New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this world coming to
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve been to two gun shops this year, looking at rifles. One, is in Wyoming. A few years back they said the 30-06 was the best seller. Now it seems as if the 6.5 Creedmore is outdoing it.

I went to Sportsman’s in Northern Utah and was told everyone (or a lot of people) were buying the 6.5. They had an 06 on clearance at a price that I thought was very cheap.

The salesman said “we hardly sell any 30-06’s anymore”. Although I’d shoot a .300 WIN, I love the 06 and my son shoots an 06 (I still have used it on hunts).

I realize the creedmore is probably great. However, it’s hard to believ3 that the 06 is losing popularity (maybe I’m off base)??

Posts: 2642 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it will be at or near the top for a long time.

Posts: 605 | Location: OR | Registered: 28 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take advantage of the insanity. Buy the 30-06 deals while you can.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have never been a fan of the .30-06, but it will still be killing game when all of the new stuff will be long forgotten!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It's just the current fad, I'm a long time 6.5 shooter but in 5 years you'll get to buy those 6.5 Creedmoor rifles for cheap. The good thing about it will be that they'll only have about 200 rounds through them and every shot will have been on a range.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
Take advantage of the insanity. Buy the 30-06 deals while you can.

I agree. It was a browning (can’t remember the model) and it was $399.00.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I don't often hunt deer. But, when I do I prefer O-sixes.
OK. And 7X57's and .280's too.

BTW. My 6.5 Creedmoor Mauser 98 sits in the safe.

QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason P:
I’ve been to two gun shops this year, looking at rifles. One, is in Wyoming. A few years back they said the 30-06 was the best seller. Now it seems as if the 6.5 Creedmoor is outdoing it.

I went to Sportsman’s in Northern Utah and was told everyone (or a lot of people) were buying the 6.5. They had an 06 on clearance at a price that I thought was very cheap.

The salesman said “we hardly sell any 30-06’s anymore”. Although I’d shoot a .300 WIN, I love the 06 and my son shoots an 06 (I still have used it on hunts).

I realize the creedmore is probably great. However, it’s hard to believ3 that the 06 is losing popularity (maybe I’m off base)??[/QUOTE]

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5124 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
I don't often hunt deer. But, when I do I prefer O-sixes.
OK. And 7X57's and .280's too.

BTW. My 6.5 Creedmoor Mauser 98 sits in the safe.

I really like the .280!

QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason P:
I’ve been to two gun shops this year, looking at rifles. One, is in Wyoming. A few years back they said the 30-06 was the best seller. Now it seems as if the 6.5 Creedmoor is outdoing it.

I realize the creedmore is probably great. However, it’s hard to believ3 that the 06 is losing popularity (maybe I’m off base)??
[/QUOTE]

Administrator
posted Hide Post
These fads are encouraged by the manufacturers.

A while back I had a friend come here and asked me to build him a 300 BLACKOUT.

I had to persuade him out of it, because brass is difficult to get.

In our discussion, I mentioned that I can make a 30/223, which for all intents and purposes would be the same, but brass is easier to get.

He said no, he wanted a Blackout.

I built him.

Then decided to build a new wildcat, a 30/223, for myself on a Sako action.

I did, and it shot great.

I can shoot mine any time, he is still trying to get ammo for his! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67089 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is all on in Australia. Our biggest guns/hunting forum has heaps of stuff about the.

It is the new "less is more" theory.

If the Australian guns forum is any guide then I am expecting blokes with a 6.5/300 Wby to go to the 6.5 Creedmoor so as to get more velocity. Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did have a 6.5x55 in the house for a while.

It is gone but I still have 4 06's.

I might get another 6.5 if the right free market deal comes along.

Posts: 19403 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the 6.5 is a great “little” cartridge, in time the “sparkle” will tarnish!

The 30-06, is much like the .375 H&H, new replacements come and go....but they are still around and going strong! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

Posts: 245 | Location: Winchester,Wyoming USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I am feeling better that AR members know what they are talking about!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As my Dad used to say, 'This too shall pass.'
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You guys are all behind the times. Don't you know the next big thing is the 6.5PRC?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmoor is darn near a .260 Remington.

Got some Zombie ammo for your Creedmoor? Better stock up. Hah!

Posts: 5124 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to think of it as the 6.5 IDGAF.

Posts: 542 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I have never been a fan of the .30-06, but it will still be killing game when all of the new stuff will be long forgotten!

Along with 30-30s.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14399 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
.......and the way under-powered chick caliber .243 Winchester.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I own two 6.5 CM rifles

Its a joy to shoot and a 120 grn bullet at 3k with almost no recoil?

I'm all over that!!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I own two 6.5 CM rifles

Its a joy to shoot and a 120 grn bullet at 3k with almost no recoil?

I'm all over that!!!!

I'd actually like to shoot one. I have heard they are great to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
It's just the current fad, I'm a long time 6.5 shooter but in 5 years you'll get to buy those 6.5 Creedmoor rifles for cheap. The good thing about it will be that they'll only have about 200 rounds through them and every shot will have been on a range.

Yep, not so long ago everything was all about short Mags. Now some of them cant be given away. I didnt care about that fad either. I am loving my new 280 Rem though. It wont be too long before the creedmore will loose its luster and manufacturers will have to re-invent the wheel again for the thousandth time.

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not to nitpick, one guy is not the gospel.
Out of curiosity, I'd like to hear what the O.P.'s salesperson says about a .270 Win. Not to misdirect, just that it's closer to a 6.5 Creedmoor than an '06 in the long range class.
So, big apples to slightly smaller apples in comparison?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is the Creedmoor is a great little caliber extremely well suited to deer sized game...the fact it was swept up into the PRS circles and then bandied about by every tacticool wannabe and claimed to perform amazing feats at any distance you can see has imo tarnished a good round.

I just built one a few weeks ago for my daughter on a lh Rem 700 action, a #2 contour shilen barrel cut to 22 1/2" and bedded in a nice take-off wood stock. It will be a great rifle for her. I use a 25-284 for most my deer hunting.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Not to nitpick, one guy is not the gospel.
Out of curiosity, I'd like to hear what the O.P.'s salesperson says about a .270 Win. Not to misdirect, just that it's closer to a 6.5 Creedmoor than an '06 in the long range class.
So, big apples to slightly smaller apples in comparison?

The salesman was neutral in what he liked and disliked. Also, I did not ask his opinion as I was mainly shopping for something else.

In reality there will always be a debate in caliber selection and choice. There are so many that are so close, that I do not believe there is a big of a difference to the animal- as most would believe. I have a lot of different calibers and will most likely own a 6.5 in the future. When I am hunting deer or elk, I will use the 06 or the .300. However, to each his own....

I am just surprised that so few like the 06.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I load 06 because I own a Garand. It's not going out of style anytime soon, but you can't shoot factory loads. (or anything hot...)

Hunting- .270 or 9.3 x 62.

I think the 6.5 Creed lives up to the hype, but to each his own..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old The Creed offers nothing that didn't exist before in the 6.5 Arasaka, 6.5x54, 6.5 Daudeteau, 6.5x53R,6.5X54, 6.5 Portuguese,6.5 Carcano, 256 Gibbs Magnum,26 BSA,.264 Mag.6.5x47, 6.5X.285, and the .260.
Roll Eyes I've been shooting 6.5 since 1956 and the only thing that I see about the Creedmore is the successful group hysteria that marketing has achieved.
tu2 One positive thing is that brass will probably be available for some time.
thumbdownBrass for the 250-3000 and .257 Roberts and some others will be harder to come by because of the attention the Creedmore will steal from these fine cartridges.
patriotAs I see it the Creedmore does give us another toy to play with and a boost to a deteriorating manufacturing American shooter's market CRYBABYroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
old The Creed offers nothing that didn't exist before in the 6.5 Arasaka, 6.5x54, 6.5 Daudeteau, 6.5x53R,6.5X54, 6.5 Portuguese,6.5 Carcano, 256 Gibbs Magnum,26 BSA,.264 Mag.6.5x47, 6.5X.285, and the .260.

Hey you missed the best one of them all; the 6.5x55 Swede! Big Grin. rotflmo

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2798 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
6.5x55

The new whoozzbang cartridge from 1894.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
quote:
6.5x55

The new whoozzbang cartridge from 1894.

What will the 6.5 CM do that the 6.5 X 55 won't?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What will the 6.5 CM do that the 6.5 X 55 won't? Fit nicely in a short action, other than that, not much difference. The Creedmore is reminiscent of the 250 Savage, just a pleasant little cartridge.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hogfarmer:
What will the 6.5 CM do that the 6.5 X 55 won't? Fit nicely in a short action, other than that, not much difference. The Creedmore is reminiscent of the 250 Savage, just a pleasant little cartridge.

You mean a "too short" action like the M700?

They only make the M700 in 2 lengths. Too short (2.88") and magnum length (3.75")

An intermediate length LR M98 is the perfect length for the 6.5 X 55..(3.235")and makes a nice handy rifle.

I have a Belgian made 1934 Mexican Mauser action that will probably end u as a 6.5 X 55.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps the world has discovered you don't really need a 30-06 or some bigger whiz bang magnum to kill a deer with

Nah, I do not believe this. I believe it is just a trend that has caught on and many are following it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 30-06 will efficiently kill anything I want to hunt in North America or Africa. I will admit to killing a deer with my .577 BPE.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That always happens with a new cartridges and dollars spent on lies and half truths!! The 264, the 8mm magnums, and a host of others kicked the ole 06 down, sometimes for a year then the old girl surfaced as the newbies got smarter..The creedmore is the newbies 250-3000 that's about it but like the 243 being declared the doom of the 250 Savage, the old 250 keeps hanging on, while the other perish, there ammo disappears of the shelves and the factories drop the new wizard in the dirt like the 6mm, 5mm, .244, and others to come..The big boys keep gambling on a new one that makes millions, and the creed more is likely to be one, but you never know for a number of years, the only one that really caught on and it was very slow, and not a 90 day wonder was the .338 while its brother the 264 quickly died on the vine.

Every one of these new fantastic claimed to be the next level of caliber, sold like hotcakes at a morman sunday social, the quickly died on the vine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41902 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old I'm at the Angeles range twice or three times a month. I see more 6.5 x55s than I do Creedmores. Because of the military affiliations the .223, .308 and 7.62x39 each are 50 X more popular than the Creedmore.
WinkHowever, I have been a 6.5 advocate since I was given a Carcano Carbine that a fella brought back from Europe after WWII; almost new, droped only once. I sporterized it and successfully hunted with it since about 1956.
homerThe number of cartridge and powder choices has exceeded any reasonable need and has incurred ever increasing component and cartridge
prices . We are also suffering from case availability in what once was considered standard rifle cartridges ergo 6mm Rem (.244),, 7X57, .280,250-3000,.257 Roberts, .300 Savage, .303 Savage, .35 Rem. and the .35 Wehlen.
flameKinda reminds me of the Pide Piper and lemmings. Confused roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm all for any cartridge, old or new, that generates enthusiasm and pumps money into the firearms industry.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Walmart clearanced their Weatherby Vanguards. I bought a synthetic/blued 30-06 for $273 out the door. Put a 3.5-10 VX3i in talley mounts on it. Shoots Federal 165 SGKs into roughly 3/4". Not bad for a $600 rig. I purposed it as a truck gun. As much as I love the gun, it has no real sentimental value to me so I wouldn't be too concerned over losing it.

But it is crazy to go into a Walmart and see 2-3 variants of 30-06 and 10 of 6.5.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its the craze..How long will it last is anybodys guess. only time will tell.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41902 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There are no "bad" cartridges, but as Ray pointed out every new one gets a boost from the press and only the most versatile and exceptional ones hang on for long. Those that are eventually adopted by our military usually enjoy a long and fruitful life.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote