New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magazine lips?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure what they are called, but talking about the special indentations in a rifle's magazine that would keep the rounds from jumping forward and banging the bullet tips with recoil.

Are those lips present in all rifles with a detachable magazine from major makers? How about rifles with hinged floors and Mauser design rifle? Do these have a similar system to resist recoil movement or not?

Looking for any information on this subject. Thank you.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read several studies about the effect of the bullet tip being battered during recoil. IIRC, the distortions had no significant effect on the accuracy of the round as long as the distortion was forward of the ogive. One writer went so far as to use pliars to alter the nose of the bullet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thank you!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, some rifles have them acroos the board, and others have them in some chamberings and not others. The original Mauser '98 didn't have creases in the mag wall, but the '96 Carl Gustav I had did. My CZ 550 Safari mag in 505, 404 and 416 have creased mags, the same rifles in 458WM/458 Lott do not.

Cheers.
wave

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote