New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is wrong with me?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello, I am a new guy and I think that I need therapy. I think that gun boards are the closest thing to AA for gun nuts, the rest of the world doesn't understand us.

The reason that I need therapy is the fact that I am considering, no very strongly considering selling my .270 win and .338 winmag, to buy a 300wsm. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the guns in fact they are great shooters consistently hugging the 1 inch mark, and I have spent countless hours tweaking them and my ammunition. I just feel that I can consolidate the performance(or just about) into one gun. I can't explain it but I just have a tremendous urge to buy the new sexy 300wsm. So am I crazy or what, I know what my wife, father, and most friends think.

So my rifle arsenal would look like this:

300wsm
50. cal black powder
30-30
.22lr

Posts: 626 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Keep the 270 & 338. Buy the 300WSM then you will have lots of bullets to do tweakies!
That is how most gun nuts start buy & not sellin; I think I have about 150 rifles in my vault now!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Rule #1 of rifleownership: NEVER SELL AND ACCURATE RIFLE!

one of us
posted Hide Post
/always buy hardly ever sell the 270 and 338 are great guns you need them. Buy the mag to add to your collection.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

More of WHAT than crazy. But--------? "So am I crazy or what," You're being hooked on the marketeers hype into buying (sexy ?) something to keep them in business while it restricts you from taking advantage of the available energy and using the nice long heavy bullets.
You want to spend money and have fun? Get a .300 H&H mag. with a reasonable throat length.Keep the other two rifles. Getting rid of them isn't crazy it's more than that. The .270 & the .338 will be around a lot longer than the short fat beltless magnums. The only gap short mags. fill is in the new toy catagory. One man's maybe not too humble opinion roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Listen to Roger! The .300 H&H has it all over the stubby guns. Short actions are the answer to a non-existent problem. The "superior" accuracy of the design is only of use to bench rest competitors using 20 lb. rifles in neon sissy colors. Do not succumb to the marketing weasels. Stand by the traditional values. I have spoken!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What and where do you hunt? The 270 is a little more of a varmint rifle. Most of all I like at least one backup and a 30/30 is not what I have in mind.

Save up some more. The math is easy. You trade two guns and get one back. Who wins?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I am keeping the rifles. You guys made me see common sense again, after all I bought them for a perfect 2 gun combination for North America. Roger was right when he said I was falling for the marketing hype, but I still lust after that Model 70 classic stainless short action you may not like the new style stock(gag) but that action is nice looking . I might be saving my pennies, but not selling the twins. Bad Ass Wallace I bow down to your gun nuttyness. Would you be a Smith? The only other guy I know that owns that many guns is a Smith friend of mine, and most of his are just actions(supposedly the Feds consider actions as guns). As far as what and where I hunt, well mostly deer and Elk in the four corner states. Maybe instead of saving my pennies for an unneeded gun I will save them for an Alaska or maybe African hunt, I mean tropical cruise(wife just walked in). Thanks again guys, next time I feel like doing something stupid I will make sure and check in here first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tech
Welcome to accurate reloading!

Sell your wife if she won't let you have the new 30 short mag!

No man can be reasoned with when it comes to that new gun.

Hell you could sell it for a proffit if you keep it for long enough!

Works for me!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...Maybe instead of saving my pennies for an unneeded gun I will save them for an Alaska or maybe African hunt, I mean tropical cruise(wife just walked in). ...

Your wife might be the one in need of therapy. My current wife (does this tell you something? ) once said something about my "interests" and the expense. So... I totaled up her expenses (isn't Quickbooks wonderful for doing that?) and showed where my hobby was a tenth of her various interests, donations, etc. Haven't heard much about it since. She does get a bit wound up when she actually receives a package but she's changed quite a bit. We now have a dog, bought an RV, and she actually got in the canoe (to float in about 8" of water). Seriously, 5 guns is nothing.

Oh, what you really ought to do is investigate Contenders and Encores. You can hunt anything and just change chamberings by changing barrels. All the barrels look alike so one only has to add one or two guns to have a whole other addiction... er, collection.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you're hunting but I've got a .270 Win. and a .338 Mag. I use the .270 on sheep, caribout, etc. and the .338 on moose, elk & if I'm concerned about or going after the larger bears. For the most part, you've got your bases covered. The only thing I could see you getting would be a .257 Imp or maybe a .22-250 Imp. I've got the former & thinking about the latter. Ya don't need the latest & greatest "wizzum" or what ever it's called. Those rifles can't kill any deader than your .270 or .338. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think we all are in about the same boat here, but I am in a even worse condition. all my guns do the same things as for as power and useage. 6.5x55, 7x57, 30/06, 8x57, 9.3x57. All mauser actions except the 30/06 which is a Remington Sportman 74. At least your guns can all do different things. What I want next is something a little bit larger. I was thinking of a 416 Remington or a 458 winnie. But what I would use them for I don't know. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the boards.Never sell an accurate gun.I have in the past and won't in the future.I will not cave into the new short magnums.I going the other way.250-3000,.308 Win. and .358 Win.I recently sold ever rifle in the cabinet and I'm starting over.Therapy won't help much,extended range sessions with several rifles does take the edge off though.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could sell the .270 but keep the .338. Forget the WSM, buy a .257 Bob, mebbe a .25-06. Advice is free, guns aren't.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep what you got and you won't suffer from sellers remorse. As already suggested, a 300 H&H is a good choice. And so is a 300 WinMag, and so is the good old '06. Face it pal, you're addicted. But so is everyone else around here.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with the .270 win because I saw it as the perfect rifle for what I was planning on hunting, Mule Deer in Utah(which meant anytbing from 50 to 350 yards, my self imposed limit) everything that I read said that the .270 was the perfect Mulie round. Next thing you know Elk was in the plans, so I tell my wife that you have to have something bigger to kill Elk(she doesn't know any better) here comes the .338win, then the black powder of coarse for black powder season. Oh ya everyone absolutely needs a brush gun 30-30. Now I need a 300wsm because I know several guys that have 30-06imp, the way I see it the wsm can almost catch the 300 winmag or load down efficiently to the 30-06, and isn't that what the big draw to 06 imp is. I really really want that wsm but I can't quite justify the expense to myself, that is why the crazy thoughts of selling off the other two rifles that I put so much time into making shoot the way I wanted. Don't you guys think that tweaking your rifles and ammo to shoot to your own standards is most of the fun? I can't understand why people want to spend $2,000 to have a rifle that shoots perfect from the get go. There is no way I could get back what I have put into those rifles, I just had an idea(oh how our addicted minds work) my daughter will be hunting age in 5 or 6 years, I will tell myself and my wife that the .270 is hers, and I need a 300 for me. Someday I think I am going to need a .375. I don't know very many people that understand people like us, maybe that just makes us special.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
After all the home spun and you still want a WSM? Your original question was justified!!!!! Forget the or what!!!! roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

After all the home spun and you still want a WSM? Your original question was justified!!!!! Forget the or what!!!! roger

I can't help it that rifle is calling my name. From what I have seen it is calling a lot of others as well. At the Sportsmans Warehouse where I buy all my shooting supplies, the only brass that they are completely out of is(drum roll please) 300wsm, also they haven't got factory ammo on the shelf either(all bought up you see). I don't want one because it seems to be popular, I just want one because I want one, there is no rational reason for it, therefor I think applies. What I am hoping is that there is some hope for me, maybe a broken shoulder, no that wouldn't work either because I would learn to shoot lefty.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LOL! That is the way a ture gun nut sounds. "MY Dog will be hunting age in a few years. The 30/06 is his. Now I have room for that New Double rifle". Welcome to my life. It is nice here in gun land. LLB

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I can't explain it but I just have a tremendous urge to buy the new sexy 300wsm.

Since when is short and fat sexy???

You already have "sexy"...the .270 WCF. You want more sexy? Get a .300 H&H.

As for the .300 WSM brass and ammo being sold out...maybe it's gone because they didn't have that much to begin with. Have you considered that?

My personal rule, and it's a good one, is I won't own a cartridge that was developed after I was born. Stick to that and you'll be safe. Since I don't like belts on cases (aside from the H&Hs), that pretty much leaves me with the .308 WCF as the youngest cartridge at my disposal.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I can't explain it but I just have a tremendous urge to buy the new sexy 300wsm.

Since when is short and fat sexy???

You already have "sexy"...the .270 WCF. You want more sexy? Get a .300 H&H.

As for the .300 WSM brass and ammo being sold out...maybe it's gone because they didn't have that much to begin with. Have you considered that?

My personal rule, and it's a good one, is I won't own a cartridge that was developed after I was born. Stick to that and you'll be safe. Since I don't like belts on cases (aside from the H&Hs), that pretty much leaves me with the .308 WCF as the youngest cartridge at my disposal.

RSY

Usually the short moderately fat ones have real_____. If you know what I mean, and that can be sexy .

Of course I considered that they just didn't order very many pieces of brass, or ammo for the 300wsm; however the sales assistants said that they are selling them out much faster than any other cartridge right now.

As far as your personal rule is concerned, I would respectfully suggest that you may be limiting yourself from taking advantage of advances in new technology. For instance I sell my bow every 4 to 5 years to buy the new technology(lighter, faster, more accurate, more consistent, etc...). I like to think that I am open minded enough so that if something new comes out that I can objectively examine it and, if it is indeed good or better in some way I could take advantage of it. Now I know that I don't need the new wsm cartridges, but I do like the concept in general(nonbelted magnums, efficient down loading, short lite rifles) the urge I had to sell my other rifles I will admit was nuts, and you guys helped see the light on that; however someday I think I might just have a 300 wsm sitting in my safe. If I was to start over right now with no rifles I think I would have a 270wsm, 300wsm or maybe wait for the 338wsm instead of the 300. I think the next gun I buy will be a .44 mag pistol of some kind, since right now I have no hunting pistol and that would be the only kind of hunt that I could not join in on. Do you think that winchester could make a .44wsm pistol?