Find
Notify
Tools

How About a .338/284?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
I just had a revelation that this might be a cool round. Maybe even an Ackley Improved version? Thoughts, opinions, experiences please. Also reloading data if you have it. Thanks.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Why not just a 338WSM? Same length. More capacity.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Bob, you beat me to it!

BA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Ackley improved version of the 338/284 must mean you have some new micrometer and want to test if it can pick up a small change in dimensions [Big Grin]

I am with Bob and Brad on this one....338/300WSM.

The 300 WSM is a bit like the 284 in that there almost seems to be more interest in wildcats on the case than the factory round itself.

The 300 WSM case though has two big advantages over the 284.

Firstly, bolt actions are out there that are set up to feed the case.

Secondly it has a bigger case capacity than the 284.

The 284 is too small for the big bores for the trouble you have to go to. I would sooner put up with an action maybe 3/4" longer and have a 338/06 Improved.

For the small bores 6mm/06 is just easier and better than the 6mm/284.

If I was you I would just scrub the idea of 338/284 as a bad dream [Smile]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go for the 338/300wsm too! A short action 338 would be a great addition next to my 338 win. Maybe Winchester will see the need to make one. I would buy one!!!

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that one has already been tried way back around the dawn of time and is waiting to be dug up by some "gunthropologist" in a few million years. [Big Grin]

It was a good idea that got run over, buried, dug up, stomped to death, cremated and tossed to the winds of human whimsy and the 338 WinMag. I like my 338-06 and was shooting it this moring at a few squirrels that had a lapse of brain and got stupid. 225 Nosler Partitions at just over 2700 fps did a real good job. Maybe I was a little under gunned and should have grabbed my 375. Next time.

Want more than that, stick with a 338 mag or one of the short, fatties. More speed, more energy, more recoil, more money but not necessarily mo' betta'. Ohhh man, that outa fry some bacon. [Big Grin] [Razz]