New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 American Quality
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, my taxes are back and I have a hair in my ass to purchase a CZ 550 Am. in 9.3 X 62. I have yet to see one of these rifles up close and personal. Can anybody comment on the quality and accuracy of the 550. I thought I read awhile back that the CZ rifles were having problems with the finish on the stocks (turning white). Or maybe that was just a bad dream.
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was nice. Fit and finish were about like a Winchester Supergrade. The recoil pad is one of the best I've ever seen on a factory rifle. Around here that's a $75 fix, and it was nice to see it included in the sticker price. Aside from the lack of iron sights, I consider my 550 American to be an outstanding example of a heavy-duty rifle. Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with mine. It has become one of my favorite rifles. I'm taking it to South Africa in August (plains game hunt). Like most rifles in this price range, they can benefit from a little cleaning up as they come from the factory. My gunsmith glass bedded the action, smoothed up the action (lapped lugs, polished bolt raceways, etc.) and converted the single set trigger to a regular trigger. The trigger pull is now a nice, clean pull at a consistent 3.25 lbs. The rifle shoots groups around 1.0 to 1.25 inches when I do my part. My gunsmith liked mine so much that he bought one for himself. And the 9.3x62 is fast becoming one of my favorite cartridges.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 550 American Safari model in .375 H&H recently. I agree with catboat's observations, but I would have this to add. I am having to do some work on fitting the stock because the barrel channel was putting too much pressure on the barrel. This was spoiling accuracy. I had to relieve it by cutting it a full 1/16" deeper before the barrel (past the second barrel-mounted recoil lug) was floated free. In addition, the inletting allowed too much room for the action to move around in the stock, so I epoxy bedded it. In addition, the bolt handle is pressing pretty hard against the stock, so some further stock work will be needed in order to provide clearance there. Should be a good rifle once all that work is completed.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love mine in 7X57. All I had to do was adjust the trigger to my liking. Blue, wood to metal fit, and function, great.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have a total of 4 550's (7x57, 308, 375 H&H, and 458 Win Mag). While they may not be perfect they are a great gun. I do wish they dit a better job with the finish on the stock and with the bedding, that is about all I can complain about. Accuracy has been exceptional with all of my CZ's.

Go ahead and get one, you will be very happy with it.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go ahead and get one, you will be very happy with it.

Oky-Doky, It has been ordered, site-un-seen.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
could someone post a picture please. I've been told the "American " models will be here in Oz in a matter of months. I'm not too keen on the hogsback style stock.
thanks Malcolm56

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hacksawtom:
I love mine in 7X57. All I had to do was adjust the trigger to my liking. Blue, wood to metal fit, and function, great.

Ditto for my 550 FS 6.5X55.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
My gunsmith converted the single set trigger to a regular trigger.

I'm wondering why you spent money on that, as the CZ trigger is adjustable in both modes, and can be set up to have a crisp, clean break at any reasonable weight with just the turn of a screwdriver. That goes for the single stage or the set mode as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Pretty straightforward stock design. I may eventually replace my stock with the McMillan CZ 550 stock.

I have a 9.3x62 American. I really do like it.

When it came in I had my gunsmith bed it, smooth the rails a bit and lightly stone the trigger.

I will put on a set of Talley rings. I got my panties all twisted up when I saw the plastic follower. It does work just fine however, so I'll take a Midol and try and get over it.

The rifle is a real shooter. What a cool caliber.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by BFaucett:
My gunsmith converted the single set trigger to a regular trigger.

I'm wondering why you spent money on that, as the CZ trigger is adjustable in both modes, and can be set up to have a crisp, clean break at any reasonable weight with just the turn of a screwdriver. That goes for the single stage or the set mode as well.

Yeah, I know. I just don't like set triggers. Just a personal preference.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats was my post on the stock finish "lifting" off the wood. Don't worry, that was a flaw on some back in 2002. The new ones are fine. You'll love it. I have had several in the smaller calibers, .223-22LR and all have been excellent rifles. Enjoy your purchase and again don't worry about the stock finish lifting off, not a issue on the new ones. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just in case you are contemplating open sights, I put the NECG rear sight and a "low" height NECG Universal front sight on mine. It is a shooter now for sure.

Though free-floating in the US it was warped and shooting high (as I remember) when it got to Africa last year. I REALLY free-floated it when I got home. Might want to consider that if going far with the wood stock.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[I love my cz rifles they are accurate and functional, great value !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote