THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Kahles 1.5-6, 2-7AH. How are they holding up?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kahles 1.5-6, 2-7AH. How are they holding up?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I like the large fields of view these scopes advertise. Much bigger than comparable brands, but how are they holding up in use. I need something to put on a 6 lb 338 shooting heavy bullets.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one on my Whelen for over a year now. It's been to Africa, bounced in donkey carts, ox carts, and LCs there, on bush planes in AK, and had several hundred rounds put out under it with no problems. Yeah, I like it.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need something to put on a 6 lb 338 shooting heavy bullets.

Not a good idea due to the short eye relief of the AH 2-7.

I got one a year ago in an attempt to find a upgrade to the Leupold line. I like the smaller scopes for some big game rifles and I had discovered that Leu. is not the be all end all of scopes after using 3-9 Conquests.

If you use the lens covers that come with the Kahles they will hit your face or glasses with even a 260 Rem. Yes the field of view is very good but one can improve that by just turning the power down a little on some variables.

Then there is the price of the Kahles. Last year I paid $455 for the 2-7 but now they are a hundred more. I don't rate the scope any better than a Leu VX2 and that costs about half of the Austrian product.

As of late I have been using the AH 2-7 quite a bit on a 7mm WSM M70. The rifle had always shot very well and the Kahles is not hurting it's accruracy at all.

My next move has been to get a new Leu VX3 2.5-8 and it's not that good optics wise. It's still sitting in a drawer after two months with no rifle that wants it. I need to switch a scope off of a rimfire however so it's going onto some woods rifle.

I think I will put the Kahles on a Brno 22f that's due here soon. The Euro theme will work there.

Get a Leu VX2 2-7 or a 3-9 Conquest depending on how much size and weight you can stand on the 338.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you can find one, try a Fujinon Scope. You will be pleasantly surprised!

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I have two of the 2 x 7 Kahles. One's on a 9.3x62 that has been to Africa twice. The other is on a 6.5x55 that's been to Africa once. Bounced all over, scratched tube and even a small dent in one and still hold true to point of aim with no problems on both rifles.

They are right about eye relief on heavy recoiling guns, its a bit limited.

These are the best low light scopes I have ever used and some game in Africa was taken at dusk with no problems sighting on the animals.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cactustactical.com/valdada/4x32hunt.html

I bought a Valdada fixed 4x hunting scope from cactus tactical. I have it on a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. Plenty of eye relief (4"?), extremely bright, and fantastic edge to edge resolution. I got the 7A reticle. It's not a "duplex" reticle. The thick posts are rectangular, not pointed. I love it. Matte finish. Finger turn click knob adjustments. Made of steel. Not a lot of money-~ $230.

May want to consider one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read the specs on the eye relief of the Valdada 4x. It states it is 3.15". Without out digging out my rifle, I'd say 3.15" is lower than what I'd expect. In real life terms, I feel I have about as much or more eye relief with this scope than with my Nikon 3-9x, Burris 6x Signature, 3x Leupold, 2.5 Lyman AA. The 9.3x62 with 286g bullets didn't give me any concern of "scope eye" with this scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've a Kahles 1.1-4 on a 458 Lott. It hasn't broken yet which is saying something.
I have 2 Kahles 2-7's, both are on 308 win, Steyr Scouts. I've not got eyebrowed yet but a 308 isn't the heaviest of kickers even in a light scout.
On my 376 Scout I've been using a Leupold 1.75x6 and it hasn't broken yet or hit me in the eyebrow so it might be another option to consider. The Kahles are all better optically though.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How are Kahles scopes holding up? Confused

Huh? Like it is some new kid on the block? maybe ????

Actually they hold up just fine ! like since 1900 in fact. Being credited as one of the oldest Euro Scope makers they have been and are still making of the worlds best scopes !

What America needs to wake up to though is the benifit of 30 mm scope tubes, way brighter and far sturdier than 1 inch tubes and then the integral rails built into the tubes. Superior !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kahles 2-7x36 American Riflescope $558.95. This is a price in US dollars from the net. I just don't think a Kahles is worth it here. On top of being double a VX11 in price the warrantee is not transferable!

As to 30 mm tubes on a hunting scope I am not going to go there.

I have a Kahles and wish I did not.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dealer has been pushing me toward Kahles but I don't see that they are a quantum leap ahead of the Leupold VariX III's I have been using. I don't have enough experience with Kahles to say that they are or aren't superior, just haven't been able to justify the price difference.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 896 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote