THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    What is the difference between a Burchells and Hartman's Zebra?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the difference between a Burchells and Hartman's Zebra?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted
Do they interbreed? Is one bigger? Tougher? ~Jeff

------------------
Ever notice how Cape Buffs and mothers-in-law look the same?

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hartmann's Mountain Zebra. Habitat: where mts meet lowlands. Dependent upon water. Natural range in central to southern Namibia. Weight 330kg. Coloring: Large black and white (or is it white and black) stripes which don't run under the belly. Legs are strongly striped.

Burchells Plains Zebra: Habitat: Open wood, scrub and grassland. Very dependent upon water. Natural range across northern Namibia, Botwanna, then moving southeast towards Durban then north up the coast to Kruger Park area, then along the Mozambique border, then west along the Zimbabwean border. Weight 320kgs. Coloring: White with black stripes with light tan shadows between the stripes that are darkest on the rump and get lighter as the stripes move towards the head. Stripes on the legs are faint, but the stripes go under the belly amidships.

Taken from Smithers' Mammals of Southern Africa, A Field Guide.

Of course they could interbreed, but I doubt that it would occur naturally because of the herding instinct of the animals, and the fact they only naturally share a small common range in northern Namibia. I have seen a horse zebra cross, which was interesting. Had dark, subdued stripings. I did not determine whether it was a Burchells Plains or a Hartmans Mt cross.

Regarding how tough they are, I can't speak to the Hartman's, but the Burchell's is quite tough if not properly marianated. Taste was more like beef that any venison I every tasted in Africa.
Ku-dude

[This message has been edited by Ku-dude (edited 04-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Ku-dude (edited 04-17-2002).]

<jacon>
posted
Having hunted both species of Zebra, I can say IMHO that the Harteman's Zebra is a lot tougher to hunt than the Burchell. The Harteman is very clever, only comes to water at night, then retires to normally quite rough country to spend the day. One rarely bumps into hartemans, it requires a lot of time to just locate the animals, then they are usually in a spot that is very difficult to approach. Shots can be very long when one is finially offered. A very challenging hunt.