Tools

sierra game king
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carnyman:
From grandpa on down my family has used. 270 win. In that time we have used sierra bullets to kill everything from hogs and dogs to bucks and bulls. My question is why don't i see more guys on the forums talking about sierras..... Am i alone? Thanks for your answers in advance.

No your not alone!

My "go to" bullet for my 270W is the 150 SGK.
I prefer a heavy for caliber SGK in 30 cal. and under. However, I switch to a partition (Nosler or Swift) beginning with my 8x57 on up to 458WM.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will freely admit I am a Premium bullet freek.

As I believe the bullet does all the work I spare no expense on having the best bullet for the job.

And also I believe on maximum penetration.

I have shot a lot of game with Sierra bullets, and never have I been disapointed. BUT I have not used them in Magnum cartridges.

However one of my favorite hunting bullets in the 308 is the Sierra 165gr Gameking HPBT.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lagerboy:
Carnyman, I do do use and appreciate them as you do. My killing load combo is using 140gr GK with the 270 Winchester. Killed every deer I've ever shot at. And our deer here in Sask are quite large. But yeah, on larger critters, I wouldn't want to use them when they're are obviously better choices. Cheers

Very, very interesting!

My .270 Win loves the 140 gr Sierra HP Gameking, and I hunt the smallish blackmail deer.

Being compulsive and before I hunted with it (and just for fun) I asked Sierra if they'd recommend this bullet for Blacktail. (Duh! Why would they not?)

To my amazement, their answer was that they would not . . . they said it would likely not expand sufficiently and would just "pencil through." They strongly recommended one of their 130 gr SP bullets instead.

I greatly appreciated their honesty.

JFWIW

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
That's correct. Contrary to popular belief and despite many other bullet manufacturers habits, Hollow points do not mean soft or fast expanding per se. Sierra HP's are hard and meant to resist high velocities ; they call them magnum (caliber) bullets. Personally, when roe deer stalking, I load my .30-06 with Sierra 165 GK (SP) and also take along few identical handloads but loaded with 165 GK HP in case I meet wild boar. Both bullets are very accurate (.5 MOA) and, as a bonus, they shoot to the same POI.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the problem is marketing and gun writers. It's just not possible to kill anything anymore without a new monolithic bullet with a plastic tip, shot out of some sort of short ultra magnum guided by a 30mm tubed scope with a 50mm objective lens in a synthetic stock. Game Kings and Partitions are still my go to bullets....

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I've found Sierra's 90gr Varminter to be very accurate, though I've yet to use it on a live target.
Haven't put it over the Chrony either but it hits 6" higher than the 130gr Gameking at 200yds.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still use some Sierras for hunting and they are very accurate bullets..slow them down as opposed to speeding them up and they work pretty darn well....If I am hunting elk or larger then I opt for Nosler partitions but the Sierras have always worked for me in the past..I just opt for the best bullets thats out there on big animals..I like the super premiums.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41952 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You always have some of the best posts. Guns, critters and load results all in a great setting. Well done and thank you.

quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Although my bullet of choice has become the Nosler Accubond, I have complete confidence in Game Kings used appropriately.

This Winchester Model 70 Supergrade in 300 WSM racked up 26 one shot kills, DRT, on hogs deer and turkey, using 150 gr. Sierra Spitzers, MV, +/- 3,250 fps.

Best

GWB

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
When I get a new (to me) rifle the first thing I do is go out and grab at least one box of Sierras. I know that they will show me the accuracy of the rifle. All rifles I've loaded for shoot Sierras well, tho' they MAY shoot another bullet better.
I prefer to use flat-base Sierras for hunting bullets, but I keep my shooting to a max of about 300 yards against unharmed game.
My game-guns in the safe now are .257 Bob, .300 WinMag, .270 Win AI, .300 Savage, and .250 Savage, so there is quite a range of animal size.
My competition rifles use Sierra boat-tail GKs before I go to target bullets.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
I have several boxes of GK's on my shelf. I really like the 225 35 cals. Sometimes they can be more accurate than Hornadys, but when they are not I tend to gravitate to Hornadys or Core locks because any difference in their performance on game is minimal IMO, and it seems like they do tend to cost just a bit more most of the time. Sometimes the little bit of accuracy is enough to justify a couple bucks more. Sometimes its not. And sometimes it just comes down to bullet availibility for me. Different weights and such.

Just got through loading up a couple dozen 225 gr. Sierra GK's over 61 gr. IMR 4320 for my Rem. 673 Guide gun in 350 Rem Mag. Won't be long but it will be time for fun with hoglets! They definitely make an impression. LOL

Best

GWB

I like the looks of them 350 Mag carbines. Kind of like a handy 358 win and a potent Whelen all rolled into one. tu2

Posts: 10156 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just happened to be perusing the medium bore forums this AM. Thought I would add this as I had the opportunity to let the Guide gun breathe a little. I had posted this previously in the "Hogs" forum

I luv pokin' porkers. Here's one I took Wednesday evening Feb. 13th, just before dark with the 350 Rem Mag guide gun.

Hit him at the junction of the shoulder and body with a 225 gr. Sierra Spitzer. He just folded.

Not up to my usual standard on the photo, but I put my good camera in the shop for cleaning and left my point and shoot in Houston. All I had was my cell phone. It does not seem to couple to well in the gloaming.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a Gameking fan myself. But I shoot them at the recomended velocities. The Sieera loading manual lists the recomended velocity and use for each bullet.

They kill well and they are accurate. Ain't that the whole purpose of a bullet?

GW = Hogkillin' Machine.

Posts: 41800 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concur with prior posts here that if a rifle won't shoot Sierras well it probably won't shoot much of anything well. I also always start with Sierras unless I'm just too hard-headed in a certain caliber in which case I'll load up Partitions. For my varmint rifle battery, nothing but Sierras in the 22 caliber range, usually the 55gr HPBT or SBT.

Just ordered a box of Sierra 180gr GameKings in 308 to try out in my 300 WinMag. I usually shoot the Nosler 180gr Partition in this rifle but have decided to try that Sierra in the upcoming fall season.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite deer and varmint rifle both are loaded with Sierras. For caribou on up in size I use mostly Partitions. Moose sized game I use Trophy Bonded Bear Claws or Swift A-Frames.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting the 180gr. Gamekings in my 30 magnums since.............. Norma 205.(NOS) It is a great combo, at least for another 96 rounds Frowner. Great performer at all ranges and game up to big mule deer and elk. I will say this about the 180 gr., Pigs sure don't like them at any range.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion,

I bought some .375 cal 250 grain gamekings for my .375H&H and I've loaded some but haven't had a chance to test them yet. I intend to use them at moderate velocities for Whitetail and Black Bear.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.