Find
Notify
Tools

tickled pink
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted
I am so happy I just had to share. I've been thinking aobut a 30-06 for some time and having trouble deciding on what to get. Went to a sporting goods store this morning that has really good prices, better than wal-mart and online prices, but they only get what they get. In other words if you want a 280 rem bdl you have to keep calling and going back to see if they have one. They don't special order anything.

I left still undcided and stopped at the local saddle shop which is also my FFL guy. After BSing for an hour and looking at some of what he had I see one in the rack way off to the side with the 22s. I asked what it was. He says a 30-06 ADL with a (cheap) simmons 4-12x40 deerfield scope. Wood is 90%, bluing about 95%, bore looks new. It was clean and lightly oiled, very well taken care of. It was marked $259. I said write it up. He discounted it without me asking......$260 out the door! I think I did good. I had a nice afternoon shooting it.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It might turn out to be a collector's item as, I think, they stopped making the ADL.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Why would they stop making the ADL? ADL's remind me of 870 Express shotguns. Excellent guns that work, and they are cheap.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Not sure why but they did. It's now called the SPS. They also stopped making the BDL stainless. It's called the XCR

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, if you read the blurb at the Rem website describing the SPS, they say something along the lines of" carrying on the tradition of the ADL" or something to that effect. I do not remember if they changed the action in any way. If they didn't then all it is is an "ADL" with a synthetic stock with rubber moulding in certain spots. It still does not have a hinged floorplate either.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad price on that used weapon by the way.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You did OK, now dump that scope and buy a good Leupold, find a used one, the guarentee is still good, so not any risk involved...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You stole that one. The action alone is worth more than what you paid for the whole thing. Ya done good, boy.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
OldCane,

Congrads on the new rifle!

You got a good deal. Man if she's a shooter that'll just be the icing on the cake.

I agree w/ Ray, if you are going to use it for some serious hunting, I'd put that scope on a good 22 or small bore centerfire and invest in a good scope. Heck, you could get a new 3-9 Bushnell 3200 or Nikon BMs for less than 170 and Have a hunting rifle that would last a lifetime

Reloader.

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. The scope and see though rings are sold. I already had a Leupold 4x on order to be waiting when I got a good deal on a 30 cal. Put about 40 rounds through it so far. Averaging 1.2 or 1.3" at 100 yards with Rem factory 150g CLs. Good shooting for me but I think I will work up some loads and see how it does before I free float the barrel. It touches all the way down the stock. I think I should be able to get it under 1".

I have always gotten better accuracy with 180g bullets in 30-06 in a Savage and a M70 I have. Anybody else notice the same thing?

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Cane,

Now you're cooking!! A good basic rifle with a good quality, basic scope. If the truth be known, a good .30-06 with a 4x scope is all that most of us would probably ever really need for the majority of our big game hunting. But don't tell anyone as then we wouldn't have any excuses to buy all those different rifles chambered for different cartridges. I won't tell if you won't! Big Grin

BTW: Have you read the book One Man, One Rifle, One Land by J.Y. Jones? You'd probably enjoy it. It's available from Safari Press.

"Over 25 years ago, J. Y. Jones started his North American big-game hunting career, which ultimately evolved into a quest to take all the huntable species and subspecies with the same .30-06 rifle. ... His stories include hunting for the grand slam of North American sheep, all five North American bears, all eight North American deer subspecies, all six caribou, three elk, four moose, the pronghorn, mountain goat, walrus, jaguar, and much more."
http://www.safaripress.com/1-57157-169-8.html

His rifle was a Remington Model 700 ADL in .30-06 with a walnut stock.

-Bob F. thumb

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Cane:
Thanks guys. The scope and see though rings are sold. I already had a Leupold 4x on order to be waiting when I got a good deal on a 30 cal. Put about 40 rounds through it so far. Averaging 1.2 or 1.3" at 100 yards with Rem factory 150g CLs. Good shooting for me but I think I will work up some loads and see how it does before I free float the barrel. It touches all the way down the stock. I think I should be able to get it under 1".

I have always gotten better accuracy with 180g bullets in 30-06 in a Savage and a M70 I have. Anybody else notice the same thing?

You're absolutely right. I've gotten to the point where I won't use any other weight with the 30-06.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Thanks, cobra.

And BF, I'll have to check into that one.