New
Find
Notify
Tools

300/338 Ultra Mag
 Login/Join

<mod 12>
posted
I haven't paid too much attention to these rounds and just came accross a box of empty 300's and was impressed with the size of the cartridge. What is the parent cartridge for this ammo?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your looking at it. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
The .404 Jeffries was the parent cartridge. The Ultras are, of course, much modified from the original.

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
I had to change my 338 RUM unfortunaly. It was impossible to find any reloading tools in Sweden at the time and paying 4 $ a round was little to much. But it sure was impressive thing to shot. I used the Remington load with 250 grains Swift A-frame, looked like a nuclear bomb cloud when it expended.

With 3 inch over on 100 yards i had it right on at 200 and 4 inch under at 300.

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in on the 338 RUM list. I have a Sendero, the only one I have seen, I know they made more I just haven't seen them, anyhow it is amazingly accurate!!! This is a REAL BIG STICK! I have not loaded any 180 Nosler BT's yet but the 200 grain BT's shoot l 1/2" at 200 yds. The first box of factory 250 Swifts, a friend and I bought, Shot under 2" in his SS composite and my Sendero. I have nothing to say but good about the cartridge and gun, yes there is recoil but there is with a 338/378 and a 340 Weatherby. Don't shoot them if you don't like them or load them down and enjoy it like I do.

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, failed to mention that 2" group with the 250 Swifts, was 200 yards, yea it surprised us too. "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote