New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Weatherby rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a hankering to get a new Mark V Weatherby Deluxe with a woodstock. Any feedback on these rifles would be much appreciated. Accuracy, feeding etc.

Thanks,
AR

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I has one in 270 Wby with a stunningly beautiful hunk of wood on it. I was surprised by the excellent accuracy but being young and dumb (at the time), I had to part with it to get me over the money hump for a Dall sheep hunt.

I've never heard of feeding issues with a Mark V.

A gunsmith buddy of mine does a ton of cartridge, load, velocity, pressure testing and used the MarkV actions.

Like all the other brands out there, some shoot better than others.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience or interest in Weatherby rifles: however: In the great book "The Last of the Great Brown Bear Men" which tells the story of probably Alaska's greatest brown bear outfitters, Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson, they have a very brief description of the rifles they used over their 40 yrs. of outfitting for brown bears. In that section, they make the comment that the brand of rifles their hunters brought, the ones that gave the most problems were Weatherbys. Don't know if that was feeding issues or not but found that interesting. They probably had more experience in what works and what doesn't in rough conditions than anyone of their era. You never find that kind of stuff in gun magazines.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Somebody can make any brand of rifle not function if they don’t know what their doing or don’t take care of it. Ask any guide living today. Big Grin

I’ve had a Deluxe in .257 Wby for a number of years. Nice workmanship, wood is very nice and like every other Weatherby I’ve owned it’s accurate and reliable. But I maintain it just like I do all my other rifles and not just reading about them in a book.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20 year old mk V in 270 wby it has served me well taking many heads of game. It still shoots grapefruit sized groups at 300 yards after thousands of rounds.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I just bought a brand new Weatherby Vanguard MeatEater in their proprietary Weatherby camo, grey tungsten, with twisted/fluted barrel, threaded barrel with a removable muzzle cap for my new Banish 338 suppressor, three position safety, etc. etc. etc., in caliber 6.5 PRC, for $849.99. I also subsequently ordered a Weatherby muzzle brake for it for another $59. It's also a guaranteed Sub MOA Weatherby rifle. Great rifle and great price! tu2 It's only my second Weatherby rifle. My other is a Weatherby Custom Shop 257 Weatherby. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
No experience or interest in Weatherby rifles: however: In the great book "The Last of the Great Brown Bear Men" which tells the story of probably Alaska's greatest brown bear outfitters, Bill Pinnell and Morris Talifson, they have a very brief description of the rifles they used over their 40 yrs. of outfitting for brown bears. In that section, they make the comment that the brand of rifles their hunters brought, the ones that gave the most problems were Weatherbys. Don't know if that was feeding issues or not but found that interesting. They probably had more experience in what works and what doesn't in rough conditions than anyone of their era. You never find that kind of stuff in gun magazines.

After 40 years of wanting a Weatherby rifle, in 2009 I finally bought my first one, a Vanguard chambered in .300 Wby. Being a gun nut and tinkerer, I re-stocked it in AA Fancy walnut that fits me and I pillar and glass bedded, floated the barrel, had a KDF muzzle brake installed, put recoil reducer in the stock, switched the trigger to a Timney, and I checkered it in my favorite 5 panel wrap around pattern. The result is a rifle that I am proud to carry, it's felt recoil is less than the recoil of my .308 Win, and it has shot 3-shot groups with 4 different brands and weights of bullets.

I've successfully used that rifle on multiple hunts in Montana, Texas, and four international hunts. It quickly became my favorite rifle.

Because of the good experience that I've had with my .300 Wby Vanguard, I bought two more Vanguard rifles, one in .223 and the other in .308 Win. Both of these rifles will also shoot 3-shot sub moa groups. I have shot somewhere between 1000 to 2000 shots with these three rifles...all without a single problem.

quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Somebody can make any brand of rifle not function if they don’t know what their doing or don’t take care of it. Ask any guide living today. Big Grin

I’ve had a Deluxe in .257 Wby for a number of years. Nice workmanship, wood is very nice and like every other Weatherby I’ve owned it’s accurate and reliable. But I maintain it just like I do all my other rifles and not just reading about them in a book.

Some guides also don't maintain their rifles. On one of my African hunts we started by checking the zero of our rifles. One of the hunters opted to use the Outfitter's .375 H&H camp gun. When he shot it I picked up one of the cases, I looked at it then picked up a second case and told the PH that his gun had a rust build up in it's chamber. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I thought that. So I showed him the two fired cases that had identical indents on their side. He then took out the bolt and with a flashlight, we could see the rust build up in the chamber.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cougarz:

Some guides also don't maintain their rifles. On one of my African hunts we started by checking the zero of our rifles. One of the hunters opted to use the Outfitter's .375 H&H camp gun. When he shot it I picked up one of the cases, I looked at it then picked up a second case and told the PH that his gun had a rust build up in it's chamber. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked why I thought that. So I showed him the two fired cases that had identical indents on their side. He then took out the bolt and with a flashlight, we could see the rust build up in the chamber.

Yes I’ve seen that myself.

In my quoted post above I was speaking about some of guides clients.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Get the Weatherby if you’re hankering for one.

I have a gaggle from 224 - 416 and all are incredibly accurate with both factory ammo and handloads.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby Vanguard is actually a rebranded Japanese made Howa rifle. Nothing wrong with them although a bit on the heavy side but they are not a Weatherby Mark V.

The Vanguard usually needs some work on the factory trigger to get a good one and shoots better if the barrel is free floated as do most of the cheaper plastic stocked rifles.
The Vanguard stock is quite solid, hence the weight, and they are an all metal very reliable rifle.

Posts: 3848 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold a number of Weatherby Vanguard series 11 rifles as a dealer and found the trigger much improved over series 1. I am hard to please when it comes to triggers.
The OP is talking MkV anyway. They are a premium priced rifle of proven design and continue to sell well. That wouldn’t be the case if they were a POS.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cougarz:

Yes I’ve seen that myself.

In my quoted post above I was speaking about some of guides clients.

Yes, I knew you were. I just wanted to include that some guides also don't take care of their rifles.

To your point, a few years ago I was hunting in Newfoundland. One day my guide and I met another hunter and his guide. We talked to them a while and when they left my guide asked me why I had been staring at the other hunter's rifle. I told him that I couldn't believe all of the rust that was in the muzzle of his rifle.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Weatherby rifles in various calibers from 257 Wby to 378 Wby. I sold the 240 and the 460 years ago. I have hunted with them in Alaska for brown bear, British Columbia for black bear, several trips to Africa for various game and out west with no problems ever with a Weatherby. I wouldn't hesitate to take one on another hunt away from home.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Since this discussion is headlined as New Weatherby Rifles, here is my new Weatherby Vanguard MeatEater as discussed above, in 6.5 PRC, topped with a Swarovski Z-5, 3.5X18 44mm BT, Plex scope, with an Outdoorsman's custom ballistic turret and a removable muzzle brake. I also have a Silencer Central Banish 338 for it that is moving through the BATF. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Vanguard2 in .257Wby from a gentleman this year who replaced it with a MarkV in the same caliber. The rifle has been more than agreeable to shooting both CEB ESP Raptors and Barnes TTSX so far into sub-MOA 5 shot groups. Very mild recoil.

That being said, I've spent a little time behind said gentleman's MarkV's in both 30-378 and 257 doing load development for his RSA plains game hunt last fall. Both rifles shot similarly well and seemed very quality pieces. His have composite stocks, not sure if there is a large felt-recoil difference in the two, though both of his were also braked (LOUD!). Arjun, you can pick Bob's brain about both rifles at dinner tomorrow night in NY.

Posts: 1425 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All,
No intention to hijack this as I have never owned a Weatherby. As an aside, Roy Weatherby's biography is a fascinating book about an entrepenuar that truly created an industry. If you can get the book, read it.

I would be interested in the new Weatherby's made in Wyoming - as to accuracy and such if someone has a lot of first hand experience.

Posts: 10146 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just took delivery of my new Left Hand Deluxe 6.5-300 that I ordered back in April, and I gotta say, Weatherby has certainly upped their game. I have about a dozen or so L/H Deluxe guns from Germany and Japan including some Varmintmasters, but the Sheridan Mark V is definitely nicer than any of them. The bluing is impressive to say the least and the finish work on the wood is fantastic....and I love the wide smooth face trigger. Wood to metal fit is excellent as well. The only thing I might change is the plastic magazine follower. Not a big deal on a plastic stocked gun, but on a Deluxe, I would prefer steel.

I'm still waiting on a 338-378 that I ordered in November of 2021. Still no word on when it will ship.

Tony

PS: I haven't shot the 6.5-300 yet, but have a Swarovski 4-16x50 mounted up and ready to go.

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

Though books can be wrong and the internet can be full of rubbish and astroturfers, at least there is a chance of truth getting through there. Magazines, on the other hand, have advertisers to placate and are wary of publishing anything that might upset them. I learned this personally when a review I wrote on a new Sako in 1987 had five paragraphs removed where I complained about the moving of a gas port, considering the slim bolt shroud. I don't expect any magazine will ever review my book on scopes, either, since it micturites in their consomme.

In regard to the Weatherby, I seem to recall that PHs in Africa had noticed some feeding-or-extraction problems with the Mark V, too.

Posts: 4952 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input. I have decided against buying one because after adding a scope one would be looking at a 9 lb+ rifle. A bit heavy IMO for a deer rifle!

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
They are on the heavy side. A lot of the Weatherby rifle bad press is from hunters who never shoot, buy a 300 Weatherby then are terrified of the recoil and miss everything they aim at. I bought a used Mark V in 270 Weatherby cause I gave my BDL in 270 Win to my son. Very robust, very accurate but definitely too heavy for the caliber. I have a 7.5 lb (unloaded with scope) Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. It kicks a bit but is lovely to hunt with.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
They are on the heavy side. A lot of the Weatherby rifle bad press is from hunters who never shoot, buy a 300 Weatherby then are terrified of the recoil and miss everything they aim at. I bought a used Mark V in 270 Weatherby cause I gave my BDL in 270 Win to my son. Very robust, very accurate but definitely too heavy for the caliber. I have a 7.5 lb (unloaded with scope) Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby. It kicks a bit but is lovely to hunt with.

But Weatherby also makes very lightweight models too. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That's true, I always wanted a Mark V walnut/rosewood in 270 Weatherby and at $800 couldn't pass it up. It's wearing a Zeiss Conquest 4-16x scope now cost about as much as the rifle lol

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a deluxe in .257 last year. Always wanted one so I made it my retirement present to me. Wood is stunning. Tiger striping the full length on both sides. It isn’t my primary hunting rifle so it will only be used on sunny days. I have stainless rifles for the many rainy days we get here on the west coast.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
My .257 goes out in all weather, sun, rain and snow. Doesn’t hurt it a bit.

Somehow after hundreds of years blued steel and wood can’t survive now that stainless and composite rifles here. Confused

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic of two new Sheridan Wyoming Weatherbys.

Top is 6.5x300 and bottom is 338-378.

I shot some groups with the 6.5-300. All shots were off the bench at 100 yards. 3 shot groups measured center to center. Swarovski 4-16 Habicht installed. Sinclair rest, front and back.

Weatherby Factory 140gr Hornady, Group 1 - 2.5"
140gr Accubond 1.1"
143gr ELD-X 7/16"
130gr Berger Hunter 1-3/8"
140gr Partition 15/16"
Weatherby Factory 130gr Scirroco 1.1"
Weatherby Factory 140gr Hornady, Group 2 - 3.1"
120gr TTSX 3/4"

Tony

This was the best group of the day.

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
All,
No intention to hijack this as I have never owned a Weatherby. As an aside, Roy Weatherby's biography is a fascinating book about an entrepenuar that truly created an industry. If you can get the book, read it.

I would be interested in the new Weatherby's made in Wyoming - as to accuracy and such if someone has a lot of first hand experience.

I agree the book is fascinating. Have always been a Roy Weatherby fan.

I have a Wyoming 30-378 Accumark. I like it a lot. Never had any other version so can’t compare. It is very accurate and has a good trigger. Stock fits me well.

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I had a MkV Deluxe on order for 18 months before I gave up and bought a Hunter Bronze in .270Wby. I’ve only had it out once, but it shoots great.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Weatherby rifle I have had experience with was a MKV in 460WM.

Shot and killed hogs just fine.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:
Here's a pic of two new Sheridan Wyoming Weatherbys.

Top is 6.5x300 and bottom is 338-378.

I shot some groups with the 6.5-300. All shots were off the bench at 100 yards. 3 shot groups measured center to center. Swarovski 4-16 Habicht installed. Sinclair rest, front and back.

Weatherby Factory 140gr Hornady, Group 1 - 2.5"
140gr Accubond 1.1"
143gr ELD-X 7/16"
130gr Berger Hunter 1-3/8"
140gr Partition 15/16"
Weatherby Factory 130gr Scirroco 1.1"
Weatherby Factory 140gr Hornady, Group 2 - 3.1"
120gr TTSX 3/4"

Tony

This was the best group of the day.

They are so bright I have to wear shades

Cool