Notify
Tools

Pre 64 300 H&H Value
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Folks,

I have a line on a Model 70 Pre-64 in 300 H&H, non target barrel, 1958 manufacture. I haven't seen the rifle yet but it is said to be in very good shape. It does have a 'small' about of engraving on the barrel and bolt handle.

The guy want's (U.S.) $1100.00 for it. He's about an hour drive from me.

I've been wanting a 300 H&H to go with my 1948 .375 H&H. Is $1100 a fair price and low enough to make the drive and make an offer?

Thanks!!

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I suggest picking up a GunList and double checking , but my thoughts are yes the gun is most likely worth the $1100, probably more if its in very good condition.

There are usually several pre-64's advertised in the gunlist for comparison.

<Don Martin29>
posted
I bought a .300 H&H last winter. It's a 1962 vintage M70 and it's in very good condition with the only non stock item being a recoil pad (that fits me just right).

I paid $700 and got RCBS dies and over a $100 worth of premium ammo and cases with it also included in the price.

But that 1955 one may be finer. I don't think it could shoot better.

The engraving may be of interest to you if well done. If not it may detract.

Make him an offer. What's a short ride to see a rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on a few factors. Are you going to keep it? Or could you sell or trade it off down the road?

Here in Central Montana I see pre 64 .300 H&H's several times per year. Some mint, unmolested and others poor shape, cut stocks, etc. I see very few under $850 no matter how molested or worn. Probably the average price for a 80-85% wood and metal gun, even if a pad has been added is $1150 to $1300. And the shops GET that price too.

My only concern would be the engraving. Even if well done its an excuse for the next buyer to call foul as he wants a stock rifle. A cut stock with a pad added, different sights, engraving, non stock trigger,etc. Will generally all lower prices, despite the fact that the modification may make the rifle better or more useable. At least thats the deal out here.

I have a circa 1952 .300 H&H as well as a deadly accurate older Sako with a Hart barrel. I love both of them. A 180 grain .308" bullet at 3000 fps ain't nothing to sneeze at for big game.

Brass is readily available, easy to load for, I'd buy it.

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve...
A bit off topic as well, but US$ 1100 is what we pay for a plane Jane out of the box Rem 700 here in my neighborhood [Mad]

If I had such a chance to get my hands on a pre 64 Model 70 in a classic calibre as the 300 H&H, for that price, I would have jumped at it !!

You gays on your side of the pond, are spoiled regarding prices on guns [Big Grin] .

Good luck on the deal anyway, hope it is in good shape, and a good shooter.

Regards

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your guidence. But I've decided to hold off right now. It's not because the rifle is not a decent buy. It probably is.

I want to hold off on getting the .300 H&H until I find a 'Transition' model 70. It's more of a match to my .375.

Additionaly I'm trying to save for a buffalo hunt in Africa next year and I'm trying to save for a double rifle one day.

Thanks for all the help!!

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arild:
Steve...

You gays on your side of the pond, are spoiled regarding prices on guns [Big Grin] .

Regards

Now see. Another case of the Europeans bashing us Americans. [Big Grin]

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote