Find
Notify
Tools

7.92x54?????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted
Went to a gun show today, and found a couple of mausers in really nice condition. One was a 6.5mm ($140), the other was a 7.92x54mm ($160). Question is, I've never heard of a 7.92x54 caliber. Is it just the 8mm, or something totally different?

Also, they had a few Mosin Nagant rifles for $89. They were in pretty good condition, probably 70% or so. Would it be a good deal to get one of them? I've seen some online that were going for twice that much, that weren't in as good shape as these.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of a 7.92 x 54 and could find no listings for it. A 7.92x57 is a standard 8mm Mauser.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
My mistake. I believe it actually is 7.92x57. Got that confused with the 7.62x54. I looked at hundreds of rifles today. Lotsa ones to try and remember.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Possibly it is the 8x54 Krag -Jorgenson cartridge.It is made by shortening the 6.5x55 Swedish to 2.12 and necking up to .323.

The 8x54 was built on the Norwegian Krag or the Swedish Mauser.The cartridge has been obsolete for quite a while.It was used for hunting and target shooting.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcat Crazy:
Possibly it is the 8x54 Krag -Jorgenson cartridge.It is made by shortening the 6.5x55 Swedish to 2.12 and necking up to .323.

The 8x54 was built on the Norwegian Krag or the Swedish Mauser.The cartridge has been obsolete for quite a while.It was used for hunting and target shooting.
WC

Yep. I have one. Had ammo loaded by DKT when they were still in business.

Carcano

--
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."

"Is the world less safe now than before you declared your Holy war? You bet!"
(DUK asking Americans, 14th June 2004)

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote