Find
Notify
Tools

barrel replacement
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted
I have a Sako 75 in .300 Rem Ultra mag that is unfired (I inherited it). This much too much rifle for me and it was suggested I replace the barrel which means also the bolt. I'm not a firearms expert but it seems there really isn't any logical way to convert this rifle to, say, a .300 WSM or .300 Win Mag. Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas other than I've got my head where the sun doesn't shine? Further, I live in western Washington and do not know a single gunsmith qualified to offer help.

Thanks in advance for your input. (If this isn't the correct location for this post, also please advise.)

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You have at least a couple of alternatives. One is to get some setimates for conversions from local gunsmiths. A trip to the local rifle range could find the names and addresses of those for you.

A second alternative is to sell the rifle you inherited and buy one you want. You should be able to get enough cash from a nice, new, Sako in .300 UltraMag to pay for just about any other mass produced bolt action rifle you would want.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
Alberta, the rifle has been on consignment at a local gun shop for nine months, no bites. I'll check with someone else at my gun club as the individuals I have spoken with have no good suggestions. Your thoughts are very appreciated, thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps a bit off the wall, but I got the idea from the other thread in this sector, about the 300RUM. Why not rebarel it as a .404Jeffery? A bit different and much more pleasant than the current chambering...

my 2c

Finman

better have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it....

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
why not just load it down to .300 WM levels. A whole lot less expensive.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Definantly try more avenues to sell it, then buy a more suitable rifle.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't reload, remington offers "power level" ammunition that makes your rifle shoot and recoil like a 300 win mag or even a 30-06. Look it up and give it a try, or sell the rifle and buy a smaller caliber. There are lots of places on the internet where you can get better money and put your rifle in the eyes of alot more buyers. You could also take it to a gun show and look to trade it. Best of Luck!!!

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would be simple to rebarrel it to some less powerful caliber on any belted magnum or Ultra/WSM head (the rims are the same, requiring no alteration to the bolt).

However, the advice to sell offers a better alternative. There are three good routes to getting a quick and fair price for your rifle. First, take some good, clear digtital photos of it. You can then list it here on the AR Classifieds, or on the Sako Collector's website (recently moved to www.sakocollectors.com/forum). You can also list it (without reserve) on a gun auction like Gunbroker.com. A Sako in .300 Ultramag will have a bit limited, but very active market. You won't find it difficult to sell if you expose it to the wider market than just your local gunshop.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
why not just load it down to .300 WM levels. A whole lot less expensive.

A real option ..... for sure. I know a German who has been loading his .300 Win. Mag. at .30/06 Sprg. specs. for as long as I can remember - it works.

Stonie's advice above sage, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you reload you could get a 170 gr. flat nose bullet (30-30) and fill the case to the base of the bullet or very nearly so with Hodgdon's Trail Boss, and have a 30-30 equivalent load.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked up some loading data for the 300 rum and starting loads of H-4831 and H-4350 are at lower than .300 wm velocities. Lyman's handbook has cast bullet loads in it around 2200-2300 fps. The best thing to do IMHO is to take up reloading. I'll bet you can get set up cheaper than you can trade rifles.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bolt can be welded up and recut, then a new barrl and go with a 300 or 338 Win...but the smart thing to do is trade it off or sell it and buy another gun..but it may have some sintamental value so I added the options.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41841 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote