't buy one of those, I bought a Kimber which turned out to be shit. This was completely avoidable by Kimber and if you knew much about wood stocks you would know that. I have a safe full of wood stocked rifles that'll go anywhere on this planet and not move enough to see with the naked eye. Properly built wood stocks just don't do that. Again, if you knew much about wood stocks you would know that too. A properly built stock isn't nearly as unstable as you think. Ever hear of a company called Copper? It's ashamed the hunting public has become so ignorant about nice rifles. Maybe it's just you.

Irrational? I'll tell you what, when you start buying my rifles your worthless opinions will be considered.

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on boys, calm down. I've owned just a few Kimbers, have 2 now. Kimbers quality has been very spotty. The older .270 I had would not shoot anything, but sure looked nice. . . Sold it. The 2 I have now both had feeding problems. I fixed that, but 2 of my hunting buddies each bought them and both had the same problems. When I called Kimber the lady that took my call was rude as hell. You could tell she was tired of getting complaints from everyone. I will say that after some tweeking, I would not trade my Kimbers for anything, but 4 of the shops here in my area refuses to sell them because of all the problems. I would definately look the rifle over before forking out the cash to be sure you are getting a good one. I wish Kimber would get their quality under control, as I want a .338, but am waiting for awhile to see what happens with them. Now. . . shake hands, wer'e all on the same team. Good shootin' banana

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote