New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sauer 202 question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a standard 202 accept the stutzen fore-end and barrel? I want to have a standard length barrel in 6.5X57 and a stuzen barrel in 9.3X62. I'm planning to only buy one rifle while living in Germany and think this setup would handle any hunting I plan to do here. Might not be a bad combo to take to Africa either, now that I think of it.

Posts: 26 | Location: arkansas | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got several 202's and a buddy has a Sutzen barrel. I'll check when I talk to him, but I'm pretty sure they will interchange, I have several 'Safari' barrels, and other 'Standard' barrels fit in those rifles just fine if wanted.

Splendid rifles the 202's, just hard to get parts for over here--I hate that, but it probably saves me some money, cause if I could get more barrels, buttstocks etc. I would buy them for sure!

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I to have a Sauer 9.3x62mm Stutzen, I’ve talked with Mr. Matthias Klotz at Sauer about changing barrels in a Sauer 202 Stutzen and this was his answer:

quote:

There are two synthetic inlays in the front of the fore end.
When disassembling the fore end the user always has to make sure that he does not loose these inlays, otherwise accuracy will be worse.

With these inlays we really can claim to have the best shooting Stutzen in the world. Your experience with this rifle shows that we are right.

When taking off the fore end and putting it on again (with inlays) nothing will happen to accuracy because you still have the same barrel in the gun. But when now changing the barrel it can happen that the length of the stock leads to the problem that the hole of the metal cap is not 100 % in position for the hole in the new barrel. When then assembling the metal cap and fixing the screw at the muzzle you can get tension on the barrel which will finally leads to bad accuracy. Therefore we tell the market that there is no barrel interchange ability at the Stutzen because the user cannot change the hole in the cap or adjust length of the stock perfectly.

Here in the factory we just take a new fore end with perfect length that the hole of the cap fits exactly to the hole of the new barrel. Therefore we can change barrels but it might happen that we need a new fore end. So it is almost impossible to have one Stutzen with one fore end but two or more barrels because you cannot manufacture wood to this precise tolerance.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best regards

Matthias Klotz
Product Manager SAUER

J.P. Sauer & Sohn GmbH
Sauerstraße 2-6
24340 Eckernförde
www.sigsauer.de

So you should buy the 9.3x62mm Stutzen rifle, and then add a new barrel and forend, you will also need a magazine. If you do it the other way, buy the 6.5x57mm, rifle and then a Stutzen barrel and forend you could have accuracy issues or the entire rifle would have to go to the factory for fitting.

Hope it helps,
Cheers

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy an extra magazine or two while you're at it!

Also, for those interested, Jorgen Christensen of Sauer responded to my inquiry concerning whether there would be a new U.S. distributor. He informed me by email toward the end of April that Sauer was in the process of setting up a new U.S. distributor. They planned to have that in place by May 1. I have sent a f/up inquiry, but not received a response to date.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great.
I was planning to buy the stutzen 9.3 first anyway, so it sounds like I should be able to add the standard 6.5 barrel and fore-end with no problem.

On another 202 issue, I looked at a 202 in 375 H&H at a great price. Does anyone make custom barrels for the 202? I might get this one if I could get a second barrel in 300H&H.

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
I to have a Sauer 9.3x62mm Stutzen, I’ve talked with Mr. Matthias Klotz at Sauer about changing barrels in a Sauer 202 Stutzen and this was his answer:

quote:
------------------------------------------------

Nsiro:I dont have a Sauer 202, but i want to tell you that You really make a good contribution to this forum sharing that info and giving part of your time, great thumb thanks!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nsiro
Did your 9.3 come with a factory muzzle break? The Sauer web-site mentions a muzzle break on the 9.3 stutzen, but doesn't say if it is optional.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 9.3 came with a ported barrel, It has a two series of holes on top of the barrel near the front sight and a smaller series a little further back.

It is not a standard muzzle brake, I think, but more of a kind of Magna Port. It does reduce muzzle flip but I don’t think it does much for recoil.

I don’t think this is optional, they do it on all 9.3x62 202 stutzen rifles.

Cheer´s

Posts: 152 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I traded some stuff and ended up with a Sauer 202 Stutzen in 30-06.

I was thinking of adding a few barrels probably 7x64, 8x57, and 9.3x62.

Probably end up with a synthetic stock for it too, if not one more whole synthetic rifle.

How do the magazines work. Are their different floorplates for the ones that hang down versus the normal ones.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote