THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    T/C Encore hangar bar...any value?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T/C Encore hangar bar...any value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently aquired a T/C custom shop 257 Roberts barrel that was hardly used. Read on other forums that 1 MOA might be all that is possible from such a rig with proper handloads. This doesn't sound that great for a "custom" barrel, I guess I am spoiled with my match guns.

Wondering if there is any merit to the "hanger bar" system that Bullberry offers? How does it work exactly? They say they can install such a system onto a factory barrel.

Any other tricks to "squeeze" accuracy from a break open?

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the hangar bar system. I will say that my friend's TC shoots very well. (His .223 barrel shoots 1/2 inch 5 shot groups without fuss and his 300 Win Mag is an inch or better.)

Try several ammo types from the bench with the rest far back under the forearm and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck with it,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The hangar bar basically free floats the barrel. You must have a forearm that is inletted for the hangar bar. Several other tricks to bring out accuracy is a Bellm oversize hinge pin to make the whole thing lock up tighter. What Dan H said about placing the bags back near the action when shooting off the bench is a must. Some trigger work also helps in the accuracy department. Most of my barrels will shoot sub-minute groups when I do my part. Do not get discouraged when groups are not what you expect at first. Part of the fun is fiddling with until you do get it to shoot to your satisfaction. Enjoy.

Posts: 48 | Location: Henderson, Nv. | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned multiple encore barrels. The worst one was a 1" barrel. I then set it up for the hanger bar and all of a sudden I had a 1/2" 30-06 pistol. My 15" 308 Win barrel was only used with the hanger bar and it easily shot 1/2" but was always around 1.1" -1.25" at 200 (6x scope though). If it is a custom barrel, it should shoot 1/2" with out mcuh fuss at all. A flexible nylon washer or rubber o-rings between the barrel and fore arm (where the bolts got through) will also help if you are still trying to decide on the hanger bar.

Just noticed you said a T/C custom shop barrel. It is not a custom barrel in the way most are thinking. It is not made by Shilen or someone like that. It is just made to different specs than what the factory mass produces. The barrel itself is still the same, just the length, taper, finish, caliber or whatever else is different than what is typically offered by the factory. That does not mean it won't shoot, it just means it most likely won't shoot as good as your match barrels.

The group below was the first group I shot with my custom 6.5-284 barrel, it is a pistol as well. Keep in mind all of these were shot with pistols and most with only a 6x scope.

Typical 100 yard group with the 308.

5 shot 100 yard group.

10 shot 100 yard group.