THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Re: What is your most accurate rifle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What is your most accurate rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted
The most accurate rifle I own is a 458 Win Mag when shooting 500g bullets. Fred Zeglin built this rifle on a VZ-24 Mauser with a custom leade using a Douglass XX air gauge barrel. I put 4 shots at 100 yards into 3/4 of an inch from the bench. And, yeah, a 458 really does kick, too.

The next one I have that shoots just about as good is a 7x57mm Mauser 98 built by Jim Gaston, also using a Douglas XX air gauge barrel. Chamber and throat is pure SAAMI spec, nothing fancy on it. It consistently shoots under one inch at 100 yards with 140g Speer HotCors.

My worst rifle is a stock factory Model 700 Remington BDL in 7mm Rem Mag, built in 1968. I bought it new, but it has never shot better than 2 to 2.5 inches at 100 yards, regardless of the various sights I put on it. I have rifles that don't shoot as tight as the 700 at 100 yards, such as an old 94 Winchester in 32 Special caliber. This 94 shoots about 2.5 inches to 3 inches at 100 yards, which is pretty typical I understand. I expected my 700 to shoot better than this, but it never has. The best I can say is that it is consistent, at longer ranges it is still a 2 minute or so rifle.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, a T/C Contender with a 20" SSK bull barrel in 309 JDJ. It has (but not always) done 1/2" groups at 100 yds for me with 150 gr Ballistic tips. I love it when that happens. It'll do an inch or under consistantly.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote