New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber Model 84?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new production Kimber M84s? I saw one today in .308 and the store owner said he expected some 7-08s in in a few weeks. They seem well made, and great fit and finish. Also they weigh in just under 6 lbs... Anyone done some groups yet?

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
I haven't seen one group but I would love to have one in 7mm-08! There was a really good writeup on the 84m a while back in Guns Magazine. It really looks nice.

<Don Martin29>
posted
They sent one for testing to Finn Aaguard and he found that a threaded hole in the barrel to hold the sight had been drilled all the way thru into the bore!

<HBH>
posted
Don,
They are having a hard enough time getting these rifles on dealers racks, let alone to gun writer heaven.

KY Nimrod,

I bought one in March for my youngest in 243.
We haven't got serious about groups yet just letting her breakin the barrel with factory fodder, the rifle will go 1.250 - 1.50 normally for 5. I dont have much dought that handloads will shrink that average.

I think it is a nice rifle. As for my critique, I wish it had a metal follower, as the plastic one as they come leaves something to be desired. I will fix this before too long. The safety is two position and I would have preferred a three. The trigger is very crisp about 4lbs. The stock is of nice shape in the wrist/grip slightly open, finish is ok. Overall I liked this rifle for my daughter better than anything I could put my hands on,(even though the LOP @ 13 3/4"as it came required alteration) with the weight being a major factor. Talley makes bases so I didnt have to fiddle with windage ajustable bases, which I loath. I would buy again.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
1. Finn is dead...room temp now for what 2 years?

2. The 84m doesn't have fixed sights.

3. Maybe you are talking about the old guns from Kimber of Oregon...not Kimber of America?

<Don Martin29>
posted
Kentucky,

I know Finn is dead and I miss him. Since Keith he is one of the few who told the truth.

DMallard's comments are why I made the comment on the new Kimbers.

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000714#000005

Perhaps just one rifle reported on by one person is not enough to go on. I see you commented on that thread so perhaps you discounted Mallards comments?

With one off stuff like this one wonders what the process sheet, manufacturing integrity and quality control is?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,
I did a search and it didn't pull up that old thread. Thanks for the link. I didn't remember the post.
I kind of view onesy and twosey negative posts with some scepticism. These things are made by human beings and as such are subject to flaws. I've had bad rifles with serious defects from Winchester, Ruger, Remington and Sako. If I went solely by that experience my choices would have narrowed dramtically...
Plus some people are just hard to please no matter what you do. Add to that the eccentricities you find in the members of the reloading/shooting community its hard to draw definitive picture off of a single post or even two or three. That's why I asked for more.
I own two Kimber 1911's and they are hands down the best made 1911's I own. That includes a custom Colt Commander from the Gunsite Custom shop during Cooper's tenure, and a Springfield worked over by Novaks. I was hoping their reputation in hanguns would carry over into rifles...maybe not. We'll see. Sometimes gun manufacturers need a few production runs under their belt to get their "sea legs" under them. I can think of half a dozen examples of this.

<Don Martin29>
posted
I came down hard on a specific rifle that I have not seen. I know your a big guy and can handle a rifle so if it looks good then try it out.

That's the beauty of rifles. No commitment. Either they perform for us or out they go.