Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading die 9,3x62 from 30-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
In Huntingtons there is a die to convert 30-06 cases into 9,3x62 cases.
I will mostly use military brass, how they will work?
Opinions please
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've made hundreds of 35 Whelan cases from 30-06 brass by merely running the 06 brass through the 35 Whelan size die.My size die has a tapered expander so it expands the neck from 308 to 358 with no problem. The 9.3 is only 8 thousands of an inch bigger (.366) so you should have no trouble. Another option would be to run the 06 cases over a 338 expander first an then into the 9.3 size die.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i used these dies for awhile (and still do for an oddball 9.3 I have) and I would lose a case once in awile when the neck buckled. Maybe one in ten. I switched to Imperial Sizing Wax, lubed the necks inside and out, and the problem pretty much disappeared. - dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give them a try.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, gents, but there are some things wrong. They might get you in trouble. The .35 Whelen was designed as a necked up �06.

The 9.3x62 was an improved design on the basic Mauser case! So head diameter and rim diameter is slightly different. Thats no problem. Base diameter is slightly larger. I�m not sure, but I would think that at least an extraordinary amount of stretching an �06 case for the first firing is necessary. Still should do no harm.

But what some of us like about the x62 case: its an IMPROVED, blown out case.

Correct procedure for conversion of �06 cases ( or .35 Whelen ):

Neck up to .375. Size in 9.3x62 die until case chambers. Use fireforming load ( - 5% ). Full lenght resize, trim, and then use as usual.

I think to buy original cases for top end loads would make sense ( Ray would, of course, say since ;-))

Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
Why would anyone bother to make a case with the wrong dimensions when you can buy new unfired cases in boxes of 20pcs. Especially for a rifle you won�t shoot more than maybe a hundred rounds a year. ( 9,3x62 brass might be hard to come by in the US??)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola Lorenzo

As A-Hunter said you need to neck up to min .375 to have a good solid headspace , don't forget to anneal the necks prior to fire forming , you can search ebay.de in wiederladen for empty cases 9,3 x 62 ( very cheap ).

Made in Sweden , Lorenzo lives in Uruguay it's South America , and there it's not easy to get 9,3 cases [Frown]

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Daniel,
Yesterday I was going to answer him that I'm not masochist, that by some reason I was trying this method, but finally I decide to leave things like that...
Anyway, I forgive him, with so much pretty girls in his country he deserves some respet [Smile]
LG

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Sorry guys! I didn�t quite comprehend the problems associated with living in Uruguay! I guess I�m twice blessed, Norma cases and beautiful women!! But if you ever get a chance to come visit I�ll be glad to let you in on both!
Good luck!
/Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
The cheapest and not necessarily worst ammo�s are : Sellier and Bellot, PMP of SA, Lapua and Geco ( cheap RWS ). Look for a deal on these and collect the empty cases.

I understand the proudness of shooting game with homebrewed ammo, and did so once and might again. But time is short, factory ammo ( with exceptions ) is cheaper ( the times, they are achangin`) and its hunting what counts.

I would only load for useing special bullets: RWS Solid, GS Solid, Nosler 286 Partition. I suspect teh A Square 250 grs could be the most versatile 9.3 bullet around - ?

If you really want to do things yourself and have lots of �06 cases floating around: go fireform them. But to buy 35 Whelen, which are worked less and not exactly cheap, I still recommend buying the x62 originals. Norma Jaktmatch ammo with 232 FMJ Spitzer comes to mind.

Anyway you do it: have fun! Hermann

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I'm working hard to obtain some factory Lapua cases, I must wait one more month and if God and the customs agents helps [Smile] I will be able to shoot some wild boars with them.

Made in Sweden
The girls there are beautiful but latins are pure fire, I think I can continue living shooting fireformed cases [Big Grin]
Regards
LG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo Maybe I should have provided a little more information with my first recommendation.You can neck the cases up to a larger cal and then size them back to create a shoulder or you can just size them and seat the bullet out far enough to positively engage the rifling when the bolt is closed. This will hold the head of the case tight against the bolt face and the cases will fireform beautifully. As for the 9.3x62 being slightly "improved" compared to the 06 case and that being a problem regarding case stretching.... Somebody really should have told Roy Weatherby that he couldn't blow out the 300 H&H case to 300 Wby.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Made in Sweden>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:

Made in Sweden
The girls there are beautiful but latins are pure fire, I think I can continue living shooting fireformed cases [Big Grin]
Regards
LG

I know about the latin girls!! I guess my partner in life is as close to them as humanly possible in a girl from Sweden. She is beautiful with long, pitchblack hair and the temperament of a .577 T-Rex with a steel buttplate!!
[Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Snowman,
Thanks for the information, if customs agents don't help [Smile] I will follow your advice.

Made in Sweden,
I love steel buttplates, but I prefer them in lighter calibers !!!, maybe .25 or .30 but not more [Smile]

LG

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Lorenzo!
I was just comparing my womans temperament to a heavy stoppingrifle with a steel buttplate, in that sense it seems that women are like rifles....
...some can learn to handle the added pain that comes with a powerful package...and some go for a more reasonable but still useable alternative....
...The female counterpart to the .577 T-Rex might just be a latino girl during her period!! (I guess most swedish girls eqals something like a 270 Win... long, beautiful and a fine compromise...) Your thoughts please!!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Made in Sweeden
I'was not talking about calibers I was talking about women age [Smile]
Latins at the begining they are all smiles, softs, wear sexy lencerie, they are always happy every time you tell them you go hunting or fishing, after some time, when they know they've caught you by the balls, they transform in some horrible creatures trying to dominate us, the victims,the poor hunters [Smile]

Something like buying a nice 243 that after some time becomes a T.Rex without advice !!

Regards
LG

[ 09-16-2002, 18:51: Message edited by: Lorenzo ]

<Made in Sweden>
posted
Lorenzo! You have fully understood the mysteries of women!! They sometimes turn into something completely different as a relationship develops... maybe this is a question for the female members to adress...or on second thought, maybe not....
[Big Grin] Take care!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the o6 cases lack the powder capacity of the 9.3 cases...I loose about 100 FPS with them...I use Lapua 9.3x62 cases mostly.

Posts: 41837 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote