THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    6.5x55 accuracy Tikka T3 Hunter vs CZ 550 American

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 accuracy Tikka T3 Hunter vs CZ 550 American
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have played around with a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 for a few years and have come to appreciate the cartridge. While the Howa shoots acceptably well with bullets from 129 to 160 gr, it won't shoot the lighter bullets at all. Anyone have any experience with the Tikka T3 or the CZ 550 using lighter bullets? I still think the Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip at 2800 fps would be a great deer load. The closest I can come to it with any degree of accuracy in my Howa is the 129 gr Hornady at about 2600 fps. Appreciate any comments comparing the two options. (Don't think anyone else is chambering the 6.5x55, at least that offers it here in the USA)

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I have two Sako AVs in 6.5x55 and they shoot everything well between 120-140. I don't know what they will do with heavier or lighter pills because I have never shot any. It's my understanding that Tikka uses Sako barrels. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a tikka m65 lyx and it is super accrate. I shoot the 120 bt and the 156 oryx and these bullets is verry good at small gamesize deer.
I have never shoot whit the cz, but if you want a accurate and handy riffel the tikka gets my wote!
I have even taken a 54" kudubull at 220-230 whit the 156 oryx and it just went down! just love the 6,5*55, it can do enything whit a good placed shoot, becouse of the long projektile!

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
My Tikka M65 DeLuxe .270 win shoots almost anything within an inch at 100 meters, and anything with Sierra bullets within 1/2 an inch.

Or.. Maybe not that good but at least its normal to cover three shots with one piece of tape (whats it called?) if i use Sierra bullets.

I believe the T3 is as good or better than this old gun.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ shoots pretty good. I loaded the 120 BT a bit hotter than you are talking - just over 3000 for Antelope. Shoots three shot groups in the .75" range without any real work up on load. I had two powders, loaded a couple of loads in each, and went with the more consistent. I personally don't care for the feel of the Tikka, but that is personal preference. Both are nice rifles. FWIW, I made an easy one shot stop on a doe Antelope this year. I also load the 129 Hornady to 2900, and it is my main load until/if I find something berrer.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a tikka 6.5x55 T3 hunter....it soots norma 156gr oryx and vulkans to 3/4" at 100 yrds. and 140gr.nosler partitions pushed to 2850 fps at 1" at 100 yards.....never tried anything lighter and probably won't....regards bearit......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have played around with a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 for a few years and have come to appreciate the cartridge. While the Howa shoots acceptably well with bullets from 129 to 160 gr, it won't shoot the lighter bullets at all. Anyone have any experience with the Tikka T3 or the CZ 550 using lighter bullets? I still think the Nosler 120 gr Ballistic Tip at 2800 fps would be a great deer load. The closest I can come to it with any degree of accuracy in my Howa is the 129 gr Hornady at about 2600 fps. Appreciate any comments comparing the two options. (Don't think anyone else is chambering the 6.5x55, at least that offers it here in the USA)

i have heard bad rumours of howa 6.5x55.
the reason the norwegian importer stopped importing howa rifles in 6.5, i think was accuracy/stabilzing issues.
a 6.5 who doesn't shoot 130gr or below, isn't much of a 6.5

in my country the 6.5 is the 2nd or 3rd most popular cartridge, but i've never heard of problems with stabilizing 100-120gr bullets.

if your budget allows it, sako, sauer, blaser and others also chambers 6.5x55

(hope i didn't offend you with my direct statements).

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the Lapula 155 gr Mega tip bullets.I shot 3/8" groups with it in my 264 win mag.They kill stuff in their tracks.I got two pronghorns at 350 yards hit liever seen any.ke a mack truck didnt tear up or ruin much meat..Then I shot a hudge 8 pointer at 15 yards.It still worked very well got him in his tracks.I like this bullet.It hard to find them but well worth it.Its factory loaded by Lapula in the 6.5x55 but i have n

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I kind of prefer the more traditional appearance of the CZ, but feel more confident regarding the accuracy of the Tikka. There are also political ramifications: my wife is a Finn, her parents emigrated to the US a little over 50 years ago. I am quite sure she would have no objections to me buying a "made in Suomiland" rifle. She has no relatives in Czechoslavakia, so the CZ would probably be a tougher sell....

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ550FS (full stock) in 6.5x55 and it's sub-MOA with my handloads using 140gr Hornady SPs. I can't remark on lighter bullets in that rifle because the 140gr load shoots so good and works so well.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako AV in 6.5X55. With handloads it will shoot 120 BT or 120 TSX into 1/2" all day. 140 partions about the same. I also have a Steyr in 6.5X57 that is as accurate or better with the same bullets. Don't have a CZ, but have not heard anything bad about them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had any problem shooting sub MOA with 120 139 140 155 in 6.5X55. Two Sako's and a Tikka

Except for the synthetic stock on the Tikka and nice wood on the Sako's I can't tell the difference shooting either one . 139 140 group averages .5" 15 shots 3 groups of 5 if I do my part . I even have an old military swede that shoots .75" - 1.25" all day long . it's not a re worked one either it's bone stock .
All are done with hand loads of course .

I have a question for my distant cousins In Norway , Finland & Sweden . I have some what appear to be silver or nickeled although I believe they are silver plated 156 Grain .284 " 7 MM projectiles . Do any of you know who or where these may have come from ?.

I got them in a lot sale MANY years ago along with K's of other various projectiles and cases of several calibers .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target. ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
2nd timer, I like Howa rifles quality, but that said, their throating has always been their achilles heel from what I have experienced and read, they twist those guns 9" which is ok with up to 130's or so, but the problem I believe is that your lighter bullets are not liking the throating. That said, some '96 mausers will do well even with 85's, and 100's -yes long throated, but may be different leade, angle, etc, don't know.

CZ have a great reputation, and in x55 also, twist I believe was 8.6, should shoot most all bullets w/o problems related to twist.

Good luck. Oh, Tikka and Sako, use the standard 8 twist. Hard not to start with them....all else equal.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr K, Most probably cupronickel jackets.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CZ has some very attractive lines, a very classy looking rifle but I have no experience with it. Tikka T3 however, in 6.5x55mm is deadly accurate and I've tried:

120gr. Ballistic Tip
120gr. TSX
125gr. Partition
129gr. Interlock
140gr. SST
140gr. Partition
156gr. Vulkan
160gr. Interlock

And I had great success with all of them in terms of accuracy. I'm really impressed with the 129gr. Interlock deerslayer (never tried the same weight SST) and the 156gr. Vulkan (my go-to black bear round over bait).

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr K, Most probably cupronickel jackets.

Well at first that's what I thought also . They are definitively Sliver coated and not electroplated either .

I stepped into my lab a few hours ago and tested them . I also cut one length wise Interesting core construction . Appx. 1/3 the way down there is a hollow , I'm assuming it's for expansion control or mushrooming while retaining maximum weight .

Do they have WereWolves in Europe ?.
By the way these are NOT hand made if they are It's the best job I've ever seen for homemade .

I'm only guessing as to the age but I know their over 40 years old for certain .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Real silver ?? Strange ! Could you post a photo of the sectioned bullet ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ makes good barrels and the CZ550FS in 6.5x55 Swedish makes a great scout rifle.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
between the Tikka nd the CZ i prefer the Steyr.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Steyr Scout in .308 Winchester

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote