New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dual Pillar Bedding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In my quest for an accurate .308 hunting rifle, I came upon some info from Savage, who claim the secret to their accuracy is "dual pillar bedding". Does anyone know what that means?

And if it makes rifles so accurate, then why don't all manufacturers do it?

Any info appreciated - thx!

Hunter308

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pillar bedding simply means that the action screws pass through metal tubes (usually brass) in the stock. The action then rides on stable metal pieces rather than soft wood or plastic. (And the plastic stocks Savage uses are godawful.)

IMO, pillar bedding is no more or less accurate than bedding blocks, glass bedding, or proper inletting by hand. It is, however, one of the cheapest ways of doing things, which is why Savage uses it.

As an aside, a number of Savages with plastic stocks contain pillars that don't actually make it to the bedding surface. IOW, the action just gets pulled down into the stock and the pillars are "decorative". Most of these shoot just fine.

"How do you know this to be true?" -- Finn Aagaard

Posts: 103 | Location: Orange County, CA. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason the others don't do it is that they have cheaper and nastier methods . Most don't offer any accuracy guarantee so if it won't shoot from the factory or hold it's zero - tough tits .
I have all my wood stocked rifles free floated and professionally bedded with both pillars and Devcon . It costs money but the zero doesn't shift . Worth every cent .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote