THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    If you like recoil, this should be your huckleberry!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you like recoil, this should be your huckleberry!
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
I just visited a Portland gun store and found a Custom Shop Remington 700 KS 'Mountain Rifle" in 338 RUM. It was a typical KS and couldn't have weighed more than 7 lbs. No muzzle break, and a 24" bbl.. I can only imagine the recoil this baby would generate, especially with 250 gr. loads. No, I didn't buy it, but I'd sure like to shoot it........once!

LOTS of power in a light package, and after all, you carry 'em more than you shoot 'em, RIGHT????

AD

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
If it is from their custom shop, does it have a true custom barrel?

24" on a RUM seems rather short for the cartridge.

I don't think I'd want to shoot it at all. Why don't you get it, shoot it, and let us know how your shoulder feels Big Grin

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better yet, you buy it and give it to me! I'll shoot that SOB.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
The barrel is about 2 inches too short (not to say it wouldn't kill anything in N. America very well), but it definitely would generate some recoil. I have a Rem 700 BDL in .338 RUM sans brake that can't weigh more than 8-8.5 lbs., and it definitely lets you know when you pull the trigger. I can't imagine a 7 pounder.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the same set up in a left handed .338 WM and it's not too bad. The straight stock, check rest, and recoil pad all do a pretty decent job in handling recoil. I have shot a .338 RUM LSS and even with the heavier rifle it kicks a lot more. Neither of which are as bad as my NULA 30-06 ultralight which really gives you a sharp crack. Rifle weight and stock fit are huge factors in this equation.

In the field, you only need one good shot from these rifles. Some feel that the brutality inflicted by the bench rest during sight-ins with these light rifles with multiple rounds is a small price for some to pay to be able to carry these light rifles. They are a joy to carry in the field especially if you hunt on foot in the mountains.

That .338 RUM sounds like perfect elk medicine.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen - I saw a LH Remington Custom KS Mountain Rifle at a recent Atlanta gun show and I was interested until I saw the caliber: the .375 Ultra Magnum. This rifle couldn't have weighed more than 7#; I suspect the recoil would be downright brutal.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I almost hate to admit it, but I can very easily see the utility in a KS in 338 RUM. As but one example, I've been on spring grizzly hunts that were really steep, with the distinct chance for a cross-canyon shot at a good trophy, and with no other alternative but take the shot or pass.

Quite Honestly, I think the 338 RUM is the best of the RUM cartridges and would fill a serious role in a hunting battery.........

AD

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I agree. In some other thread, we were asked what 2 rifles would handle everything in NA.

I chose the 338RUM as one of them. To me, it just makes good sense. Right along with one of my favorites, the 270 Win.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,
I had that same model in a .375 H&H. Magna ported it wasn't too bad. I only took it on one safari but shot giant forest hog, gerenuk, Lesser kudu, several warthogs, Aby. Bushbuck, and a female lion (cull hunt) with it.
I had my old .30-06 along but don't think I ever shot it that trip. Complete with 2X7 Vari-XX II the KS 700 was about 8 lbs loaded.

Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Far be it from me to talk someone into an "UltrGag", but I agree with you Allen... the 338 RUM is, IMO, the best of it's kin. Nice thing is you could load it down to 338 WM or 340 Wby performance and have brass life that would go on for a dozen firing's. Course you you just as easily build a 22 or 23" bbl'd lightweight 338 WM and lauch 210 TSX's at 3,000 fps and accomplish the same thing!

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
If it is from their custom shop, does it have a true custom barrel?

24" on a RUM seems rather short for the cartridge. Big Grin

24" is LONG for a mountain rifle.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Rem 700 custom in 375 H&H with the factory syn stock weighed 7 pounds without a scope. It did not have a brake......till after I shot it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You back off on the handloads a tad and it would be very shootable. I know several guys that shoot UAL's in 338's and they are in the 7 LB range. One fellow shoots nothing but those High Energy loads. And he has no problem hitting grapefruits out to 400 yards too. He really can shoot.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote